The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

adjustment/clearing?

hey, so I'm reconsidering my firm choice and wondered if anyone knew whether Swansea Uni accepts many people through adjustment (if my grades are better) or clearing (if they're not). I never applied to them originally, would this make a difference? It would be for French joint honours, probably with ancient history.
Thanks!! :smile:
Reply 1
It all depends on what places are available on results day and these won't be advertised until then. If I remember correctly languages and history were both in clearing in 2012. I was one of the students assisting the clearing helplines last summer. It won't make a difference that you did not apply first time round but you can always give them a quick email enquiring about this years Adjustment/Clearing procedures and about the courses you'll be interested in, it couldn't hurt but to show an interest before those days.
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Reply 2
thank you! will definitely think about emailing or calling to ask (:
Reply 3
No problem :smile: I would say it's definitely worth contacting them soon. As part of your application we always make sure each clearing or adjustment applicant can speak to the admissions lecturer in the department they are applying for and it would be useful for you if they know of you before hand. Showing them you are passionate about the course and for Swansea makes them more likely to accept you.
Reply 4
thank you so much! that's so helpful and I really appreciate it (:
Reply 5
Original post by d0000dle
No problem :smile: I would say it's definitely worth contacting them soon. As part of your application we always make sure each clearing or adjustment applicant can speak to the admissions lecturer in the department they are applying for and it would be useful for you if they know of you before hand. Showing them you are passionate about the course and for Swansea makes them more likely to accept you.

As somebody who has the exact same problem, only my firm choice is Swansea and I wish to go to Royal Holloway, what exactly would I say to them that doesn't sound like desperate begging? I already applied for them and they gave me a conditional offer and I didn't need an interview?
Reply 6
Original post by Amclean
As somebody who has the exact same problem, only my firm choice is Swansea and I wish to go to Royal Holloway, what exactly would I say to them that doesn't sound like desperate begging? I already applied for them and they gave me a conditional offer and I didn't need an interview?

Just tell them the truth, admissions' tutors are normally very understanding and you will not be the only one that want's to change. Perhaps throw in how much you believe you will be suited to their uni and their course, but honesty is normally the best policy.
Reply 7
Original post by d0000dle
Just tell them the truth, admissions' tutors are normally very understanding and you will not be the only one that want's to change. Perhaps throw in how much you believe you will be suited to their uni and their course, but honesty is normally the best policy.

Okay that will be easy. Is this a common thing or are they at least familiar to this type of situation? I mean all I can expect them to tell me at best is 'We look forward to helping you on results day'. If I were to get the grades for my firm choice, don't I automatically go there? I'm expecting my grades to meet their requirements however, although I may not reach the slightly higher required grades by RHUL, couldn't I still contact them to see if there's a place for me?
Reply 8
You do automatically go to your firm choice if you get your grades. You will need to ring Swansea up and asked to be released into Clearing, but speak with RHUL to ensure you have a place if you were to do this first. Try and start this process as soon as possible on results day, as phone lines will be busy. This is partly why I suggest contacting Royal Holloway now as you can establish contact because knowing who you are will speed up the process (hopefully, no guarantees but every little helps so they say).
I got a place at Swansea via clearing. I did IB and got 26 points, even though the entry requirements were 30 points. Just send them your results, and if there are still places on your chosen course, you'll be fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest