The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
Original post by RebornMTG
How have you found the learning curve? Some players, even after playing for a few years still don't understand half of the mechanics to a good enough level. I can tell you that one from experience!

Is anyone here playing standard? What's your local meta like?

Let's see if we can get some conversation going in this thread again..

the learning curve has been good, still getting used to the intricacies of all the rules :smile:

local meta? whats that? :colondollar:
Hey all. Haven't posted here before but I started playing MTG a couple of years ago when my mate introduced me to it. I've got quite a few decks made up. My favourite is an all green elf deck.

Need more people to play with though.

Sent via TSR Android app
Reply 562
Original post by Crimmy
the learning curve has been good, still getting used to the intricacies of all the rules :smile:

local meta? whats that? :colondollar:

It's one of the best parts of the game if you ask me. Finding some of the more subtle interactions between the cards that you may not have seen or known. Pretty interesting stuff :smile:

A "local meta" is essentially the meta game - What other people are playing around you, what you do to counter their strategies. It's the best way I can explain it.

Original post by AlesanaWill
Hey all. Haven't posted here before but I started playing MTG a couple of years ago when my mate introduced me to it. I've got quite a few decks made up. My favourite is an all green elf deck.

Need more people to play with though.

Sent via TSR Android app

I know that feeling. I started playing on some online software called Cockatrice due to not being close to a place to play. Best decision I ever made. Tons of people are online playing anything from tournament winning decks to random homebrews that only that person has played with before. It's all good stuff!

If anyone needs any advice on rules, how to get started with the game(both online and offline) or some deck construction advice, give me a shout via PM or quote me in this thread. I'm always happy to help :smile:
Reply 563
Original post by RebornMTG
It's one of the best parts of the game if you ask me. Finding some of the more subtle interactions between the cards that you may not have seen or known. Pretty interesting stuff :smile:

A "local meta" is essentially the meta game - What other people are playing around you, what you do to counter their strategies. It's the best way I can explain it.

so the meta is a bit like how you modify your deck to counter a regular opponents strategies? :smile:
Reply 564
Original post by Crimmy
so the meta is a bit like how you modify your deck to counter a regular opponents strategies? :smile:

Essentially yes. If you were to ever play a tournament you would play your standard 60 card deck and a 15 card sideboard to change between games within your match. Most matches are 3 games long, best 2/3. Game 2 is when you'll start using your sideboarded cards based on information gathered from your first game.

It's one of the best and most difficult skills to learn while playing, ensuring that your sideboard is relevant and also knowing when to side what in any given matchup.
Hey, I am a complete newbie to magic only been playing a couple of weeks I have 3 decks. Still getting to grips with it :smile:
Reply 566
Original post by treehugger18
Hey, I am a complete newbie to magic only been playing a couple of weeks I have 3 decks. Still getting to grips with it :smile:

hi :smile: what decks do you run? what colours/combos? :smile:
Accepted a few society applications the last couple of times I've been on, so welcome everyone who has joined the group (and sorry for the very long wait).

I'm back in the UK and back playing a bit of MTG, just dipping in to my old box of cards (haven't bought a card in the last 5 years, got stuff from Arabian Nights all the way to Future Sight in there). Heard about some rule changes, not really looked in to them yet, and playing just for the craic rather than wanting to be competitive. Bit of an odd one, but does anyone still play with the Unglued/Unhinged cards for a laugh?
I borrow decks off friends... (can't afford to start another expensive habit...) he has an epic angel deck and a pretty good white human deck and a solid vampire deck as well as a few others that he won't let me borrow...
Original post by natninja
I borrow decks off friends... (can't afford to start another expensive habit...) he has an epic angel deck and a pretty good white human deck and a solid vampire deck as well as a few others that he won't let me borrow...

If you want to just have some fun playing the game, and don't want to spend out on it, I'd say it might be worth buying just some sleeves, and using proxy cards (print out copies of the card, and stick them in the sleeves), so you can have the fun of putting together your own deck. I know a few people who take that route with the game, either to see how much they like it before investing in it, or to use cards they otherwise wouldn't have the chance to use.
Original post by Eru Iluvatar
If you want to just have some fun playing the game, and don't want to spend out on it, I'd say it might be worth buying just some sleeves, and using proxy cards (print out copies of the card, and stick them in the sleeves), so you can have the fun of putting together your own deck. I know a few people who take that route with the game, either to see how much they like it before investing in it, or to use cards they otherwise wouldn't have the chance to use.

Hmmm I might do that :smile: sounds like a good idea +1
Hmmm I might do that :smile: sounds like a good idea +1

Just make sure you agree with whoever you're playing with on the format first. Having access to all the 'current' cards is cool, but not overpowered, but access to every card in magic history is very different. And if they don't care about what cards you choose, Erratic Explosion + Gleemax. You're welcome :wink: .
Just make sure you agree with whoever you're playing with on the format first. Having access to all the 'current' cards is cool, but not overpowered, but access to every card in magic history is very different. And if they don't care about what cards you choose, Erratic Explosion + Gleemax. You're welcome :wink: .

True true - though after playing with an angel deck I may try to build one, even though you kinda have to get a lucky landfall before you can play any creatures...
True true - though after playing with an angel deck I may try to build one, even though you kinda have to get a lucky landfall before you can play any creatures...

I'm not even remotely familiar with angel decks, but did a bit of googling and found http://www.squidoo.com/magic-the-gathering-angel-deck#module156135602 which seems to give a lot of information on the options for such a deck. Generally though if a deck requires too much on luck to get the right cards, it's not a great deck relatively speaking (though Quicksilver Amulet is suggested as a solution to, and seems to work well with, high cost or 'difficult' multi-coloured cost creatures).
I'm not even remotely familiar with angel decks, but did a bit of googling and found http://www.squidoo.com/magic-the-gathering-angel-deck#module156135602 which seems to give a lot of information on the options for such a deck. Generally though if a deck requires too much on luck to get the right cards, it's not a great deck relatively speaking (though Quicksilver Amulet is suggested as a solution to, and seems to work well with, high cost or 'difficult' multi-coloured cost creatures).

I think most angel cards are just high cost white but there are some cheaper ones that aren't so good - the deck has to be pretty carefully constructed or it won't work at all
Original post by Crimmy
hi :smile: what decks do you run? what colours/combos? :smile:

so for I have Izzet, gorgari and Issmic and I general stick to green and black what about you??
Reply 576
so for I have Izzet, gorgari and Issmic and I general stick to green and black what about you??

sounds good :smile: is golgari your favourite then?

Selesnya :smile: and about to start developing an Izzet deck :smile:
Original post by Crimmy
sounds good :smile: is golgari your favourite then?

Selesnya :smile: and about to start developing an Izzet deck :smile:

it is I also like working with the vampires and zombies because I do enjoy using there effects. :smile: it is a silly question but I really don't understand where tokens are concerned, I was playing the other day and a card said bring the goblin token to the field? :/
Reply 578
it is I also like working with the vampires and zombies because I do enjoy using there effects. :smile: it is a silly question but I really don't understand where tokens are concerned, I was playing the other day and a card said bring the goblin token to the field? :/

my dad runs a vampire deck and my brother a zombie one :biggrin:

Tokens are weird little animals which have advantages and disadvantages... but they're what I base my deck on :tongue: basically, a token is a monster. Generally they don't have magical abilities, and are just part of a horde, so the goblin token would be 1/1, which is pretty crap on its own, but tokens have an ability which nothing else really has: with the right spells, they can multiply :tongue: so, granted a 1/1 goblin token is a bit useless, but if you populate it to 10 or 20 1/1's, then its a different matter entirely :smile: tokens don't go to the graveyard though, which is annoying if you have something which can resuscitate things in the graveyard :tongue: also, there are spells and enchantments which give only tokens lovely skills, a particular favourite of mine is one called intangible virtue, which gives all tokens +1/+1 and vigilance, and it costs 2 :smile:

does that make sense?

If my deck runs at its best, by about turn 10 I can have about 6 or 7 11/11 vigilant flying angel tokens on the field, all with hexproof :colone: and each turn they more then double :colone:
Hello everyone !!! :smile: I recently was introduced to this game and now I'm quite hooked :p:p Could anyone spare any time to look at my proposing deck. Many thanks :smile:

64 cards
Land 24
14- Forest
10 Green

artifact
sun of wild magus x1

Creatures (20)
Scab-clan charger X1
Slaughterhorn X1
Advocate of the beast X1
Briarpack alpha X1
Deadly recluse X1