The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ThatOxbridgeGuy
I am going to cambridge though so the social class will be a lot higher than average...

Ah, you will only be mixing with your own class when you get there ... well that, of course, is different

Perhaps posting in the Cambridge forum would be better - they can tell you about the specific costs
Original post by Democracy
You need to start thinking like a student...£20 is not a "very cheap meal" :wink: :tongue:

:lolwut:

What would be then?!

OP I have the same as you, and it'll be fine. But I don't like getting pissed so I don't spend it on that..
Original post by Elcano
Well, depends on how you make it or where you buy it... ^^

Indeed :smile:
Original post by Democracy
You need to start thinking like a student...£20 is not a "very cheap meal" :wink: :tongue:

Likewise, if you pre-drink you can end up saving a lot of money on nights out tbh.

Where on earth can you eat at a restaurant for less than £20?
Hey. I'm going to be joining uni in September and was wondering how much I'll need per month considering accommodation is paid for? I'll be living in Canterbury.
I spend usually £40 a week after accommodation. and that £40 has to include food and transportation.

£100 for pure disposable income would be a dream.
Original post by TenOfThem
I am going to assume that you are serious

You will be going to restaurants alone ... no students visit them with anything like this frequency

Agreed. For me, going out for a meal is a luxury and not something I did as a full time student every week.

There's no reason for you to spend £20 a week on coffee. I mean, who meets someone for coffee every day?

£100 a week is a lot of money for a student, imo. You could quite easily live off £50 a week and save the rest.

Have you included travel, textbooks, etc. in your budget?
Original post by chef
ok it's threads like this that make me realise just how some people piss away their money. it honestly boggles my mind that some one could spend 20% of their money on coffee.

:sadnod: My parents haven't given me a penny towards uni, aside from buying me the flights here and money for bedding, kitchen supplies, etc. (but I paid for my laptop). Pretty glad about that as I think it's really important to learn how to save and how to wisely spend your own money.
Reply 28
Pissed myself at £30 on a night out and £20 for a very cheap meal.

I've done nights out in a fiver, actually had one of the best nights of the year for like £3.30, a very cheap meal is £3-5 for me as well. Just buy and make the coffee yourself? It's not ****ing hard. I lived in the most expensive part of London last year, btw, and didn't receive any more than the minimum loan, so it's not as if I'm not well off/or surrounded by cheap things, you just have to be realistic. £20 on a 'very cheap meal', what the ****.

This guy has absolutely no clue about the real world.

Anything that isn't steak or lobster? :confused:

I've done it several times this year. And no, I'm not talking about McDonald's and the like.
Wow, and I feel guilty if I spend over £50 a week...
Reply 32

Are you actually trolling? ****ing everywhere that isn't Michelin starred.
Reply 33
Got an offer for Oxbridge, yet too stupid to realise £100/week is more than enough?
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
:lolwut:

What would be then?!

OP I have the same as you, and it'll be fine. But I don't like getting pissed so I don't spend it on that..

£20 is cheap compared to the Lanesborough perhaps, but it's not within the average student's budget, and certainly not on a regular basis imho. Think all you can eat Chinese for £6 and you're getting warmer :wink:

And here I was thinking you're one of this forum's smarter users :wink: :tongue:
Original post by Row Z
Pissed myself at £30 on a night out and £20 for a very cheap meal.

I've done nights out in a fiver, actually had one of the best nights of the year for like £3.30, a very cheap meal is £3-5 for me as well. Just buy and make the coffee yourself? It's not ****ing hard. I lived in the most expensive part of London last year, btw, and didn't receive any more than the minimum loan, so it's not as if I'm not well off/or surrounded by cheap things, you just have to be realistic. £20 on a 'very cheap meal', what the ****.

This guy has absolutely no clue about the real world.

Please tell me the name of a quality restaurant (Hint: McDonalds doesn't count) where you can buy a starter, main course and glass of wine for less than £20?
Reply 36
:facepalm::facepalm2:

Hi guys, I'm new here.

I'm going to be starting at university in September and I'm looking for some budgeting advice.

My parents will be paying for all the basics like accommodation, travel to and from uni, textbooks, insurance, clothes and food. After this, they will give me an allowance of £100 a week for expenses but I don't know if this is enough?

Many thanks,

James
Original post by Noble.
Got an offer for Oxbridge, yet too stupid to realise £100/week is more than enough?

:teehee: :rofl: Would rep if I could, sir.
Original post by OU Student
I've done it several times this year. And no, I'm not talking about McDonald's and the like.

Really?! Where abouts? I'd rather not use discount coupons or vouchers though because it's a rather embarrassing way to pay :s-smilie:
Reply 39
Socially. I usually meet friends over coffee and intend to do a lot of networking so I think that I will probably need a reasonable leisure budget.

ohhhhh networking.

Latest

Trending

Trending