The Student Room Group

best degree to do?

Scroll to see replies

There is no 'best degree'. Im guessing you are in high school and havent started alevels yet. When you do you will know which subject you are interested in and want to study at uni. If i wanted the 'best' degree i would study medicine and become a doctor but wouldnt everyone? Medicine doesnt realky interest me and theres no way im doing 6 years of studying for a subject im not interested in

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by Secretnerd123
There is no 'best degree'. Im guessing you are in high school and havent started alevels yet. When you do you will know which subject you are interested in and want to study at uni. If i wanted the 'best' degree i would study medicine and become a doctor but wouldnt everyone? Medicine doesnt realky interest me and theres no way im doing 6 years of studying for a subject im not interested in

Posted from TSR Mobile

7 years of studying. ( 5 at uni and two foundation years at hospital paid)
Reply 42
Original post by purple_panther
hmm thanks for that. I couldn't decide between pharmacy and pharmacology and too be honest i was leaning more towards pharmacology because i thought it would give you an opportunity to work with clinical trials and drug development as opposed to just handing out prescriptions but you've made me think twice about my choice. Could you give me some more insight into job prospects for a pharmacology graduate if you don't mind? I don't want to sound thick but what can you actually do with a pharmacology degree? And do you think pharmacy would be more useful? It's just the idea of standing behind a counter all day sorting out prescriptions puts me off.

Pharmacology degree can lead to jobs in clinical trial ,medical sales or general jobs say like banking , providing you have some sort of experience or passion for it. most jobs require a degree to show your competant and the problem is that regardless of what sector you go into they require experience of some sort.

good jobs are medical sales, however to break into it, you must have a contact, as many will require that you at least have shadowed sombody using your own contacts so that you know what the job involves etc.

to break into clinical trials you probably would have to graduate and then take a very low paid role such as :

http://www.reed.co.uk/jobs/research-assistant/23244648#/jobs/scientific/clinical-research-trials

stay with them for at least 2 years and then do a masters or PHD so that you can take senior positions (maybe inhouse). now as you can see already you have 57 applications for that one job, so i would advise that you also work voluntary for some companies shadowing, or take internships and also help out in your local youth club, and also be involved with your council in community projects, as these things help you stand out from the crowd and helps you build contacts. ( dont be a lazy arse like me :biggrin:) regardless of whatever jobs you apply for or course, people love extra curricular activities such as mentioned above.

now pharmacology does not involve formulation, so you wont be making drugs. for that you need pharmaceutical science which is almost the same as pharmacy but without dispensing and pharmacy law . and will most likely need to do a masters etc for a specific job role.

pharmacy involves pharmacology, formulations and drug dispensing. its a masters degree hence 4 years and dont think that all it involves in sitting in a chemist giving drugs out. with pharmacy you can do all of the above job roles. you can work for GSK or Astra zeneca as a pharmacist making formulations or carrying out clinical trials working alongside pharmacologists etc. most people open pharmacies or work in them because the pay is good and life is stress free. however if want to make drugs or do trials i suggest you start working hard now. these companies look for high achievers and people with a high drive for success, they usually have placements and summer camps for A levels students, with limited places available. i think your probs passed the deadline now though!! :mad:

my advice is pick pharmacy avoid pharm sci or pharmacology,

also at what stage of education are ya and what grades you got??
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by I-I
Pharmacology degree can lead to jobs in clinical trial ,medical sales or general jobs say like banking , providing you have some sort of experience or passion for it. most jobs require a degree to show your competant and the problem is that regardless of what sector you go into they require experience of some sort.

good jobs are medical sales, however to break into it, you must have a contact, as many will require that you at least have shadowed sombody using your own contacts so that you know what the job involves etc.

to break into clinical trials you probably would have to graduate and then take a very low paid role such as :

http://www.reed.co.uk/jobs/research-assistant/23244648#/jobs/scientific/clinical-research-trials

stay with them for at least 2 years and then do a masters or PHD so that you can take senior positions (maybe inhouse). now as you can see already you have 57 applications for that one job, so i would advise that you also work voluntary for some companies shadowing, or take internships and also help out in your local youth club, and also be involved with your council in community projects, as these things help you stand out from the crowd and helps you build contacts. ( dont be a lazy arse like me :biggrin:) regardless of whatever jobs you apply for or course, people love extra curricular activities such as mentioned above.

now pharmacology does not involve formulation, so you wont be making drugs. for that you need pharmaceutical science which is almost the same as pharmacy but without dispensing and pharmacy law . and will most likely need to do a masters etc for a specific job role.

pharmacy involves pharmacology, formulations and drug dispensing. its a masters degree hence 4 years and dont think that all it involves in sitting in a chemist giving drugs out. with pharmacy you can do all of the above job roles. you can work for GSK or Astra zeneca as a pharmacist making formulations or carrying out clinical trials working alongside pharmacologists etc. most people open pharmacies or work in them because the pay is good and life is stress free. however if want to make drugs or do trials i suggest you start working hard now. these companies look for high achievers and people with a high drive for success, they usually have placements and summer camps for A levels students, with limited places available. i think your probs passed the deadline now though!! :mad:

my advice is pick pharmacy avoid pharm sci or pharmacology,

also at what stage of education are ya and what grades you got??

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I think you're right, I'll go with pharmacy. I think the other two only pay off after many years of experience and it sounds quite hard to get into (and I have zero contacts). I have to admit I am really lazy and I used to stay away from extra curricular activities until recently because I'm applying to university this year. I've just finish my first year of college waiting for AS results. Got 3 A's in January and overall I'm hoping for AAAB (fingers crossed). So now I'm researching courses and deciding what I want to do. I have done 2 weeks work experience at a small local pharmacy and from what I saw the pharmacist was pretty much sorting and giving out prescriptions and it looked really boring. But I guess working at a hospital pharmacy could be a bit more varied and like you said an Mpharm degree would prepare you for everything and it's more diverse.
Reply 44
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I think you're right, I'll go with pharmacy. I think the other two only pay off after many years of experience and it sounds quite hard to get into (and I have zero contacts). I have to admit I am really lazy and I used to stay away from extra curricular activities until recently because I'm applying to university this year. I've just finish my first year of college waiting for AS results. Got 3 A's in January and overall I'm hoping for AAAB (fingers crossed). So now I'm researching courses and deciding what I want to do. I have done 2 weeks work experience at a small local pharmacy and from what I saw the pharmacist was pretty much sorting and giving out prescriptions and it looked really boring. But I guess working at a hospital pharmacy could be a bit more varied and like you said an Mpharm degree would prepare you for everything and it's more diverse.

hospital pharmacy is much more varied, and with your grades you can apply for dentistry? you will be raking it in!
Reply 45
Do something that appeals to you! You have to enjoy what you're doing.

Yes we all work because we need/want the cash that comes with it, but you don't want to be stuck doing something that you hate getting up for.

Good luck, just enjoy what you do whilst you're earning and be happy.

:smile:
Original post by I-I
hospital pharmacy is much more varied, and with your grades you can apply for dentistry? you will be raking it in!

Well the prospect of staring into and poking around in people's mouths for the rest of my life is not exactly appealing to me. I don't understand why anyone would want to be a dentist. I know they earn a lot but money's not everything and it's not enough to make me want to do it. Pharmacy sounds like a pretty interesting and easy job though.
Reply 47
Well the prospect of staring into and poking around in people's mouths for the rest of my life is not exactly appealing to me. I don't understand why anyone would want to be a dentist. I know they earn a lot but money's not everything and it's not enough to make me want to do it. Pharmacy sounds like a pretty interesting and easy job though.

well i can see your point,however they earn 30k straight off and average 60k within two years especially if your in orthodontics. plus more if you own you own practise, plus after 3 years you can top up and do a course which will allow you to do things like botox and beauty cosmetic treatments that only doctors , dentist and experienced nurses can perform. plenty of money and no lloking in mouths. if you got the brains, dont settle for a something which people look as good but still mediocre. inrestrospect to what i mentioned.

"money isnt everything, but everything revolves around money"

myself lol
Original post by jayeda
what do you think is the best degree to do at uni

that would be the best for getting jobs?

and what is the worst/most worthless degree?

I hate these posts so much..

Everyone has their own opinions based of their strengths and weaknesses.. what may be someone's worst idea for a degree may be someone's best idea for a degree and vice versa..

There is no definitive answer to this.
Computer Science is single handlely the best degree you can possibly study...it has even over taken degrees such as maths/physics. It’s extremely applicable and from the top CS universities you’re pretty much guaranteed a job with a decent salary if you do Computer Science/Artifical Intelligence. CS is a subset of mathematics that’s actually making a difference on society. In the US computer science is the most impacted major you can do. In fact some schools have a lottery system in order to admit you to the major once you meet their gpa cut off point because CS is that popular . Computer Science is the future. Surgeons are being taken over by robots who can do their jobs x2 as efficiently. No degree out there is currently as well advanced as computer science is at the moment...this course is the future. At the top universities you study discrete mathematical reasoning, linear algebra, tons of programming assignments on hardcore machine learning that makes history essays look a bit easy. British people are clueless as to what is the best degree out there. Americans are fully aware.
1. Computer Science
2. Mathematics
3. Engineering (specifically Electrical)
4. Medicine
5. Physics
6. The rest who are all a bit lower

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending