The Student Room Group

Contractual vs. permanent post: what do I need to know?

I may get a job soon but it would probably be on contract (12months) and it's renewable based on performance.
A staff in the company said that I should negotiate my contract to include medical benefits which I think would be reasonable; I don't want a rock from the office to fall on top of my head and not being covered medically : /
What do you think?

Are there other things I need to negotiation/know as well? I've never been on a contractual post.
Any advice is really appreciated.
Original post by kka25
I may get a job soon but it would probably be on contract (12months) and it's renewable based on performance.
A staff in the company said that I should negotiate my contract to include medical benefits which I think would be reasonable; I don't want a rock from the office to fall on top of my head and not being covered medically : /
What do you think?

Are there other things I need to negotiation/know as well? I've never been on a contractual post.
Any advice is really appreciated.

Are you in the UK or not, because your language doesn't make much sense for the UK. Permanent posts still have contracts! I think you mean fixed term contract versus permanent contract. You have been offered a fixed term contract for 1 year, renewable based on performance it seems.

First of all be aware that companies can't put you on a fixed term contract (which gives you fewer protections in various ways) and renew it indefinitely. Effectively after the third or fourth renewal, the courts will view you as a permanent employee. So if they are doing it in order to reduce their overheads, don't expect them to renew after year 3!

I very much doubt they will offer health benefits to someone on a one year contract, it doesn't make sense to either side. First of all, we've got a perfectly serviceable National Health Service for day to day issues. Second, were you to be diagnosed with cancer or something similarly serious, no company would want to be beholden to paying for private health cover for someone on a one-year fixed-term contract. The only things you are likely to be able to negotiate are gym membership, interest free season ticket loans etc, ie things that fit into one year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending