The Student Room Group

Does anyone study International Business?

Hiya
could you please tell me where you study, what sort of things you included in your personal statement and whether you enjoy the course or not?
I just want to get an idea for my personal statement and the places i want to apply to

Thank you!

oh and what did you study for a-level? I am studying English Lit, Geography, Philosophy&Ethics and Law and I'm a bit worried that none of my subjects are Maths, Economics or Business...
Reply 1
Original post by martina9696
Hiya
could you please tell me where you study, what sort of things you included in your personal statement and whether you enjoy the course or not?
I just want to get an idea for my personal statement and the places i want to apply to

Thank you!

oh and what did you study for a-level? I am studying English Lit, Geography, Philosophy&Ethics and Law and I'm a bit worried that none of my subjects are Maths, Economics or Business...

Hey I'm not quite the right person to reply to this as I'm not studying International Business, but I got a place at Loughborough to study International Business and got places at Nottingham, Birmingham, Southampton and Lancaster, the first two for Management courses and the latter two for Marketing courses.

I think your A levels are fine, I didn't study Maths either, I studied English Literature and Language, Business Studies, Art and Design: Graphic Communication and had an AS in archaeology, so you can't get much more random then mine and only Business had a small Maths element. You don't need a business related subject to get onto a course either. There were some Law elements in the Business A level so you might be able to link that in, I think its contract law that we study? I'm not sure though. Just check with each universities entry requirements to make sure you don't need them none of mine needed A level Maths but some other uni's I looked at did ask for it or for an A in GCSE Maths and I'm pretty sure none required a Business related subject.

My personal statement was not the maximum length it should be as I found I actually didn't have that much to write about but I included why I was interested in the course, I think I picked two elements of Business that interested me mine were Marketing and Management Science/psychology and wrote a little about why they interested me. I've also worked in Tesco so wrote about how that has given me valuable experience working in a large company and being able to work in teams and talk to customers and how they are valuable skills. I didn't have any extra curricular activities to write about so if you do have them write about them. Also have a look through the personal statement library here, it was really useful giving me idea's of what to write and how to structure my personal statement.

I'm sorry I can't help you out with what the course is like, but I know when I went to Loughborough open day they had a lot of current students you could talk to about the specific course, so go to open days they are really useful and give you a feel for the university which I think is really important. Good Luck
Reply 2
Original post by katie55
Hey I'm not quite the right person to reply to this as I'm not studying International Business, but I got a place at Loughborough to study International Business and got places at Nottingham, Birmingham, Southampton and Lancaster, the first two for Management courses and the latter two for Marketing courses.

I think your A levels are fine, I didn't study Maths either, I studied English Literature and Language, Business Studies, Art and Design: Graphic Communication and had an AS in archaeology, so you can't get much more random then mine and only Business had a small Maths element. You don't need a business related subject to get onto a course either. There were some Law elements in the Business A level so you might be able to link that in, I think its contract law that we study? I'm not sure though. Just check with each universities entry requirements to make sure you don't need them none of mine needed A level Maths but some other uni's I looked at did ask for it or for an A in GCSE Maths and I'm pretty sure none required a Business related subject.

My personal statement was not the maximum length it should be as I found I actually didn't have that much to write about but I included why I was interested in the course, I think I picked two elements of Business that interested me mine were Marketing and Management Science/psychology and wrote a little about why they interested me. I've also worked in Tesco so wrote about how that has given me valuable experience working in a large company and being able to work in teams and talk to customers and how they are valuable skills. I didn't have any extra curricular activities to write about so if you do have them write about them. Also have a look through the personal statement library here, it was really useful giving me idea's of what to write and how to structure my personal statement.

I'm sorry I can't help you out with what the course is like, but I know when I went to Loughborough open day they had a lot of current students you could talk to about the specific course, so go to open days they are really useful and give you a feel for the university which I think is really important. Good Luck

Hiya,

Thank you very much Katie :smile: I just looked at Loughborough and it looks amazing! I'm worried about my AS results now... what did you get in your AS exams? My gcse results are really good but i think the AS results will put universities off because I just panicked so bad and didn't feel confident...
Reply 3
Original post by martina9696
Hiya,

Thank you very much Katie :smile: I just looked at Loughborough and it looks amazing! I'm worried about my AS results now... what did you get in your AS exams? My gcse results are really good but i think the AS results will put universities off because I just panicked so bad and didn't feel confident...

I got ABBB but I got A*A*B at A level which proves you really can improve so don't worry if they are not quite what you want just make sure your teachers predict you good grades on your UCAS form.

Loughborough is a really beautiful campus as well and everyone seemed really happy there, I firmed Lancaster for Marketing Management in the end but it was really close between those two.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending