Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mazzini
Welcome! :hello:

:hi: I'm okay thanks, what about you? :smile:

good good. I'm feeling not too bad :biggrin:
Reply 81
Subscribing... :perv:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Asked for an indefinite ban. Aula, please tell Cath Soc. Someone tell PS Help and MHSS please :cry2:

Hope to see you back someday, I don't think I can remember TSR without you :console:
Original post by fluteflute
That's a shame, that lack of sensitivity doesn't do anyone any good!

I find the broader issue fairy tricky though. CU is by its very nature not supposed to be purely a cosy christian community (there would be little point, I think that's one of the roles of churches). The Christian Union name is definitely misleading there! But because CU, as an organisation, has that single focus, it can give the impression that that's the only focus of Christianity (or at least of member's faith) which is obviously plain wrong.

I hear 'heretic' used quite often as part of 'banter', but it's sad to hear your story since ultimately we're all one church family, children of God. :biggrin: It can be easy to forget that though. (in fact I find it's similarly easy for so many of God's wonderful truths :frown: )

I think the CU (at my uni) has a very particular idea of what exactly evangelism is, which can also be difficult. Their main focus tends to be on the heaven/hell aspects of faith, and telling people that they will go to Hell if they don't convert, which puts off far more people than it attracts, especially coupled with their sometimes quite aggressive manner. They also tend to promote one very specific idea of Christianity, which again I think misinforms a lot of people and in some cases reinforces people's negative ideas of Christianity rather than promoting the faith. I don't really know what the solution is, though :frown: and I'm sure if I did everything the way I think it should be done, people would have the same complaints about me.
Reply 84
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Asked for an indefinite ban. Aula, please tell Cath Soc. Someone tell PS Help and MHSS please :cry2:

:cry:
I've told Cathsoc, but I'm not impressed :no:

Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
But that involves money that I don't have, from a job that has never existed using a credit card which I forgot to active in time (ugh).... There's a lot of flaws to this plan, but I like it anyway :godancing:

Oh yeah, subs cost a lot more now, I keep forgetting this. Just a suggestion anyway :yep:
Can all this Royal Baby coverage please just go away already? It's making me feel awfully Republican all of a sudden.

Original post by Aula

Oh yeah, subs cost a lot more now, I keep forgetting this. Just a suggestion anyway :yep:

It seems like a lot of money for what it is o.o
Can all this Royal Baby coverage please just go away already? It's making me feel awfully Republican all of a sudden.

Aww spoil sport. :tongue: Just when I was about to come in and gush "It's a boy!!! :ahee: :gah: " everywhere. :tongue:
Reply 87
Original post by tasha96
Aww spoil sport. :tongue: Just when I was about to come in and gush "It's a boy!!! :ahee: :gah: " everywhere. :tongue:

It's a boy!!! :ahee: :gah:

:giggle:
Reply 88
:ninja:

Spoiler

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 89
Original post by Norfolkadam
It's from Coventry Cathedral, it was donated by the Swedish.

You're from South of the Waveney? Shudder. We do not cross the Waveney.

Except when we live in Bristol :colondollar: Norfolk born and bred though.

Born, or hatched? Yes. I'm a Suffolk boy.

I, too, live in Bristol. Are you at Bristol, or UWE or summat?
Gyah, can't decide if I prefer this avy or 'Rev' ¬¬

Original post by tasha96

Whoo! I'm pre-emptively ruining people's time. I'm getting good at this :yep:
Original post by AtomicTheory
I think the CU (at my uni) has a very particular idea of what exactly evangelism is, which can also be difficult. Their main focus tends to be on the heaven/hell aspects of faith, and telling people that they will go to Hell if they don't convert, which puts off far more people than it attracts, especially coupled with their sometimes quite aggressive manner. They also tend to promote one very specific idea of Christianity, which again I think misinforms a lot of people and in some cases reinforces people's negative ideas of Christianity rather than promoting the faith. I don't really know what the solution is, though :frown: and I'm sure if I did everything the way I think it should be done, people would have the same complaints about me.
What sort of evangelism do you think your CU would prefer not to focus on? If you were running the CU, what would you do? (feel no obligation to answer either of those!)

I suppose my (CU influenced :tongue:) view is that heaven/hell is an important issue, but certainly not a place to exclusively focus. If you didn't talk about it at all, people would be justified [using the word in a non-Christian sense :wink:] in wondering why you were avoiding it. But obviously the other extreme would be silly too - that would never bring anyone to Christ! Ideally I think you want to show people how the different parts of Christianity (many of which they'll have heard vaguely of before) fit together, and make a coherent set of beliefs. [That's an ideal that just occurred to me, not something I claim the CU is doing :tongue:]

The question of being overly forceful is definitely also an important one. Something that one of my friends ran last term was a let me explain/discuss why this is so important to ME dinner. His willingness to be open brought along a number of friends who wouldn't come to a conventional talk if you asked them fifty times! And it was almost certainly more productive than if they had come to such a talk. A personal aim is to start more conversations with friends (both christian and non-christian, though I'm thinking here more of the latter) about what they believe. I wait to experience how non-forcefully that can be done...
Original post by Mazzini

Spoiler

Spoiler

I wanted it to be a girl - having a Queen just feels natural :tongue: But there won't be another in my lifetime!
I wanted it to be a girl - having a Queen just feels natural :tongue: But there won't be another in my lifetime!

YOU. It's 2am. Go to bed :security:

I don't even know the kid's name, I want to see how long I can go with my head in the ground and not know a thing about it.
YOU. It's 2am. Go to bed :security:

I don't even know the kid's name, I want to see how long I can go with my head in the ground and not know a thing about it.

I'm in the USA and it's 9.10pm :tongue:

Though as a good Christian with an early bed time, I still hope to be bed in the next hour (joking about the first part, though not the second... :wink: )

His name hasn't been announced (or potentially even decided, though that seems unlikely!)
I'm in the USA and it's 9.10pm :tongue:

Though as a good Christian with an early bed time, I still hope to be bed in the next hour (joking about the first part, though not the second... :wink: )

His name hasn't been announced (or potentially even decided, though that seems unlikely!)

Alas that doesn't fit in with my ego-centric view of the world so I refuse to acknowledge that :albertein:

Wow that is early... Ode to be able to have a logical biological clock like that, mine only feels sleepy after sleep :angry:

For realz-y!? Wow they are dragging this on aren't they? Maybe in a month's time they'll let us know what colour eyes he has via pay-per-view :awesome:
Alas that doesn't fit in with my ego-centric view of the world so I refuse to acknowledge that :albertein:

Wow that is early... Ode to be able to have a logical biological clock like that, mine only feels sleepy after sleep :angry:

For realz-y!? Wow they are dragging this on aren't they? Maybe in a month's time they'll let us know what colour eyes he has via pay-per-view :awesome:

I'll also feel sleepy tomorrow morning, but work beckons.... (and I, for no logical reason, prefer to get out of work earlier, rather than staying into the evening)
Original post by OurSeaBee
Born, or hatched? Yes. I'm a Suffolk boy.

I, too, live in Bristol. Are you at Bristol, or UWE or summat?

I came here for work, I've not actually been a student for a few years now. What brings you here?
Reply 98

:console:

If the baby had been a girl, I would've bet on her being called Elizabeth :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 99
Original post by Norfolkadam
I came here for work, I've not actually been a student for a few years now. What brings you here?

BA Archaeology at the UoB.

You're not a.student? IMPOSTOR!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending