The Student Room Group

Starting over

Hi all,

My name is Andrew and I have recently signed up to TSR looking for advice.

I'm 20 years old and suffer from hip dysplasia, it has had a very big effect on my life in many ways. When I was a kid I was always in hospital for operations throughout all my school life causing me to lose out on my studies and never getting to complete my GCSE's and moving onto A-levels. It also made me unable to do any work experience. I openly admit over the last few years I let laziness get the better of me because the whole situation taken my discipline away from me, so all I have got is my provisional driving licence, national insurance card and not much money for studies.

I feel like I have missed out on a lot, all my friends are either working full time or finished uni which makes me feel so out of time. So for a guy who has near on little to nothing, please can you help me?

Many Thanks for listening, Andrew
Reply 1
Original post by Night_owl_93
Hi all,

My name is Andrew and I have recently signed up to TSR looking for advice.

I'm 20 years old and suffer from hip dysplasia, it has had a very big effect on my life in many ways. When I was a kid I was always in hospital for operations throughout all my school life causing me to lose out on my studies and never getting to complete my GCSE's and moving onto A-levels. It also made me unable to do any work experience. I openly admit over the last few years I let laziness get the better of me because the whole situation taken my discipline away from me, so all I have got is my provisional driving licence, national insurance card and not much money for studies.

I feel like I have missed out on a lot, all my friends are either working full time or finished uni which makes me feel so out of time. So for a guy who has near on little to nothing, please can you help me?

Many Thanks for listening, Andrew

Sorry to hear about the difficulties you've faced.

I'll keep this general and take it from there. You're 20 so still very young. What would you like to do?
Reply 2
Original post by River85
Sorry to hear about the difficulties you've faced.

I'll keep this general and take it from there. You're 20 so still very young. What would you like to do?

Where to start? believe me, there is so much I want to do, education wise, I want to get my GCSE's (the list of subjects would be endless!) moving onto A-levels then university. Get a career in one of the subjects, possibly an apprenticeship, but I feel its safe to get an education and not throw everything in at the same time. To be honest, I don't have a definite career goal, but it would more likely be in law, engineering or science (those are my main interests).

Hope this helps :smile:
Hi Andrew sorry to hear you have had trouble but your first step would be to get your gcse at a local collage english and maths are the 2 you really must have then do your a levels from what you have said you like I'd recommed psyhics and maths then if you wamt university good lucl

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, it's good that you're not beating yourself up/ feeling sorry for yourself and rather you actually trying to do something :biggrin:. In your posts above which I've read it seems that you have a really good idea of what you want to do, so now you just need to figure out how you are going to get there. You say you want to get your GCSE's so that will probably be your first aim. You could do research into whether any colleges around you offer GCSE's and will allow you to take them their. I'm not quite sure how it works but once you do that you could then speak to them about the course you would like to take and ask them about books and any preparation you can do in order to excel in the subjects you choose. You might even be able to do some stuff online and at home but this might be a bit more difficult if you would have to teach yourself the stuff. I imagine this could be quite expensive but if you explain to them the stuff about your medical history and get proof from the doctors etc I think they may be able to help you (again sorry I really don't know that much :cool:)

Once you do get your subjects sorted out and timetables and once you've settled down then you can start thinking about volunteering just to pump up your cv and get you more experience. You may even be able to get something that pays e.g. just doing stuff in a cafe etc which would give you a little bit of money
Reply 5
Original post by jonathanemptage
Hi Andrew sorry to hear you have had trouble but your first step would be to get your gcse at a local collage english and maths are the 2 you really must have then do your a levels from what you have said you like I'd recommed psyhics and maths then if you wamt university good lucl

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks Jon, I will look into it :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by CasualSoul
Hey, it's good that you're not beating yourself up/ feeling sorry for yourself and rather you actually trying to do something :biggrin:. In your posts above which I've read it seems that you have a really good idea of what you want to do, so now you just need to figure out how you are going to get there. You say you want to get your GCSE's so that will probably be your first aim. You could do research into whether any colleges around you offer GCSE's and will allow you to take them their. I'm not quite sure how it works but once you do that you could then speak to them about the course you would like to take and ask them about books and any preparation you can do in order to excel in the subjects you choose. You might even be able to do some stuff online and at home but this might be a bit more difficult if you would have to teach yourself the stuff. I imagine this could be quite expensive but if you explain to them the stuff about your medical history and get proof from the doctors etc I think they may be able to help you (again sorry I really don't know that much :cool:)

Once you do get your subjects sorted out and timetables and once you've settled down then you can start thinking about volunteering just to pump up your cv and get you more experience. You may even be able to get something that pays e.g. just doing stuff in a cafe etc which would give you a little bit of money

Hi CasualSoul, I really like your idea at the end of your post, it looks really helpful, thanks :smile:
Hi CasualSoul, I really like your idea at the end of your post, it looks really helpful, thanks :smile:

You're welcome:biggrin:
Thanks Jon, I will look into it :smile:

glad I could help gcse courses at collage usually take 1 year not the standerd 2 I highly recommend some kind of part time job while you study I had one and I still do it on a casual basis

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest