The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 900
Original post by Molly648
I was looking at the University of Malta and I've been told you need a modern language to at least AS level so that's when my confusion between geography and Spanish started. I need to find someone who has just done AS level Spanish (preferably with AQA) :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

UoM will accept English Language as a language too. Hope this helps your decision!
Reply 901
Original post by Jatz07
Awesome man... I'm aiming for 7A* , but we will see how it goes next month

I would choose cambridge rather than oxford because the problem with oxford is that they base GCSE Results more significant than predicted A2 grades for medicine... plus 70-80% of applicants have majority A*s in gcse, and gcse plays a big part in interview!

Cambridge is definitely an option for you though :smile: Just concentrate on getting high ums at A level, gcse's aren't significant as much as A levels apart from oxford

Jatz

If I get the 5A*s I'm predicted I'm going to look into Cambridge, not because of what you said, but purely because at Oxford, you can't do German from anything below A-level, but at Cambridge you can start if from scratch :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 902
Original post by thebestiscoming
feels like i just received a slap at my face when i saw ur perdictions,pretty good, im hoping to reach 5 A*:eek:

Feel good about that, 5 As and I'm happy! :colondollar:
Reply 903
Original post by Heinz59
UoM will accept English Language as a language too. Hope this helps your decision!

Oh I didn't know that! Now that really confuses me on my last choice for my a levels! Thanks for letting me know though :smile:
Does anyone know whether its possible to resit module exams in januray if youve just finished yr11,, or do u have to resit a whole year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by XXSimranXX
Does anyone know whether its possible to resit module exams in januray if youve just finished yr11,, or do u have to resit a whole year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can't resit modules in January anymore.

For some subjects (like Maths), you may be able to resit in November of this year. For most subjects though, you'll have to wait until June 2014 to resit. :smile:
Original post by usycool1
You can't resit modules in January anymore.

For some subjects (like Maths), you may be able to resit in November of this year. For most subjects though, you'll have to wait until June 2014 to resit. :smile:

ok thanks not quite what i was hoping to hear but oh well aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's a flaw for me, i only get 7 Gcses, sucks i know though my aim is to get A*s in Maths Chemistry and Physics, My target for biology and R:colone: are grade A's, the remaining 2 subjects is lit and lang which im aiming for B's. Let's say if i apply to Cambridge for Engineering will my grades effect me?
Reply 908
I feel so average
My predicted grades
English lit-C
English lang-C
Biology-A
Chemistry-B
Physics-B
Maths-i've got B for GCSE
Ict-B
R.E-B
Geography-B
Are these good predicted grade?
Reply 909
Original post by Chung224
There's a flaw for me, i only get 7 Gcses, sucks i know though my aim is to get A*s in Maths Chemistry and Physics, My target for biology and R:colone: are grade A's, the remaining 2 subjects is lit and lang which im aiming for B's. Let's say if i apply to Cambridge for Engineering will my grades effect me?

I would imagine as long as you have mainly A*s and As your GCSEs won't effect you massively, as usual it's the AS/A2 grades that they will be making the decision on mainly :smile:

Original post by Sandra1
I feel so average
My predicted grades
English lit-C
English lang-C
Biology-A
Chemistry-B
Physics-B
Maths-i've got B for GCSE
Ict-B
R.E-B
Geography-B
Are these good predicted grade?

I would consider mainly B's at GCSE to be an overall good set of results, not the best obviously but certainly not bad! I would think all Cs would be considered 'average'
i just hope that the grade boundaries for economics and pure maths to get the A or A* are low!
Reply 911
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm actually hoping that the science twenty first century OCR grade boundaries are low soi am able to get As
1 MONTH TO GO!!! :eek:
Reply 913
I hope this month flies past because I don't want to wait for much longer! But then at the same time, I don't really want my results... :confused:
why are guys so serious? I mean really just get the grades you want for A-level from your GCSE then proceed to the important bit. A-level is way more important & nerve reckoning than GCSE.
Why_so_serious__TJ__by_bill_e_the_badger.jpg
Original post by acecahill39
why are guys so serious? I mean really just get the grades you want for A-level from your GCSE then proceed to the important bit. A-level is way more important & nerve reckoning than GCSE.

GCSEs are still important in the way that some university courses require certain grades in certain subjects. Well, mostly only maths and english (and science if the university course has scientific elements) :tongue:

I was really nervous about my GCSE grades regardless of their importance, weren't you? :tongue:
Original post by Lucy96
GCSEs are still important in the way that some university courses require certain grades in certain subjects. Well, mostly only maths and english (and science if the university course has scientific elements) :tongue:

I was really nervous about my GCSE grades regardless of their importance, weren't you? :tongue:

Not really. I just knew I would get more than a B in all my GCSE subjects so my confident level reduced my nervousness. I am pretty sure everyone in TSR can achieve their predicted grades as they seems to have high level of expectation. The higher your dreams & expectation, the more you can achieve. Am I right? Plus not all unis care less about your GCSE as sometimes people can improve 3 times from their GCSE to A-Level.

Dude/dudette, speaking on behalf of fellow year 11's , for us awaiting GCSE results is one of the landmarks of our short lives thus far. Sure in a year/2 years time we'll laugh at ourselves for the worries and whatnot but for the time being let us have our moment. I'm pretty sure a lot of A level students went through the same period as us suffering from taunts from elder students whilst they were awaiting their GCSE results. Not that I disagree with your post (well except the first 2/3 of it) I felt this was an issue to be addressed. And yep, this was a very serious post.
Not really. I just knew I would get more than a B in all my GCSE subjects so my confident level reduced my nervousness. I am pretty sure everyone in TSR can achieve their predicted grades as they seems to have high level of expectation. The higher your dreams & expectation, the more you can achieve. Am I right? Plus not all unis care less about your GCSE as sometimes people can improve 3 times from their GCSE to A-Level.

Yeah I totally see where you're coming from, I just think they're entitled to be quite nervous because at the end of the day, they're still exams and they've still worked for them. But of course I agree that A levels are FAR more important. :smile: And very true, I guess I'm just speaking from personal experience as I wouldn't be considered for the course I want to do without a B in maths (didn't take past GCSE) and an A in chemistry (dropping this year) :tongue:
Original post by logicalnonsense
Dude/dudette, speaking on behalf of fellow year 11's , for us awaiting GCSE results is one of the landmarks of our short lives thus far. Sure in a year/2 years time we'll laugh at ourselves for the worries and whatnot but for the time being let us have our moment. I'm pretty sure a lot of A level students went through the same period as us suffering from taunts from elder students whilst they were awaiting their GCSE results. Not that I disagree with your post (well except the first 2/3 of it) I felt this was an issue to be addressed. And yep, this was a very serious post.

I was laughing at your post for a minute or so :biggrin: when I read your post. But some people think this is the end of the world even though ironically the know they will exceed their target grades ( A guy was worried about getting a C he promised to his parents (under a deal of getting PS4 soon)even though in his mock paper, he consistently got A* & the exam was found easy by everyone) Vice versa applied.

Latest