The Student Room Group

contact lenses perhaps?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by carnationlilyrose
It all depends exactly what type you have. If you have been told not to, then carry on doing that. Mine are made so that you can sleep in them if you want, although I don't. It's to do with the material they are made of, but I don't know more than that.

There are certain lens materials that have a high enough oxygen permeability that allow extended wear (sleeping in them) ... but IMO, it's still not a good idea. I have fitted them on people who might on occasion need to sleep in them, people in the armed forces for example, but always say to take them out if it's at all possible.

There is no material that will enable you to wear them whilst swimming (well, I suppose rigid lenses would be fine seeing as they won't absorb the water, except they're likely to pop out); the only way that is hygienic is use a daily lens that is disposed of the minute you are out of the water.
All this talk about when a prescription becomes bad and bragging about how bad you are and still not wearing glasses...

There are no hard and fast rules. How clearly do you want to see? At -2.00, I could make my way around without anything, but I'd rather it looks sharp. Someone else at -2.00 might not. How big are your pupils? Looking through bigger apertures softens the focus, so if you've got huge pupils you'll probably see worse than someone with the same prescription but small pupils. Is there astigmatism? Unlike short and long sight (unless it's really bad), astigmatism will mess vision up at any distance, so if you've got a reasonable amount (I have another -1.25 in astigmatism, making me -3.25 in some directions) you'll need glasses more.
Reply 42
Original post by Prof Dumbledore
Yeah that always happens and gets pretty annoying, I was a -0.25 a few years back, Ahh those were the days, and they gradually deteriorated to -2.5 haha. Plus I had a jump of 3 lenses this year too. Yeah you normally would find the lenses quite a bit stronger but as long as you don't get too many headaches then you know it'll be fine because you do get used to it, and that would be your actual prescription, so don't worry about that..

omg same!!! I still remember those days I used to go into the opticians and be able to see all the letters and now I'm just like.. errrm I really can't see it ._.
If only we got our old vision back, would definitely save from all this hassle lol
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by Bapbabelubah
I was quite fine without glasses with -3.25 and -3 :wink: I still had them but I hardly ever wore them.
And then my sight got worse (-4.25 and -4) and now I'd die without them :biggrin:

The thing with glasses is - the more you wear them, the lazier your eyes get. Your eyes don't have to work as much, so they're just like 'meh, can't be asked', they get used to having a perfect picture that's delivered by glasses. That's what I was told by my optician, at least :wink: Even now, when I just can't see properly, I try not to use glasses when I'm at home. It gets easier after a few days, shapes/faces become familiar, you basically learn them all over again.

What I tried to say - I think you should really try to use them less, before you go for contact lenses :smile:

When it comes to the surgery - nope. A friend of mine had one a year ago, and she says it's the worst thing she's done. Apparently it hurt for a while, eyes become very sensitive, and the whole experience is terrifying. :s-smilie:

what you said totally makes sense, I know for a fact that my eyes become lazy when I'm wearing glasses all the time but when I went to the Opticians one thing I was told was that I really need to wear my glasses all the time because they knew I had lost them. Oh and I can see where I'm going without my glasses but it's just that it's frustrating not being able to see anything from far without squinting - the struggle haha

sensitive eyes? I've heard that too. Apparently for some people they feel uncomfortable in the sunlight unless they're wearing glasses. But then again you hear others that say they love it and it's the best decision they've ever made.
Reply 44
So i have really bad eyesight ... -4.75

i recommend contacts !!

Ryan
Original post by Khataray
what you said totally makes sense, I know for a fact that my eyes become lazy when I'm wearing glasses all the time but when I went to the Opticians one thing I was told was that I really need to wear my glasses all the time because they knew I had lost them. Oh and I can see where I'm going without my glasses but it's just that it's frustrating not being able to see anything from far without squinting - the struggle haha

sensitive eyes? I've heard that too. Apparently for some people they feel uncomfortable in the sunlight unless they're wearing glasses. But then again you hear others that say they love it and it's the best decision they've ever made.

Tbh, even if my optician said that to me, I would still try not to wear them all the time - you lost glasses, oh well, it happens, but so does sitting on them/sleeping whilst wearing them, etc. You really shouldn't use them all the time, unless you can't cope without them, eyes need some sort of exercising as well :wink:

Yeah, I know there's a lot of fans of the surgery but I'm still not entirely convinced ;D My eyes tend to be quite sensitive to the sun anyway, so I can't even imagine what it would be like after the surgery. Plus, I'm terrified of doing eye drops, I don't even wanna think of having anything else done to my eyes :biggrin: (that's also why I'm not a fan of contact lenses :tongue:)
omg same!!! I still remember those days I used to go into the opticians and be able to see all the letters and now I'm just like.. errrm I really can't see it ._.
If only we got our old vision back, would definitely save from all this hassle lol

yeah haha wow those were the good ol days. And its kind of embarrassing when I can barely read the top.line of letters, they all just merge together, and when they ask me to read the others then I couldn't if I tried my hardest, I swear they all look like blobs! Each time I go its like they make the test harder :tongue:
And yeah that'd help a lot, my visions was never great though, the time it was was when I was really young anyway.
Original post by That Bearded Man
You sleep/swim with lenses in? That's crazy, I was told explicitly not to, I have done and it's really not pleasant.

Sleeping with lenses when I first got them i would be soo scared then like now its a regular thing i cant feel anything
Reply 48
lol yeah my eye sight keeps getting worse, I used to be -0.75 last year and this year I'm told I've gone 3 lenses worse- although I do have to admit my new lenses feel pretty strong but the optician said I'll get used to it
Your eyesight is not that bad. If the doc would have tested you with a 0.12 lenses you would have gone 6 lenses worse. Believe me it's nothing to worry about. 0.75 change is common at your age.

As for contacts, it's a good idea but not as a replacement for glasses but as an addition. You should wear contacts no more then 10-12 hours a day... usually up to 10 and take one or two days off wearing only glasses.

When I had -1.50 I wasn't wearing glasses at all. I would squint now and then but not that bad. My visual acuity was much better then average for that prescription. Now I'm over -3 and people are often shocked that I can function without correction.
On the other hand, I know a lot of people who cannot function without a -1.

I have a classmate who is sensitive to a 0.12 change and her prescription is around -2 so it might explain why you feel they are too strong. Does your previous prescription feels easier for computer use and reading or you prefer reading without glasses at all?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by Ayesha1234
I think lenses make your eyes worse. My contacts are slightly weaker than my lenses so if anything, they are improving my eye sight.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As a future optometrist I'd say it's a b.s. However, my own experience tells it's right. I under correct myself most of the time and my eyesight gets better. Well in addition to it I take care of my other health issues and maintain a good overall health so it might do the work.
Reply 50
Original post by Bapbabelubah
I was quite fine without glasses with -3.25 and -3 :wink: I still had them but I hardly ever wore them.
And then my sight got worse (-4.25 and -4) and now I'd die without them :biggrin:

The thing with glasses is - the more you wear them, the lazier your eyes get. Your eyes don't have to work as much, so they're just like 'meh, can't be asked', they get used to having a perfect picture that's delivered by glasses. That's what I was told by my optician, at least :wink: Even now, when I just can't see properly, I try not to use glasses when I'm at home. It gets easier after a few days, shapes/faces become familiar, you basically learn them all over again.
In my case the actual visual accuity changed too.
Original post by Kathy89
As a future optometrist I'd say it's a b.s. However, my own experience tells it's right. I under correct myself most of the time and my eyesight gets better. Well in addition to it I take care of my other health issues and maintain a good overall health so it might do the work.

Yeah that's what specsavers told me but my eyesight has gotten slightly better since wearing contacts. In like the ten years that I've worn glasses, that's never happened so there must be some kind of correlation idk

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Original post by TheSownRose
All this talk about when a prescription becomes bad and bragging about how bad you are and still not wearing glasses...

There are no hard and fast rules. How clearly do you want to see? At -2.00, I could make my way around without anything, but I'd rather it looks sharp. Someone else at -2.00 might not. How big are your pupils? Looking through bigger apertures softens the focus, so if you've got huge pupils you'll probably see worse than someone with the same prescription but small pupils. Is there astigmatism? Unlike short and long sight (unless it's really bad), astigmatism will mess vision up at any distance, so if you've got a reasonable amount (I have another -1.25 in astigmatism, making me -3.25 in some directions) you'll need glasses more.
I think astigmatism is the only real reason why I still wear glasses when I need to see things. I'm completely fine with being able to see clearly only at arms length (even less) but not fine at all with reading distorted words and having to move the book back and forth.
As for pupil sizes, I have to check it. Mine are average I think.
You know there are yoga related eye exercises, made me glasses free. :smile:
Original post by Blueray2
You know there are yoga related eye exercises, made me glasses free. :smile:

How bad was your sight before & what do the exercises involve? I can't imagine exercises like this would ever give me perfect vision but it would be good if I could improve my sight enough to not have to wear my glasses all the time.
Original post by TheSownRose
There are certain lens materials that have a high enough oxygen permeability that allow extended wear (sleeping in them) ... but IMO, it's still not a good idea. I have fitted them on people who might on occasion need to sleep in them, people in the armed forces for example, but always say to take them out if it's at all possible.

There is no material that will enable you to wear them whilst swimming (well, I suppose rigid lenses would be fine seeing as they won't absorb the water, except they're likely to pop out); the only way that is hygienic is use a daily lens that is disposed of the minute you are out of the water.

They aren't for extended sleeping in, just not dangerous if you take a nap for an hour or two, apparently. I have gone swimming in them, but I always use goggles over the top. They are some kind of hypo-allergenic plastic, I believe. I don't wear them for longer than I can help anyway.
Reply 56
Original post by carnationlilyrose
They aren't for extended sleeping in, just not dangerous if you take a nap for an hour or two, apparently. I have gone swimming in them, but I always use goggles over the top. They are some kind of hypo-allergenic plastic, I believe. I don't wear them for longer than I can help anyway.

There is a method of eyesight improvement when you actually sleep in special contacts (OrthoK).
Original post by Kathy89
There is a method of eyesight improvement when you actually sleep in special contacts (OrthoK).

I think I'll just stick with fuzzy sight I can switch on and off, but thanks for the information.:smile:
Original post by Alesha1991
How bad was your sight before & what do the exercises involve? I can't imagine exercises like this would ever give me perfect vision but it would be good if I could improve my sight enough to not have to wear my glasses all the time.

pmed :smile:
Original post by Blueray2
pmed :smile:

Can you post them here please? Would be awesome not to have to wear contacts all the time. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending