The Student Room Group

Need motivation to practice maths?

Hi,
I'm sure many of us have been in the situation i'm in now.
Basically I'm doing functions in c3 at the moment and i'm doing practise questions and exam questions, and I need to practise to improve and iron out silly mistakes etc.

But the thing is its so long and tiresome, but I know if I do it i'll be good at it.

But I also feel like ahh why am I doing this.......and when I read how far ahead people on tsr are, like already onto c4 I feel like rushing, but if I do its a bad idea as i know i'll mess up.

Basically sometimes I lack motivation, i'm sure some of you fell the same way, so

Can you please give me some motivation to crack on with the same functions section i've been doing for like 2 weeks now :smile:

(ps might be worth mentioning i'm doing it for a long time, because i'm not exactly "great" at maths and I learn through practice :s-smilie: )
Reply 1
Original post by Blueray2
Hi,
Basically I'm doing functions in c3 at the moment and i'm doing practise questions and exam questions, and I need to practise to improve and iron out silly mistakes etc.

But the thing is its so long and tiresome, but I know if I do it i'll be good at it.

But I also feel like ahh why am I doing this.......and when I read how far ahead people on tsr are, like already onto c4 I feel like rushing, but if I do its a bad idea as i know i'll mess up.

Basically sometimes I lack motivation, i'm sure some of you fell the same way, so

Can you please give me some motivation to crack on with the same functions section i've been doing for like 2 weeks now :smile:

(ps might be worth mentioning i'm doing it for a long time, because i'm not exactly "great" at maths and I learn through practice :s-smilie: )

Leave it and come back to it later

It is. for the most part, a stand alone chapter
Reply 2
Original post by TenOfThem
Leave it and come back to it later

It is. for the most part, a stand alone chapter

I know what you mean, but I feel like if I havent done it fully I don't quit :frown:

I was hoping more for a quote or what you mathematicians do when lacking motivation to get some, so to speak :wink:
Reply 3
Hi,

1. It happens to all of us from time to time, for instance a day ago I got so destroyed by complex transformations I took a 6hour break and it did a world of good. Always make sure you remember stuff such as squaring both sides and the the range of f(x) is the domain of f^-1(x)

2. Just do it lol

3. Please don't compare yourself to TSR mathmos, we are teaching so far ahead because we need it in order to get started on STEP/AEA straight away, I'd say what your doing atm is definitely fine, most people after AS forget their AS course and move onto A2 in September rather than continually learn

4. Do it

[video="youtube;v5Vp57T8eMI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5Vp57T8eMI[/video]

5. Genuine mathematician's and maths students learn the best through practice, not everyone is the same so you can't compare yourself to everyone else

A quote from a mathematician's apology:

''• A man who sets out to justify his existence and his activities has to distinguish two different questions. The first is whether the work he does is worth doing; and the second is why he does it, whatever its value may be''
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Robbie242
1. It happens to all of us from time to time, for instance a day ago I got so destroyed by complex transformations I took a 6hour break and it did a world of good. Always make sure you remember stuff such as squaring both sides and the the range of f(x) is the domain of f^-1(x)

2. Just do it lol

3. Please don't compare yourself to TSR mathmos, we are teaching so far ahead because we need it in order to get started on STEP/AEA straight away, I'd say what your doing atm is definitely fine, most people after AS forget their AS course and move onto A2 in September rather than continually learn

4. Do it

[video="youtube;v5Vp57T8eMI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5Vp57T8eMI[/video]

5. Genuine mathematician's and maths students learn the best through practice, not everyone is the same so you can't compare yourself to everyone else

:lol: I swear this is best advice ever :biggrin: No sarcasm, its straight to the point, I like that :h: Thanks mate!
Reply 5
I know what you mean, but I feel like if I havent done it fully I don't quit :frown:

I was hoping more for a quote or what you mathematicians do when lacking motivation to get some, so to speak :wink:

Ok here is a quote from me

"I leave it and come back to it later"

:biggrin:
Reply 6
:lol: I swear this is best advice ever :biggrin: No sarcasm, its straight to the point, I like that :h: Thanks mate!

Haha no problem, also added a quote from a book I read, though try to think of it in a positive light :colone:
Reply 7

:lol: Yeah i'll be doing plenty of lazing around, just not now :tongue:

Haha no problem, also added a quote from a book I read, though try to think of it in a positive light :colone:

''• A man who sets out to justify his existence and his activities has to distinguish two different questions. The first is whether the work he does is worth doing; and the second is why he does it, whatever its value may be''

To pass my c3 exam and get into uni :biggrin:

Thanks guys your the best!
Reply 8
:lol: Yeah i'll be doing plenty of lazing around, just not now :tongue:

To pass my c3 exam and get into uni :biggrin:

Thanks guys your the best!

Exactly! :wink:. No problem :biggrin:
Reply 9

Exactly! :wink:. No problem :biggrin:

Whilst you're here mind explaining this please? :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2410260&p=43616363#post43616363
When I had to study a lot for my exams, I found it helpful to study for 15 minutes without any breaks, then a 5(or 10)-minute-break, then 15 minutes of studying, then break again. It was good because 'only 7 minutes and I'll have a break!"
:d
Reply 11
Hi,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTFnmsCnr6g
http://www.quotesearching.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Everything-is-possible.jpg

At the moment I feel like you as well sadly :frown:. The C3 Trig identities have to be memorised for me and I lack some motivation as well:frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
I just skipped through and did all the harder questions when I did that chapter ages ago

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest