The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pmc:producer
The first thing we'll clear up is that 'the point of no return' is a legal defence. I've used this twice myself. Secondly, you're confusing 'fault' with 'accident' - the fault in this instance (i.e. not paying attention) led to the accident, see the difference?

You're wrong: you're either making that up on you're mistaken as to why you were stopped/fined. The "point of no return" is a defence to running an amber light (which interestingly is also a defence); as soon as it turns red, there is no defence.

I was using "accident" in this sense as meaning an incident which is entirely faultless, not in the sense of a "road traffic 'accident'", which may carry fault despite being an "accident". I think that much is obvious.
(edited 10 years ago)
You can accidentally go through a red light. Just like you can accidentally run into the back of someone. Or accidentally side swipe someone when changing lanes. Or accidentally plough into a group of pedestrians.

The point being - it should not happen. Driving is a responsibility and there isn't much room for 'accidentally' allowing things to happen. It was someone accidentally changing lanes incorrectly on a roundabout who put a dent in my old car. :angry:

As for the point of no return defence - it's rubbish. You will have to show that it would have been dangerous for you to stop. Unless you were right on top of the traffic lights when they went to amber, this will be hard.

Traffic lights do not 'suddenly' change. The worst explanation I heard in court was a driver who said: "Well, sir, I was approaching the lights and they just, suddenly, changed."

Laughed out of court.
assume you've already been caught, that way if it turns out that you haven't then it's a nice little bonus from the universe. No expectations, no disappointments.
Reply 23
It was a British Transport police van if that means anything? Heard both things they have certain jurisdictions and can act as a constable and also that they can't do anything outside railway lines/stations. Do they need photographic evidence to prosecute me or can they do it from eye witness?
Original post by Rascacielos
You're wrong: you're either making that up on you're mistaken as to why you were stopped. The "point of no return" is a defence to running an amber light (which interestingly is also a defence); as soon as it turns red, there is no defence.

I was using "accident" in this sense as meaning an incident which is entirely faultless, not in the sense of a "road traffic 'accident'", which may carry fault despite being an "accident". I think that much is obvious.

You're at a pedestrian crossing. The pedestrian pressed the button but then walked across while the lights were green (as there were no cars). The lights turn red but there are no pedestrians crossing. An ambulance comes up behind you whilst the light is red. The ambulance has it's sirens and lights on. There are barriers either side and not enough room for two cars to pass.

What would you do? Stay still just because the light is red?
Original post by Runninground
You're at a pedestrian crossing. The pedestrian pressed the button but then walked across while the lights were green (as there were no cars). The lights turn red but there are no pedestrians crossing. An ambulance comes up behind you whilst the light is red. The ambulance has it's sirens and lights on. There are barriers either side and not enough room for two cars to pass.

There is only one scenario where it is legal for a motorist to go through a red - if a uniformed police officer directs you to do so.

In any other scenario, emergency services will either find a way around you or wait. They will not expect you to go through the light.

Of course, in the real world, there are ways around this. Often, it is not necessary to actually cross the stop line - always leave plenty of space between you and the car in front/the stop line.

This video gives some advice on how to deal with emergency vehicles. http://www.bluelightaware.org.uk/
Original post by Runninground

Yes, because I am not obliged to break the law to let an emergency vehicle pass unless a police officer directed me to do so. That's partly why the police, ambulance service and fire brigade undertake rigorous driving courses: it is their responsibility to get around you, not vice versa. Further, it's probable that I would have heard the ambulance a while ago and positioned myself appropriately at the crossing. And, if I hadn't heard or seen the ambulance (because it was too far away), it's likely that the lights would have changed by the time it arrived behind me, or at least they would be on the point of changing, so as to not cause any real delay.

Original post by InnerTemple

Traffic lights do not 'suddenly' change. The worst explanation I heard in court was a driver who said: "Well, sir, I was approaching the lights and they just, suddenly, changed."

Laughed out of court.

I have also heard this pleaded in court. It might be a reasonable defence if the lights were programmed to go from green to red but, fortunately for motorists, the amber light was invented!
(edited 10 years ago)
worse that happens you get a fine you pay it and your good to go its not like a speeding ticket with points even then they have a class you can attend instead but you pay a fine . dont worry about stuff you have no control over if you get a ticket you get a ticket .... if you working do a few extra shifts as back up money you have time to pay the fine .
Reply 28
Original post by Steve140418
worse that happens you get a fine you pay it and your good to go its not like a speeding ticket with points even then they have a class you can attend instead but you pay a fine . dont worry about stuff you have no control over if you get a ticket you get a ticket .... if you working do a few extra shifts as back up money you have time to pay the fine .

This thread is FOUR YEARS OLD.

Latest

Trending

Trending