The Student Room Group

University transparency

Hi, just wondering, do the universities you've applied to know where you've got an offer from and which you have accepted?

I ask this because i have accepted an offer for A but B has put me on a waiting list
and has said that it will make a list and give out offers in august to fill places that
were left by people who didnt get the offer.

I am on that list but they said that they would give offers to those who didnt have any yet.

I really want to go to B, so thats why im just wondering.
Universities can see the offer, terms and applicant reply once the firm and insurance choice has been made. It seems an odd policy to give offers to those without any as a first choice though.
Reply 2
Original post by oxymoronic
Universities can see the offer, terms and applicant reply once the firm and insurance choice has been made. It seems an odd policy to give offers to those without any as a first choice though.

Im on a waiting list you see and i have an offer from birmingham. But barts has put me on a waiting list and i really want to go there but they said theyd give offers to people without any. its killing me :/
Justt be happy you're going to B'ham many applicants don't get any places at all and unfortunately for you Barts seem to be more interested in those people.
Original post by kinglynx
Im on a waiting list you see and i have an offer from birmingham. But barts has put me on a waiting list and i really want to go there but they said theyd give offers to people without any. its killing me :/

In that case you need to weigh up what is more important - an offer from a university where at one point you liked it enough to apply there or a chance of an offer from another university. At the moment you have one in the bag (assuming you have your grades) and to reject that for the chance to be a bit higher up the list to maybe, potentially, perhaps get an offer at another university is incredibly incredibly risky.

The majority of people who apply to medicine end up with no offers so it appears Barts are at least trying to be fair and give them to people who have nothing. It's also administratively easier for them as if they give an offer to someone who is in clearing on results day then the student just has to jump on track at 5pm and add them as a choice. If they give an offer to someone who is holding an offer elsewhere then they have to wait for the person to call up their firm, get released and then add Barts. This could take several days. You also have no idea where on the wait list you are, how many other people are on it or how many people will actually miss a Barts offer.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by oxymoronic
In that case you need to weigh up what is more important - an offer from a university where at one point you liked it enough to apply there or a chance of an offer from another university. At the moment you have one in the bag (assuming you have your grades) and to reject that for the chance to be a bit higher up the list to maybe, potentially, perhaps get an offer at another university is incredibly incredibly risky.

The majority of people who apply to medicine end up with no offers so it appears Barts are at least trying to be fair and give them to people who have nothing. It's also administratively easier for them as if they give an offer to someone who is in clearing on results day then the student just has to jump on track at 5pm and add them as a choice. If they give an offer to someone who is holding an offer elsewhere then they have to wait for the person to call up their firm, get released and then add Barts. This could take several days. You also have no idea where on the wait list you are, how many other people are on it or how many people will actually miss a Barts offer.

Hmmm i see. Thanks alot for the information! I guess a bird in the hand....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending