The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope

Scroll to see replies

Posting to subscribe. Not sure about all the glittery Jesus statues...
Reply 21
Original post by Feefifofum

Well I did put them in a spoiler... :redface:
Original post by Feefifofum

Tiz my fault. I made Mazz put them there. We can cut them down or remove them if you find them offensive? :colondollar:

:getmecoat:
Reply 23
Original post by Aula
If we're getting new furniture, can we have holy water by the entrance, or would that be against ecumenism?

And some icons. We could brighten the place up nicely with them.
Icons would probs be more appropriate than Sparkly Jesus :sadnod: :p: :sadnod:
Reply 25
Hi guys, I'm a CofE Christian that was willing to be an active member of this society on TSR. However I was busy with my exams during the last couple of months and had no free time, but now I'm free :biggrin:

Anyway, I'm hoping that I can have some good discussions and with people here, and I pray it will help me increase my knowledge and understanding of my religion.

God bless all of you, and have a good day :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh new thread, I shall call you Squishy and you shall be my Squishy :awesome:

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Icons would probs be more appropriate than Sparkly Jesus :sadnod: :p: :sadnod:

Jesus =/= Edward Cullen :hmpf:
Original post by YiiNaa
Hi guys, I'm a CofE Christian that was willing to be an active member of this society on TSR. However I was busy with my exams during the last couple of months and had no free time, but now I'm free :biggrin:

Anyway, I'm hoping that I can have some good discussions and with people here, and I pray it will help me increase my knowledge and understanding of my religion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Welcome! :hi:

Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
Oh new thread, I shall call you Squishy and you shall be my Squishy :awesome:

Jesus =/= Edward Cullen :hmpf:

:rofl:
Original post by YiiNaa

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exams! *shakes fist at the waffle on the ceiling*

Well if you ever want to learn about how Soren Kierkegaard can find meaning in glitter or which early bishop was burned to death via camel then i'm your weirdo :biggrin: Also if nothing else you'll improve your knowledge of TSR emoticons here.

You too <3 So long as Chris Froome wins the Tour D'France there's no way it can't be -insert foreboding music here- :innocent:
Reply 29
Original post by OurSeaBee
And some icons. We could brighten the place up nicely with them.

Ooh, I like the idea of icons!

This is my favourite one I think :holmes:

I always liked this one of Saint Kyra, with the utmost respect to her... She looks like an awesome Jedi.

Peeps, peeps, peeps! My first cousin has safely given birth to a baby girl. I'm an aunty again :woo: :party: :awesome: :yay: :danceboy:
Just a thought, this thread could have a Patron Saint, namely Saint Expeditus, Patron Saint against procrastination. Goodness knows he has his work cut out with us :rolleyes:

Peeps, peeps, peeps! My first cousin has safely given birth to a baby girl. I'm an aunty again :woo: :party: :awesome: :yay: :danceboy:

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Aula
I think her point was that there are times where Priests are direct mediators, as in the example of Confession. Agreeing to f would suggest that you didn't believe in the sacrament of confession.

1 Timothy 2:5 (yes I found this from Googling :tongue:) talks of Jesus as the one mediator between God and mankind. Presumably (but I may well be wrong) Catholics accept this verse. So f replaces 'mankind' with 'sinful human beings' which I believe to be synonymous. I'm rambling because I don't really know what I'm saying, but I still think it's possible the Pope might accept f :wink:

In fact, I realise I don't really know what 1 Timothy 2:5 means by mediator... Other translations may be helpful. But even if I knew exactly what was meant by mediator, I don't claim to properly understand the Catholic view of confession, and therefore know whether a priest is a mediator in the same sense...

Original post by Aula
I'm not saying it does, just sharing a Biblical basis for it:wink:
I was just reading the beginning of Romans, and my bible has a footnote that gives one translation for 1v5 as "Through him we received grace and apostleship to call all the Gentiles to the obedience that is faith for his name's sake." (Not trying to start a debate, but by Godly coincidence I read that, and thought I'd share.)

Original post by Aula
Not at all in the same way as CUs tend to go about it. Catholics tend to be more of a "Hey, this is happening, do you fancy coming along?" type.
Having said that, evangelisation is becoming a bigger thing. One of the current major things going on in the Church is the "New evangelisation". - The idea being that traditionally mission and 'bringing the word of God' to people has taken place overseas, but it's time that we start looking at what's going on in first world countries again. So many people have misconceptions, or even very little idea of what religion is about, and it's time to start sharing.

You get places like SPES (St Patrick's Evangelisation School), which is based in Soho, where the students are taught about the faith, with an emphasis on mission through helping - so they have a soup kitchen they help out at etc.
There are also events like Spirit in the City. This involves street evangelisation (although it seemed to be run in quite a different way to what I've experienced from speaking to evangelicals), Marian and Eucharisition processions through the streets of the West End, talks and on the final day, a festival in Leicester Square. I went last year, and it was really good fun. I was ill this year though, so I didn't go :sad:

WRT the street evangelisation, the main difference seemed to be the approach. Ours was about letting the people we spoke to bring the conversation round to God, whereas evangelicals seem to have a specific aim from the conversation which they don't like to veer away from. We let them lead the conversation, whereas when I've spoken to evangelicals, it's very much them leading the conversation.
Hmm that's definitely interesting, and a lot of it is in alignment with my views and experiences with evangelicals.

I think you want to get people thinking about faith and perhaps help them realise those who believe don't just do so irrationally. And letting them lead the conversation is going to be so much more useful for them! Perhaps a difference might be that I might try to quite deliberately think about how to appropriately bring the gospel into a discussion that started elsewhere.

The 'mission through helping' idea is of particular interest to me right now. Over the last six months a few CU members have started up a group they're calling "Just Love", describing themselves as "We aim to devote ourselves to true worship by standing with the poor, the marginalised and the oppressed." (e.g. making a practical impact on issues such as homeless, hunger, trafficking). I need to work out how I should get involved in that, among my other commitments!

Original post by AtomicTheory
Continuing from the discussion about evangelism, one issue I had with my CU was that they constantly made me feel really bad about not evangelising very much. I was a very new Christian, had only been going to church for a couple of months, and had no church background so I was still very much in a process of learning, and they'd basically have a go at me for not being 'confident' in my belief, which was really not very helpful!

You sound like a great CU person :smile: I wish people at my uni were as open as you are! They're basically completely uninterested in non-CU Christian and more or less disregard them as heretics (using that actual word) :s-smilie:
*will finish my reply when I get back from church* (I'm currently in the US, hence the weird time zones)
Reply 34
Hi there! :smile:

Love the thread title, I've just been telling my housemates that Star Wars has Christian themes, not least the redemption of Mr Annakin Skywalker.
Original post by Kwollum

Love the thread title, I've just been telling my housemates that Star Wars has Christian themes, not least the redemption of Mr Annakin Skywalker.

Welcome! :hi:

Just a thought, this thread could have a Patron Saint, namely Saint Expeditus, Patron Saint against procrastination. Goodness knows he has his work cut out with us :rolleyes:

Speak for yourself. I'm not a procrastinator :colonhash:

:ninja:
Original post by Kwollum

Hello Kwollum! (You sound like a Klingon =O )

Hmm, I never completely saw it myself, redemption story arcs aren't Christian by default. Unless that is you interpret Darth Vader throwing the Emperor down the shaft as figuritive of throwing the devil out of our hearts even if it means getting a lightning bolt to the face :awesome: I art so tedious.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 37
Hello Kwollum! (You sound like a Klingon =O )

Hmm, I never completely saw it myself, redemption story arcs aren't Christian by default. Unless that is you interpret Darth Vader throwing the Emperor down the shaft as figuritive of throwing the devil out of our hearts even if it means getting a lightning bolt to the face :awesome: I art so tedious.

I just think there are some really good parallels. Annakin started all good and innocent, was corrupted by sin and was then ultimately redeemed with the help of his son(!)
Reply 38

Good stuff! :biggrin:
Original post by Kwollum
Good stuff! :biggrin:

Thankies! Tiz quite exciting! Unfortunately I won't meet her for years, since she's in Australia :sad:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending