The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Up

Original post by MathsNerd1
Oh the graphs? They annoyed me but it depend on what r is equal to?

Yeah :redface:

r = 1 + 2Cos(theta)

For example... It has the graph here, no scales, do I just draw it roughly?
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Yeah :redface:

r = 1 + 2Cos(theta)

For example... It has the graph here, no scales, do I just draw it roughly?

Well I was always taught to draw that function first and then sketch it to the polar co ordinate graph. But yeah draw a rough sketch but make sure they can see what it is too.

Well I was always taught to draw that function first and then sketch it to the polar co ordinate graph. But yeah draw a rough sketch but make sure they can see what it is too.

How do you mean?:redface:

How do you mean?:redface:

Okay have you sketched the original function first?
Okay have you sketched the original function first?

No :tongue: but now I have
No :tongue: but now I have

Okay, so have they given you an example of how a function should be sketched into the polar coordinate form?

Okay, so have they given you an example of how a function should be sketched into the polar coordinate form?

No

I'm leaving polar co ordinates for tonight, tomorrow is area of a sector:colone:

No

Okay well I'll explain an easy example for you to use on your question, quickly sketch the graph of sinx and basically once you've done this when you draw a polar co ordinate graph the line that is normally the x axis is called the initial line and the y axis will be your value as normal, so the polar graph will be measured in radians so when you start your sin function it starts at 0 so it does for the polar graph, then as you travel from 0-pi it goes from 0-1 and then back again and also you can't map your negative values on your original function to a polar graph so the shape should be a circle from 0-1.

Does that make sense?
Okay well I'll explain an easy example for you to use on your question, quickly sketch the graph of sinx and basically once you've done this when you draw a polar co ordinate graph the line that is normally the x axis is called the initial line and the y axis will be your value as normal, so the polar graph will be measured in radians so when you start your sin function it starts at 0 so it does for the polar graph, then as you travel from 0-pi it goes from 0-1 and then back again and also you can't map your negative values on your original function to a polar graph so the shape should be a circle from 0-1.

Does that make sense?

No :| :lol:

I'll start tomorrow with a fresh mind

Actually, yes! I get it :rofl: :biggrin: but not your explanation :tongue:
698 :biggrin:

Latest