The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I don't personally look down on nurses, but I'm slightly envious of how much easier it is to get a job as a nurse rather in a competitive I will be going into, it shows they're generally caring people (they should be) which is something people underrate a lot, my mums was a support worker and now a manager for other support workers, and I've always been proud of her for doing that, when people talked to her (when she was a support worker) about what she did they sometimes looked down at her, and they really shouldn't, in some ways it's more admirable to care for others than making money for some entrepreneur

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Why would you look down on someone who could potentially save your life?

I think people become nurses so they can help the world, either that or the wage

Like for me I want to be a midwife, why? Because I want to help bring life into the world.
To help the process of life seems widely fascinating to me for some reason. And I've always been interested in Biology. Without a midwife I don't think you'd get very far in delivering your own baby.

(Yes I know many people have managed to do that however there's risks and then health related risks, and hygiene etc. And the fact that if you don't take the placenta out properly you can leave some of it inside you and it can become infected and potentially kill you)
Basically without the health sector (midwives, nurses, doctors, etc) you'd be in the potty So i think if anyone looks down on them I think they should think twice considering their the ones who they go to when they're ill or sick.

Imagine if the world turned to the apocalypse (zombie) all businesses stopped.
Those with the medical knowledge would help the world more than those who like to have a profit.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
No, of course not. Nurses choose to do a job based almost entirely on helping others rather than on a payslip, and I can't see what I would find to disrespect in that.
I think people generally look favourably upon nurses, despite the way they have been treated in recent news stories about neglect.
Personally, I would've thought most people enter nursing because they want to help care for people.
I wouldn't say nurses are intelligence by my (relatively high) standards, but I wouldn't think they were stupid either.
I think there's always the curiosity of why nursing over becoming a doctor for example. But I have the utmost respect for anyone who is willing to put up with as much grief as they get on wards and still come to work everyday with the interests of others at heart.
Many people here underestimate nurses, especially general nurses. I don't know why, but I guess they think that nursing is something "easy". To me, nurses are amazing! Especially friendly ones, since they're much easier to confront. They help people who need aid urgently; without the bother of going through time-consuming appointments. Yes, they are very intelligent! Nurses taught me the basics in treating injuries and wounds. :colondollar:

Nurses have saved my dad by rushing him to the ICU for tracheotomy when everyone else gave up on his cancer. So yeah, I find nurses to be amazing.
(edited 10 years ago)
If that's so, why do so many people want to become a doctor instead of a nurse? All of the reasons that apply to wanting to become a doctor apply to wanting to become a nurse. Well, all those besides the status/money. :rolleyes:
Original post by im so academic
All of the reasons that apply to wanting to become a doctor apply to wanting to become a nurse.

Except the fact that they're completely different jobs, of course.
why would they :confused:

there is no reason to look down on them
Original post by shiggydiggy
Except the fact that they're completely different jobs, of course.

People always forget that part :smile:
Nurses are people I have great admiration and respect for. I certainly don't look down on those who've looked after me when I've been in hospital.
No. My mum's a nurse.
There are a lot of people who become nurses and don't do the job properly though. They don't want to get their hands dirty and/or aren't caring enough. :frown:
I've never looked down on a nurse, it's a fantastic and very much needed profession and nurses do not get enough recognition, praise or for that matter even money for the work they do. I have so much respect for nurses.
Reply 14
I feel that nurses to a fantastic job :h: Of course, you must love your job and love patients, not talk with patients all grumpy and literally wanting to cut their throat because you had a bad morning :lolwut: Well, people become nurses because probably they really enjoy interacting with people, like challenging environment :smile: Nurses should be more acknowledged as they do so much work! I think they do even much more work than some doctors :smile: But, there's one but.. only people who really enjoy people should be as nurses and not because it's a good pay :K: Not everyone can be a nurse :h:
Reply 15
No I don't look down upon nurses. I think a lot of the time nurses don't get enough recognition and support. They work crazy hours to care for our people, while they have to leave theirs at home. There are obviously some bad nurses out there who abuse their power or neglect patients but its the same with in every field - you will get those that care and you will get those who are only in it for the money.
No... I personally think nursing is a very academic course... Here is how I view it...

Doctors- someone who didn't drop out of education and did very very well

Nurses- someone who did OR didn't drop out of education but is very intellectual but maybe went through phases that effected their education but at the same time is very very clever and can study medical work.

Doctors is more for those who did a lot of schooling whereas nursing is for those who didn't do a lot of schooling but has almost 98% the same intellect as doctors.

I find that nurses tend to have the same intellect as doctors but doctors have it more.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
No they are smart, leave uni with a 20k job and rising, as opposed to be unemployed or working in tesco
No way, I am jealous of nurses in a way because I wish I had done that instead of what I am doing.I respect nurses and from friends I know it is damn hard work.
Reply 19
Original post by Shazzarr
Why would you look down on someone who could potentially save your life?

I think people become nurses so they can help the world, either that or the wage

Like for me I want to be a midwife, why? Because I want to help bring life into the world.
To help the process of life seems widely fascinating to me for some reason. And I've always been interested in Biology. Without a midwife I don't think you'd get very far in delivering your own baby.

(Yes I know many people have managed to do that however there's risks and then health related risks, and hygiene etc. And the fact that if you don't take the placenta out properly you can leave some of it inside you and it can become infected and potentially kill you)
Basically without the health sector (midwives, nurses, doctors, etc) you'd be in the potty So i think if anyone looks down on them I think they should think twice considering their the ones who they go to when they're ill or sick.

Imagine if the world turned to the apocalypse (zombie) all businesses stopped.
Those with the medical knowledge would help the world more than those who like to have a profit.

I want to be a midwife for all the vaginas. :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending