The Student Room Group

Mathematics/Business PGCE 2014

Good afternoon,

I am currently studying business studies at Plymouth University. Whilst I have managed a 50% Maths content in my first and second year through Economics, Accounting and Statistics modules; in my final year I won't have a 50% mathematical content. I did not take a maths a-level at college.

When I graduate I will apply to a Mathematics PGCE. Does anyone have any advice to improve my chances to get on a course? Does anybody know the likely hood of me getting on to a Mathematics course?

I know some people will say that I should go on to teach Business; I have considered it. Having spent much time deliberating it, I am very passionate about teaching Mathematics and I feel that teaching children to be confident with Maths is something that they will carry through life with them. I have many friends, who hate Maths and actively avoid situations where they may need to use Maths. I would consider teaching Business, if I could not get on to a Mathematics course - as my overall goal is to teach at secondary school. I believe that you do not need to teach a specific subject to enhance the lives of children - it is an opportunity that all teachers receive.

If I am completely honest, the biggest deterrent from teaching Business is the lack of demand for business teachers.

If anyone has any feedback/advice I would appreciate it.

Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by ihearthomos
Good afternoon,

I am currently studying business studies at Plymouth University. Whilst I have managed a 50% Maths content in my first and second year through Economics, Accounting and Statistics modules; in my final year I won't have a 50% mathematical content. I did not take a maths a-level at college.

When I graduate I will apply to a Mathematics PGCE. Does anyone have any advice to improve my chances to get on a course? Does anybody know the likely hood of me getting on to a Mathematics course?

I know some people will say that I should go on to teach Business; I have considered it. Having spent much time deliberating it, I am very passionate about teaching Mathematics and I feel that teaching children to be confident with Maths is something that they will carry through life with them. I have many friends, who hate Maths and actively avoid situations where they may need to use Maths. I would consider teaching Business, if I could not get on to a Mathematics course - as my overall goal is to teach at secondary school. I believe that you do not need to teach a specific subject to enhance the lives of children - it is an opportunity that all teachers receive.

If I am completely honest, the biggest deterrent from teaching Business is the lack of demand for business teachers.

If anyone has any feedback/advice I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

The fact that you did not do Maths A level but you are going to be a maths teacher in secondary school is very worrying.

As a maths post grad, the mathsmatics you need to know to explain to students on simple concept is very complicated. For example, you need good knowledge of Advanced Analysis to explain to a 16 yr old why you need to do Calculus. You need to know statistics well enough to come up with practical answer to a yr7 on the use of median over mean, normal distribution, ...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

I agree with the A-level concern, hence me asking for advice. I am asking for advice on my chances of becoming a Maths teacher, as well as what I need to do to get on a course - do not worry, I am not training yet.

I feel confident in my ability to teach years 7 - 11 but the post 16 content is where I would struggle. I understand that I can be taught the content via a knowledge enhancement course, if I can get a place on a PGCE.

As I am going in to my final year in September, what would you recommend? Would it be sensible to do an A/S level alongside my final year? I feel that it wouldn't be.

I have thought about doing business, as it is what I have studied and I do find it interesting. I really want to be a teacher, that is what I have been working towards for the last couple of years, I would hate to train in a subject and not find a job but I would also hate to train in a subject and not be excellent at teaching it.

As you can see, I have put a great deal of thought in to this and am conflicted; which is why I have posted on TSR.
Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

I agree with the A-level concern, hence me asking for advice. I am asking for advice on my chances of becoming a Maths teacher, as well as what I need to do to get on a course - do not worry, I am not training yet.

I feel confident in my ability to teach years 7 - 11 but the post 16 content is where I would struggle. I understand that I can be taught the content via a knowledge enhancement course, if I can get a place on a PGCE.

As I am going in to my final year in September, what would you recommend? Would it be sensible to do an A/S level alongside my final year? I feel that it wouldn't be.

I have thought about doing business, as it is what I have studied and I do find it interesting. I really want to be a teacher, that is what I have been working towards for the last couple of years, I would hate to train in a subject and not find a job but I would also hate to train in a subject and not be excellent at teaching it.

As you can see, I have put a great deal of thought in to this and am conflicted; which is why I have posted on TSR.

Most secondary schools are 11-16 so you do not ever need to teach post 16 if you don't feel suitably qualified.

Don't do AS alongside your degree - it would be pointless.
Reply 4
Original post by Mr M
Most secondary schools are 11-16 so you do not ever need to teach post 16 if you don't feel suitably qualified.

Don't do AS alongside your degree - it would be pointless.

Hi Mr M,

Thank you for your advice.

I have seen a course in Bristol that is Maths and Business. The maths covered is 11-16, so I will apply for this course. I feel confident with maths at this level. The business side of it is14-19, which I am also confident with.

Thanks again, I've seen your replies in these forums so I am flattered you've responded to my query!
Reply 5
What was the math content ratio like in your second year?
Reply 6
Original post by Meus
What was the math content ratio like in your second year?

Hi,

In my second year it was 50/50 as I took double economics and accounting. I took business operations which had some mathematical content such as standard deviation.
Hi Mr M,

Thank you for your advice.

I have seen a course in Bristol that is Maths and Business. The maths covered is 11-16, so I will apply for this course. I feel confident with maths at this level. The business side of it is14-19, which I am also confident with.

Thanks again, I've seen your replies in these forums so I am flattered you've responded to my query!

Are you now a Maths teacher?
Original post by FOODFORTHOUGHT96
Are you now a Maths teacher?

The member you are addressing hasn't visited TSR since May 2014.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending