The Student Room Group

US Bombs the Great Barrier Rief

This is absolutely despicable, if I was Australian PM I would declare war with America and cease trade, there is absolutely no excuse for bombing an environmental landmark.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23394233
Did you actually read the article?
Reply 2
They dropped non-fused bombs, well away from the coral and in deep water, so they could land safely after an aborted training mission, which whist regrettable in itself is the least destructive course of action that they could have taken. What would you have had them do, crash on landing with half a tonne of explosives each, just ready to cook off?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Misleading headline, causing a fuss over nothing. Inert bombs that didn't actually hit the reef area, would have been a lot worse if the bombs hadn't been jettisoned and the Harrier's had been lost.
Reply 4
You clearly haven't read the article.
Reply 5
The bombs could have easily went off.
Reply 6
This is TSR. Don't let facts get in the way of some hatred.
Reply 7
They're not bombs. They're inert.

Basically, they're shaped lumps of concrete. Absolutely no explosives whatsoever.
Reply 8
Original post by Drewski
They're not bombs. They're inert.

Basically, they're shaped lumps of concrete. Absolutely no explosives whatsoever.

Two were inert, two were live but unarmed and failed to explode.
Original post by alex193
Two were inert, two were live but unarmed and failed to explode.

Unarmed bombs have a habit of not exploding. But I have to say that the OPs outrage bus seems to have stalled. A non story really. Military aircraft jettison ordanance in a safe area to land safely.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Unarmed bombs have a habit of not exploding. But I have to say that the OPs outrage bus seems to have stalled. A non story really. Military aircraft jettison ordanance in a safe area to land safely.

Nonsense. The Australian navy clearly needs to immediately sortie to bombard the US western coastal cities as per the OP's suggestion.
Reply 11
Original post by Duke Mehnard
Nonsense. The Australian navy clearly needs to immediately sortie to bombard the US western coastal cities as per the OP's suggestion.

After which, we will discuss the Former Commonwealth of Australia.
Original post by Duke Mehnard

Would this be with or without the help of the US Navy's 7th and 3rd fleets giving them a hand with replenishment at sea to get there in the first place?
Original post by Isengard
This is absolutely despicable, if I was Australian PM I would declare war with America and cease trade, there is absolutely no excuse for bombing an environmental landmark.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23394233

Then not only would your reef get bombed but you're whole country would be bombed into next Thursday

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
The bombs have been recovered and disposed of: http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=76302
Reply 15
good grief

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending