The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7160
Original post by cost
is Fabregas worth 40 mil?

It's hard to determine how much a player is worth because some clubs pay silly money these days. Fabregas is one of the best players in the world in his position though, much better than Modric (£33m) and Fernandinho (£30m). Javi Martinez (slightly different position) went for €40m, so I'd expect Fabregas is worth around the same. However, Martinez was bought from Bilbao, who €40m might be a lot to (though it was his release clause). €40m to Barca probably isn't all that big of a deal, so I'd expect we'd have to pay even more. I'd have thought £45m+. Certainly way above the £30m (plus add ons...) we've offered thus far.
Original post by NathanW18
Good luck to Rene. Wish he would have stayed, though.

The players said good things about him.

I can see why he left to be fair if it is true he was only offered coaching the u-21s.
Reply 7163
Apparently we have been told Fabregas is not for sale..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23404946
Reply 7164
Original post by Idle

I reckon they would sell for circa £40m (€47m) :colone: Just depends if the board want to offer that sort of money.
Original post by Idle

I doubt the story will go away just yet regardless of being told he is not for sale.
I think they are just trying to knock the price up. Why else would Moyes say that we had a response to the first bid, then bid again without encouragement. If they will sell but want more they aren't going to just come out and say it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SirMasterKey
I can see why he left to be fair if it is true he was only offered coaching the u-21s.

No, he wasn't. He was offered the assistant managers role and he turned it down.

He was interviewed on Sky Sports News and told us that.
bbc got that info from sport paper...
Original post by NathanW18
No, he wasn't. He was offered the assistant managers role and he turned it down.

Source? The only ones I've seen (nothing that filled me with confidence as to actually knowing anything about it) said he was offered the u-21's role.
Original post by SirMasterKey
Source? The only ones I've seen (nothing that filled me with confidence as to actually knowing anything about it) said he was offered the u-21's role.

Here are my sources.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/concerns-over-david-moyes-training-methods-cause-rene-meulensteen-to-reject-opportunity-to-be-no-2-at-manchester-united-8659384.html

http://www.redmancunian.com/2013/06/28/david-moyes-offered-assistant-manager-role-to-rene-meulensteen-he-declined/

I was incorrect that Rene stated it in his interview with Sky Sports, but I knew I had seen it. It may have even been Moyes that said he had offered him it, but I can't find it in any videos.

Based on his interview, it seems like he thought the club could look within to find Sir Alex's replacement. I'm assuming that he was unhappy that he got over looked, so decided to leave.
(edited 10 years ago)
Yeah looks like BBC have just used the Sport as a source, who have in turn got a "Barcelona source" for their quote. An nameless source is always a good idea when you want to make up a quote without the risk of legal action. Interesting to see how this pans out. Not quite buying the idea floated its to appease the fans, makes sense for a manager like Wenger who's main concern is appeasing, not so much for Moyes who one trainwreck season away from taking some actual flak. If the deal dies, all the focus will swing back on to Rooney which could be awkward.
Sky are very reliable, considering all other outlets were going on and on about thiago and were getting people like me excited, Sky never mentioned a bid once. However, they have been spot on with fabregas so far and this is confirmation from today that it's nearing in on a deal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBH9nzSWUNk
Original post by doggyfizzel
Yeah looks like BBC have just used the Sport as a source, who have in turn got a "Barcelona source" for their quote. An nameless source is always a good idea when you want to make up a quote without the risk of legal action. Interesting to see how this pans out. Not quite buying the idea floated its to appease the fans, makes sense for a manager like Wenger who's main concern is appeasing, not so much for Moyes who one trainwreck season away from taking some actual flak. If the deal dies, all the focus will swing back on to Rooney which could be awkward.

sky are saying talks have been going on which is very strange as I don't understand who's saying he can leave if barca have no manager.
Original post by ledleyking123
sky are saying talks have been going on which is very strange as I don't understand who's saying he can leave if barca have no manager.
The manager doesn't run the show, at a lot of clubs the manager isn't even responsible for who come or goes, ever. I'm not sure to what extend the manager is in control at Barca. Sandro Rosell is usually credited with bringing players into the club so I would think he would have responsibility the other way. They can certainly reject a bid without the manager so we'll know something soon.

The wording of Moyes statement suggest Fabregas isn't the only target, he speaks of hoping some of the deals fall into place, plural. I wonder what positions they would be?
Reply 7176
According to Norwood were making another bid of £35m. Seems plausible. I reckon £40m is the highest we would be willing to offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ledleyking123
Sky are very reliable, considering all other outlets were going on and on about thiago and were getting people like me excited, Sky never mentioned a bid once. However, they have been spot on with fabregas so far and this is confirmation from today that it's nearing in on a deal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBH9nzSWUNk

:nah:

He's just looking for a flat on moss side....:rolleyes:
Reply 7178
Original post by doggyfizzel
The wording of Moyes statement suggest Fabregas isn't the only target, he speaks of hoping some of the deals fall into place, plural. I wonder what positions they would be?

Left wing is my biggest annoyance, and has been for some time. We actually only have one left winger under the age of 39, and that left winger is right footed. Obviously we have Giggs, Nani, Welbeck, Rooney and Zaha that can all play there, but I always feel like everyone is out of position when they're there. It'd be nice to have someone that seems comfortable there. Basically I'm tired of seeing everyone on that flank cutting inside, Evra is our most potent attacking threat on the left. Considering we're a team that is renowned for utilising the wings, we haven't had someone that fits on the left since Giggs was younger.
I think Barcelona would want a guaranteed replacement lined up (like Gundogan) if they were willing to let go of Fabregas. Tbh, I see Barcelona adopting the double pivot in future years as Xavi fades out of their starting line-up. Busquets with Mascherano/Song/SomeoneNew with a more flexible four in front of them, consisting of Iniesta (CAM), Messi (CF), Neymar (LW) and someone else.

Latest