The Student Room Group

Help! BTEC level 3 health and social care EXTENDED?

I am so confused!

Here is what happened - So I have applied for two colleges to study BTEC level 3 Health and Social Care. In addition to this course I hoping to study Biology A level.

So I got my letters back inviting me for interviews. One letter from one of the colleges says "You have been invited for an interview for the BTEC level 3 Health and Social Care." The other says "You have been invited for an interview for the BTEC Level 3 Health and Social Care EXTENDED Diploma"

Are these two different courses? If so, I have made a silly mistake and applied for two different courses eek!

What are the differences between the two, and what would be the best option for me bearing in mind I would like to study Midwifery at university?

Thank you for reading!!xxx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Pippie2222
I am so confused!

Here is what happened - So I have applied for two colleges to study BTEC level 3 Health and Social Care. In addition to this course I hoping to study Biology A level.

So I got my letters back inviting me for interviews. One letter from one of the colleges says "You have been invited for an interview for the BTEC level 3 Health and Social Care." The other says "You have been invited for an interview for the BTEC Level 3 Health and Social Care EXTENDED Diploma"

Are these two different courses? If so, I have made a silly mistake and applied for two different courses eek!

What are the differences between the two, and what would be the best option for me bearing in mind I would like to study Midwifery at university?

Thank you for reading!!xxx

Hello there =]

I've recently been accepted into university to study midwifery through a BTEC.

When refering to level 3 BTEC's there are a few possilbities of what the actual course consists of it will be either a 'Extended Diploma', 'Diploma', '90 credit Diploma', 'Subsidiary Diploma' or 'Certificate' the difference is generally the amount of units studied and therefore the potential UCAS points available. It seems like the 2nd letter specified that they are offering an extended diploma, whereas the 1st simply didn't mention which course it specifically offers

- it could just as easily also be an extended diploma.

Generally speaking prospective midwifery students want to be doing an extended diploma as it offers up to 420 UCAS points compared to others which cap lower then some university requirements, it might be that you could do a national certificate if you also do an A-level (I didnt do any A-levels).

I'd simply contact the first college and ask which they specifically offer, or check their website.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Pep_
Hello there =]

I've recently been accepted into university to study midwifery through a BTEC.

When refering to level 3 BTEC's there are a few possilbities of what the actual course consists of it will be either a 'Extended Diploma', 'Diploma', '90 credit Diploma', 'Subsidiary Diploma' or 'Certificate' the difference is generally the amount of units studied and therefore the potential UCAS points available. It seems like the 2nd letter specified that they are offering an extended diploma, whereas the 1st simply didn't mention which course it specifically offers

- it could just as easily also be an extended diploma.

Generally speaking prospective midwifery students want to be doing an extended diploma as it offers up to 420 UCAS points compared to others which cap lower then some university requirements, it might be that you could do a national certificate if you also do an A-level (I didnt do any A-levels).

I'd simply contact the first college and ask which they specifically offer, or check their website.

Hey! Oh thank you so much for your help - that clears things up a bit!! Ok great thank you I will phone up and make sure it is the Extended Diploma and it's just a case of them choosing not to add it into the wording! Thank you again!!!xxxx
Reply 3
hi do you know if BTEC health ans social care subsidiary diploma is easy?
Reply 4
[QUOTE="honeyhazel;43564404"]
hi do you know if BTEC health ans social care subsidiary diploma is easy?

One of my friends does it and finds the work easy but the workload intense, so be prepared to graft and to tackle long essays. :smile:
Reply 5
[QUOTE="Rixion;43584349"]
Original post by honeyhazel

One of my friends does it and finds the work easy but the workload intense, so be prepared to graft and to tackle long essays. :smile:

Thanks, so the work is easy? there are no exams in this course are there? what are the essays like? is it possible for you to show me an example or explain?? Thank you that would really help. x
Reply 6
[QUOTE="honeyhazel;43606835"]
Original post by Rixion

Thanks, so the work is easy? there are no exams in this course are there? what are the essays like? is it possible for you to show me an example or explain?? Thank you that would really help. x

There are no exams in BTEC :smile:
spec: http://www.edexcel.com/quals/nationals10/hsc/Pages/default.aspx
Reply 7
[QUOTE="Rixion;43614853"]

Thanks do you happen to have any examples of the essays or can u get hold of one?? Also what is the maximum ucas points equivalent for this course?
Original post by Rixion

There are no exams :smile:
You'll have to put a lot into it, especially with the merits and distinctions as they are higher grades, etc :smile:
I'm doing the extended diploma and I'm going into my 2nd year in September :biggrin:
Reply 9
What is the difference between health and social care and health and social care (health science)?
i want to study child nursing in university.
and is it better for me to do btec health and social care or applied science?
Reply 10
Original post by Tamanna_095
What is the difference between health and social care and health and social care (health science)?
i want to study child nursing in university.
and is it better for me to do btec health and social care or applied science?

Hey I done the BTEC in health and social care level 3 extended diploma in college and I'm going to uni to do adult nursing this September. Health science of the health and social care BTEC would be more focused on the science topics throughout the course and probably more detailed in terms of anatomy and physiology and biology aspects of the course. Where as the general health and social I done was based on little bits of everything and I studied a wide range of units which ranged from anatomy and physiology, to laws and policies and procedures when practicing as a health and social care professional etc etc if you need anything then pm me I'm happy to help :smile: ps I would suggest you ask the various colleges near you what they offer and look at the units you will study in both the general health and social care course and the science one, I hope this helps in some way!!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Rixion

Not being mean but I recently done my 2 years of the level 3 extended diploma in health and social care and I found some essays a lot harder than I first thought especially in year 2 and the course itself was fairly intense and the essay load was a heavy and at points my mates studying A-levels had less work than me, yeah we don't have exams in a BTEC but trust me we have a lot of pressure with regards to essays and work placements, it's just as hard as many other courses like A-levels if not its harder at points not being rude by the way !:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
[QUOTE="Lukestar;43739226"]

Not being mean but I recently done my 2 years of the level 3 extended diploma in health and social care and I found some essays a lot harder than I first thought especially in year 2 and the course itself was fairly intense and the essay load was a heavy and at points my mates studying A-levels had less work than me, yeah we don't have exams in a BTEC but trust me we have a lot of pressure with regards to essays and work placements, it's just as hard as many other courses like A-levels if not its harder at points not being rude by the way !:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi thanks for the reply do you think you could show me some of those essays?? that would be very helpful? also im planning to do the level 3 subsidiary level, its a 1 year course
(edited 10 years ago)
Hello I am currently on my second year studying the extended diploma btec in health and social care. I have completed around 140 hours of placement in my first year, but this year I am really not enjoying my placement so I just quit going. The specification says that I need to complete 200 hours overall. I was wondering what happens if you stop attending placement? Will I fail the course and have wasted 2 years??.

Thanks
could someone help me with unit one communication work please?
Original post by charsti
Hello I am currently on my second year studying the extended diploma btec in health and social care. I have completed around 140 hours of placement in my first year, but this year I am really not enjoying my placement so I just quit going. The specification says that I need to complete 200 hours overall. I was wondering what happens if you stop attending placement? Will I fail the course and have wasted 2 years??.

Thanks

hello you do need the full 200 hours and around 350 I'm told to go into social work, the more hours the better it looks I presume?
Original post by chloe-080899
could someone help me with unit one communication work please?

if you message me I could try and help? :smile:
i have been thinking about doing the btec level 3 in health and social care, i already work at the local hospital at the weekends and wondered if i would still need to do placements or if my weekend work could contribute toward the hours i need
Reply 18
[QUOTE="Lukestar;43739226"]

Posted from TSR Mobile

Get your feel and Btech have a fair workload but i wouldn't say its harder than Alevel. Trust A2 Physics or Maths (inc FP) are the hardest level 3 qualifications.
Reply 19
I believe Extended means that its will be more than a year as some Btech can be a 1 year course. Plus extended is better qualified.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending