The Student Room Group

I'm size 8 so not a real woman?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by SleepySheep
Exactly! So I don't really understand why anyone would get upset about it? :s-smilie:

Alright, if I was bitter about not having boobs or hips and essentially having a boy's figure, would it be ok for me to go round saying large women are not beautiful?

Because, think about it, it's essentially doing the same thing. And doing that is not considered ok.
Reply 41
the general annoyance at modelling etc by society for having only skinny models brought about this whole pride about being happy with your body type (which is fine) but that unfortunately led to people seeming to think that skinny people were to blame, and that being skinny isn't natural but forced and is an 'unhealthy media portrayal' which is complete crap.

being happy with your body type means ALL body types. like you've said, people seem to forget that skinny and slim people are people too.

people are stupid :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Steady on with your generalisations I'm a feminist and I agree with you

If you read my post correctly, I wasn't generalising feminists, or feminism, that's why I put the stuff in the brackets. And I wrote 'feminists' in inverted commas for a reason. It's hard not to agree that there are two types of feminist in the world, and some of them give feminism a bad name.
Original post by Jessaay!
If you read my post correctly, I wasn't generalising feminists, or feminism, that's why I put the stuff in the brackets. And I wrote 'feminists' in inverted commas for a reason. It's hard not to agree that there are two types of feminist in the world, and some of them give feminism a bad name.

Fair enough. Sorry, I've been insulted by the ALPHAMALE10WOULDDEFINATELY**** on TSR a lot recently for being a feminist so I might have jumped on you a bit needlessly.
A lot of the people saying 'real girls have curves' tend to be fat, have curves in the wrong places and use it as justification for staying fat.
Original post by OneDayDoctor
Is anyone else tired of being told that they aren't real?!

People constantly post on the internet talking about real women who are size 12 and above. Does this mean that, at size 8, I don't exist or something? It seems so odd that people go out to promote themselves as being a certain size so should be accepted for who they are, yet at the same time they slate people smaller than them.

Why can't people realise that the size of clothing you wear is also dependent on your body shape and height? It's like it's ok to wear larger sizes (though not necessarily be fat, some people are just tall) but not smaller ones. It seems like telling someone they are overweight is signing your own death warrant, but it's perfectly ok to say someone is thin or skinny in a malicious way.

I'll try to find an example, but I see it all the time on facebook when people comment on images posted by fashion pages saying that the girl (usually a blogger who looks perfectly healthy) is too thin, looks ill and has no curves and no man will ever want her. It's such an awful thing to say. I'll look for an example but comments like that are usually taken down pretty quickly, however they appear a lot.

Any other people out there in TSR world who are fed up of being told they don't exist?

I'm a man, skinny but and average in height and I get a lot of people being rude to me about my weight compared to someone that is overweight!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by ddaappoo
the general annoyance at modelling etc by society for having only skinny models brought about this whole pride about being happy with your body type (which is fine) but that unfortunately led to people seeming to think that skinny people were to blame, and that being skinny isn't natural but forced and is an 'unhealthy media portrayal' which is complete crap.

being happy with your body type means ALL body types. like you've said, people seem to forget that skinny and slim people are people too.

people are stupid :smile:

You're absolutely right (particularly with your closing comment :wink:). I think to some extent as well, it's a less sensitive subject to those who are skinny, compared to those who are overweight. I just think it's a really unhealthy thing that you can see in many aspects of society, when some forms of prejudice are acceptable because they've previously been better off (like when being skinny was promoted), so it's ok to be offensive about them, but it's not ok to be prejudice towards the opposite.
I hate it, I used to hate it even more when I was younger. I was very skinny naturally, always had been. It was around the time this whole "real women have curves" stuff was everywhere and I remember feeling like I was not as attractive or even as mature as those with more curvaceous bodies. It got to the point where I was actively trying to gain weight so that society would 'accept' me as a woman.

At the end of the day, if you're healthy and happy then that's all that matters. There is no set body type that men find attractive. I've come to realise now that I'm older that the most important thing is to be comfortable in your own skin. Who cares if some magazine or someone on facebook thinks you're not REAL!
Reply 48
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Fair enough. Sorry, I've been insulted by the ALPHAMALE10WOULDDEFINATELY**** on TSR a lot recently for being a feminist so I might have jumped on you a bit needlessly.

Hence giving feminism a bad name. I never promote myself as a feminist for that reason. People almost always take 'feminism' to mean the people who promote uniformity rather than equality (two entirely different things), and rant about a guy holding the door open for them on everydaysexism.com. Oh and those who believe 'sexism' to mean 'a man being prejudice towards a woman' with no exception.

Though that's a conversation for an entirely different thread.
Hence giving feminism a bad name. I never promote myself as a feminist for that reason. People almost always take 'feminism' to mean the people who promote uniformity rather than equality (two entirely different things), and rant about a guy holding the door open for them on everydaysexism.com. Oh and those who believe 'sexism' to mean 'a man being prejudice towards a woman' with no exception.

Though that's a conversation for an entirely different thread.

I completely agree. I've been accused of all those things, for no reason, and when I've said "actually I agree that those things are bad" I get "I DON'T BELIEVE YOU BECAUSE FEMINAZI"

I wish people would understand a small minority of extreme beliefs don't represent the movement!
Reply 50
This thread is doing nothing for the body confidence of any girl/woman reading it. As long as you are healthy and happy why should it matter.

All through primary school and the first few years of high school I was teased by my friends for being too skinny, to the point where I would eat and eat past the point of feeling sick because I felt so disgusting to everyone. And now today, going of to uni in September I still think about what they said, when I'm a size 8/10 if I were to mention going for a run or dieting (really meaning start eating more healthily) I would have people telling me 'you're so skinny' and discouraging me, yet there are also people (so called friends) telling me that my bellys flabby, or i'm getting a double chin.

I'm not saying that being fat is good, but someone that's a size 18 is a real woman, the same as someone who is a size 6. The reason there are so many 'real women' posts going around are because the media is filled with ridiculously thin women. At the end of the day, there are more important things to worry about, and focusing on dress size, and being a real woman doesn't just affect the way people see them self physically but also leads to people not feeling like they are a valued person.
Reply 51
You're absolutely right (particularly with your closing comment :wink:). I think to some extent as well, it's a less sensitive subject to those who are skinny, compared to those who are overweight. I just think it's a really unhealthy thing that you can see in many aspects of society, when some forms of prejudice are acceptable because they've previously been better off (like when being skinny was promoted), so it's ok to be offensive about them, but it's not ok to be prejudice towards the opposite.

that's exactly right!
like seriously it happens with all types of prejudice. there seems to be a thing where we all fight prejudice with prejudice, instead of fighting it with proper fairness.
Original post by Mr Smurf
Elisabeth Harnois.

Just, WOW, not that into blondes normally but that girl is so damn beautiful. Right, google...
Reply 53
I don't understand why anyone would be offended by that.
Am I the only one here who still feels too big despite all this recent glorification of curves? :frown:
Reply 55
Original post by Chxnel

You're either a troll, or incapable of human empathy.
I understand where the original post is coming from. I am a size 8 and have a fast metabolism. Often girls say that they hate me in a giggly way because of my size, but if I said to the "gawd I hate you! You have such chunky legs!" then I would get a slap.
Everyone else is allowed to talk about how they want to change their bodies by losing weight, but if I mention that I want to gain a bit then I get shouted down as if I've shrieked a stream of personal insults at them. I even have girls using me as a way to get their boyfriends to compliment them, whilst bringing me down. They say that they wish they had my figure so that then their bf can say that I'm too skinny and he likes them the way they are.
I can't eat in peace without people going on about how I can eat whatever I want, even if I'm just munching on a packet of crisps. I'm self-conscious about my weight as it is and would gain if I could, so people commenting constantly on what I eat, what I wear and generally how I look doesn't help. And don't get me started on the whole anorexia/bulimia thing. I don't go up to other girls and ask them if they have eating disorders, so why should I be subject to it?
It's so warped that these people think they are complimenting me, but the same returned and I would be lynched.
Reply 57
Original post by Chxnel

So you are failing to understand why a woman would be offended is someone told her that she was not really a woman because she is skinny? What are you stupid? tell me your trolling................
Reply 58
Original post by Rajvir
So you are failing to understand why a woman would be offended is someone told her that she was not really a woman because she is skinny? What are you stupid? tell me your trolling................

Yeah. If someone said that to me, I'd just laugh it off, cos it's stupid. Not to mention the fact that being slim is considered beautiful by most people anyway. It's nothing to worry about.
Reply 59
Original post by Chxnel
Yeah. If someone said that to me, I'd just laugh it off, cos it's stupid. Not to mention the fact that being slim is considered beautiful by most people anyway. It's nothing to worry about.

Yeah but it's offensive, you could probably laugh it off but many of us can't. Would you laugh is someone said to a fat person that your too fat and that your not a woman because your fat? no right that rude and offensive and it's the same for skinny people.

For some reason its not right if someone says to a chubby or fat person to stop eating because they are fat or chubby but it is absolutely fine if some says to a skinny person "you should eat more" or "is that all your eating cause your staving yourself".

We are "real women", we are "actual people" and we are beautiful. Period.

Quick Reply

Latest