The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ledleyking123
Sky sports are very reliable the fact the bid went in yesterday and barca haven't rejected it means it's near enough done

:rolleyes:

There are no words...
I think the European experience is important in the sense you have a lot of games to play, and of different importances at different stages of the season. How you rotate the squad and how strong team you take to other teams, how you set up against French sides, or things you need to remember about German teams, are all little tricks that are going to come with experience that ensure you can run both campaigns side by side without detriment.

I think Moyes will be okay, he's got plenty of experience in how to manage a squad throughout the season, his Everton teams the performances he got are proof of that, he's got a bigger and better pool to choose from now. As for the experience, United do have the benefit of having Sir Alex about the club if Moyes did want advice, plus he has people like Giggs and Neville in those roles who have recent experience he can talk to. Most of the squad don't need hand holding, Vidic Ferdiand Evra Carrick Rooney RVP, even Nani and Anderson are seasoned pros in Europe who have faced plenty of these players before. Moyes will have some to learn but I don't think its a Harry Redknapp at Spurs job, plus we don't realistically have a chance of winning the CL so we've probably got 2-3 seasons at least where the quarters are as far as we are going anyway.
Reply 7062
Original post by ledleyking123
Sky sports are very reliable the fact the bid went in yesterday and barca haven't rejected it means it's near enough done

Or they haven't rejected it as their manager has had to quit yesterday, its encouraging news but the deal is far from done, the ball is in barca's court if they want the money they can sell and Cesc will be happy to join us, or they can keep a happy Cesc with them. Though at least we are finally after a WC CM.
Original post by Zürich
:rolleyes:

There are no words...

No point trying to wind people up at this moment in time or even trying to counter anything, not much sense being spoken. Just wait until it inevitably flops, as did Thiago, then come back in and attack with furious lolz.

That's what I did with Benteke :smile:
Reply 7064
I think it's very unlikely that any top tier player will contemplate joining us until at least a year into Moyes' tenure here, just to see how it's going. Players like Fabregas won't want to come aboard a sinking ship, and it's completely understandable to believe that to be honest.
Reply 7065
Original post by Ben,
I think it's very unlikely that any top tier player will contemplate joining us until at least a year into Moyes' tenure here, just to see how it's going. Players like Fabregas won't want to come aboard a sinking ship, and it's completely understandable to believe that to be honest.

Fabregas to Manchester United Football Club
Anything is possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcz_kDCBTBk
Original post by cost
very encouraging news about Fab, ive always said if Barca accept a bid then he would choose UTD or Arsenal.

Why would Cesc choose Utd over Arsenal? Please list the reasons
Reply 7067
Original post by Ben,

You realise Chelsea change managers on a daily basis and still get good players? Just because Ferguson is gone, doesn't mean it's the end of Manchester United.
Original post by sevchenko

He's just a troll mate! (meaning he believes everything the papers/news say). I really don't want to go into another long debate on this matter (if you've missed the drama feel free to look back on this thread, you'll understand what I mean). So lets all just assume that Fabregas is going nowhere at the moment.
Reply 7069
Original post by Ben,

So, a change of manager means all our world class players have suddenly become like conference level players overnight, and Man Utd will be relegated this season? Seems legit. :facepalm2:
Original post by poiuytrewq54321
He's just a troll mate! (meaning he believes everything the papers/news say). I really don't want to go into another long debate on this matter (if you've missed the drama feel free to look back on this thread, you'll understand what I mean). So lets all just assume that Fabregas is going nowhere at the moment.

Tbh that's the most logical outcome
Reply 7071
Original post by xDave-
You realise Chelsea change managers on a daily basis and still get good players? Just because Ferguson is gone, doesn't mean it's the end of Manchester United.

I didn't say it would be the end of Manchester United, I was trying to make the point (badly, I admit) that players like Strootman or Fellaini; while not maybe the most popular of transfers, are the type of players we can expect to buy while we're in a state of transition. Perhaps 'sinking ship' was a too strong, however I can understand why players might think there might be a drop in results, at least in the short-term, after Fergie left and while Moyes gets to grips with managing one of the biggest clubs in the world.
Original post by sevchenko

Better players, better recent success, better chance of winning trophies, better platform from which to continue to build views of how good he is. Choosing United over Arsenal is quite simply the best and most likely outcome should it come down to that.
Reply 7073
Original post by Akkuz
So, a change of manager means all our world class players have suddenly become like conference level players overnight, and Man Utd will be relegated this season? Seems legit. :facepalm2:

Sinking ship was too strong on my part. I was trying to make the point that it's perfectly reasonable for potential transfer targets like Fabregas to look at us and see that short-term at least, results might suffer.
Original post by Tommyjw
Better players, better recent success, better chance of winning trophies, better platform from which to continue to build views of how good he is. Choosing United over Arsenal is quite simply the best and most likely outcome should it come down to that.

Bookies have Arsenal at 6/4 and Utd at 9/4. Needless to say Barca are at 1/5...

But obviously Utd fans know better.
Original post by Stopmessing
Speaking of CL contenders, isn't it quite remarkable that almost all of the big European teams have changed their manager this year? Even though Pep's Bayern are going to be routed as favourites, it does make the competition slightly less predictable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

United, Chelsea, City, Bayern, Barca, Real Madrid, PSG, Malaga

Quite ridiculous actually if you think about it.
Original post by Zürich
Bookies have Arsenal at 6/4 and Utd at 9/4. Needless to say Barca are at 1/5...

But obviously Utd fans know better.

Did you seriously just use betting odds as substantiation for your view?

I mean... wow... that's the level of embarrassment where I just feel bad for you.
Reply 7077
Original post by Tommyjw
Did you seriously just use betting odds as substantiation for your view?

I mean... wow... that's the level of embarrassment where I just feel bad for you.

The irony.
Reply 7078
Original post by manchesterunited15
Let's be honest Arsenal had a better European season than Chelsea.

I know this comment is from a week ago, but don't tell me you are serious.
Original post by Tommyjw

I'll give you the first two. Not the third though, not a better chance of winning trophies because Moyes is entirely an unknown quantity at a club like United. Could easily have a bad start (your early games are difficult) and the fans could pressure him, you don't know how he's going to react to that.

Better platform from which to continue to build views of how good he is

Did I read that right? What the hell does that mean :rofl:

You need to understand that if Arsenal get involved he'll choose us over you. 8 years he spent at the club, 8 years. He hasn't lost the emotional connection to the fans and the manager. Not to mention that if he joins and we get someone like Suarez that propels us above you into City/Chelsea territory.

Latest