The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xDave-
Left wing is my biggest annoyance, and has been for some time. We actually only have one left winger under the age of 39, and that left winger is right footed. Obviously we have Giggs, Nani, Welbeck, Rooney and Zaha that can all play there, but I always feel like everyone is out of position when they're there. It'd be nice to have someone that seems comfortable there. Basically I'm tired of seeing everyone on that flank cutting inside, Evra is our most potent attacking threat on the left. Considering we're a team that is renowned for utilising the wings, we haven't had someone that fits on the left since Giggs was younger.
There does seem to be a trend for wingers to switch flanks though, even Bale who was touted as the left winger is now more happy playing on the right. If you want someone to score they need to be able to cut inside. Not sure who really fits the bill. Ideally I think we would get a modern winger, someone who can float either way, more of a wide forward than a winger of the Chelsea or City style, a Mata who can really do it all. Muniain hasn't been great of late, and Bilbao might need to money after their little Llorente disaster. He'd probably be a mover for in the region of £20m. Someone would surely need to go though because the front line would be massively overloaded.

Original post by Kenan and Kel
I think Barcelona would want a guaranteed replacement lined up (like Gundogan) if they were willing to let go of Fabregas. Tbh, I see Barcelona adopting the double pivot in future years as Xavi fades out of their starting line-up. Busquets with Mascherano/Song/SomeoneNew with a more flexible four in front of them, consisting of Iniesta (CAM), Messi (CF), Neymar (LW) and someone else.
It makes you ask if we are getting up to these kind of numbers why we don't take a pop at Gundogan. Dortmund let Gotze go for that kind of money, the wunder kid they didn't want to sell to Bayern. I guess it depends how many players Dortmund can be forced to sell in one window, they certainly don't actually need the money but their principles might mean they could sell for that kind of money.
I don't think you need to have a left footer on the left, but they need to be comfortable using it.

Our current players tend to cut inside everytime. Especially Young. I really hate watching him play. He's so predictable. Nani is the only one that is happier to run down the left and use his left to cross the ball in. He can also cut inside, too. His play is a lot less predictable.

Another winger that is comfortable on the left would still be nice, though.
Dembele would have been brilliant
Hiddink was reportedly going to retire before the Russian season began so Rene might have been brought into assist if Guus stayed or take over if he left. Good opportunity for him at a club that has spent alot of money compared to other clubs in Russia but it's outta the way so he can build his coaching credentials in relative peace. I don't really believe deep down he believed the club was going to look within OT for SAF's replacement; never a possibility. Carlos Queiroz, seemed keen on the job when he was around but he faltered away from OT but intrigued by how Rene does in the number one position.

Not really digesting the Fabregas second bid stories - no point in discussing something that won't happen. Just sounds a futile attempt.

In regards to the public chase of Cesc; I guess this is a new partnership of Moyes-Woodward compared to SAF-Gill who kept signings pretty much on lockdown until they were officially done. From what I've seen of Moyes at Everton, he's always been pretty upfront about signings; so he's playing to his normal form. Woodward I'm not too sure about but it might be a case of both men sitting down saying we need to project an exterior image of wanting to do just as much as the other clubs - if not in actual signings but letting the fans know our new team is just as ready as the old one.

I still think by the end of the transfer window, we'll have an ex-Everton player within our ranks. I'm just hoping it's Baines or Fellaini than Leon Osman.
Original post by doggyfizzel

It makes you ask if we are getting up to these kind of numbers why we don't take a pop at Gundogan. Dortmund let Gotze go for that kind of money, the wunder kid they didn't want to sell to Bayern. I guess it depends how many players Dortmund can be forced to sell in one window, they certainly don't actually need the money but their principles might mean they could sell for that kind of money.

Because there is still a HUGE difference between Fabregas and Gundogan. Fabregas is Premier League proven, and a certified match-winner. He is someone that in my opinion, would be a huge step towards success in the league. As for Gotze, I thought he decided to go once Bayern activated his buy-out clause?
Original post by NathanW18
I don't think you need to have a left footer on the left, but they need to be comfortable using it.

We should play valencia on the left just for a laugh

Original post by DH1'
I really wouldn't mind Schneiderlin of Southampton. Think he's a really tidy player, great at intercepting, tackling, covering ground. Would complement Carrick well and i don't think he would cost too much either.

Signed a new deal in Feb until 2017
Original post by moonmonkey812

Watching Valencia try to use his left foot would be so painful. :frown:
Original post by moonmonkey812

He'd just run to the corner flag and get confused - probably concede so many throw-ins and goal kicks.
There does seem to be a trend for wingers to switch flanks though, even Bale who was touted as the left winger is now more happy playing on the right. If you want someone to score they need to be able to cut inside. Not sure who really fits the bill. Ideally I think we would get a modern winger, someone who can float either way, more of a wide forward than a winger of the Chelsea or City style, a Mata who can really do it all. Muniain hasn't been great of late, and Bilbao might need to money after their little Llorente disaster. He'd probably be a mover for in the region of £20m. Someone would surely need to go though because the front line would be massively overloaded.

Bayern paid Gotze's release fee, they had no choice. The chances of Gundogan leaving are virtually nil tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aky786UK

In regards to the public chase of Cesc; I guess this is a new partnership of Moyes-Woodward compared to SAF-Gill who kept signings pretty much on lockdown until they were officially done. From what I've seen of Moyes at Everton, he's always been pretty upfront about signings; so he's playing to his normal form. Woodward I'm not too sure about but it might be a case of both men sitting down saying we need to project an exterior image of wanting to do just as much as the other clubs - if not in actual signings but letting the fans know our new team is just as ready as the old one.

It might just be me, but after the SAF-Gill method of conducting transfers I am finding the more public tendency of Moyes and Woodward, well, distasteful for lack of a better word. I just don't understand why we need to go about spouting on about things which should be kept behind the scenes.
Original post by xDave-
Well, you say transfers, but he's said we're looking at other players and he hasn't named them. I don't believe Baines has been talked about by Moyes either, and it's known that we put in a bid for him. It's only Fabregas he's talking about openly, perhaps there's some reason for that? I can't think what that might be, mind.

Ah for some reason I thought a Thiago bid was publically discused. Yea I still can't work out a reason..

Original post by Tommyjw
It could be a change in how we approach transfers, an article was written about it that i read earlier today by Andy Mitten, talking about the fresh approach, pleasing the fans, basically saying "We’re Man United, the champions of England and we’re going to sign this or that player’" like it says etc.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/woodward-regime-change-direction-united-5163309

But its hard to see whether this is an actual change, or if these examples of just irregular activities, or whether its just this summer because of the managerial change as a 'lets let the fans know what we are doing' thing.

Cesc individually though, the only reasons to come out with it publically if not for a general change in policy are to please the fans, to show the selling club we are seriously interested enough that we will publicly say so, and to tell the player we are willing to publicly announce we want him in the hopes it sways their decision.

If anything, i think it is just telling Fabregas "Look, we want you so bad we are willing to tell the public something we hardly ever do", which if we believe the reports Fabregas may be open to a move if Barcelona would be willing to sell him, may fit in with trying to sway his decision in our favour over staying and seeing what happens or forcing the move to Arsenal instead.

I really don't understand this transfer, it is the one of the weirdest substantiated possibilities i've seen in a while. Two bids means someone somewhere is giving this idea the go ahead as a possibility and i find that odd.

Do you not think such a public approach to transfers can only lead to egg on your face? One is the risk that a player turns you down and the second is while you're trying to approach a few players to sign for one position (clubs always have back up options), you either declare them all or you only declare one and then the other players/clubs know more about your position, which can only weaken yours.

Surely putting in a concrete bid is a sufficient display of intention rather than needing to put it out in the public? Even if Fabregas was thinking of moving - the public desperation shown by Man Utd will only lead to Fabregas' agent having more power in negotiations.

Even more odd that Barca have seemingly said hands off

"Fabregas is not for sale," a Barcelona source said on Monday. "The president (Sandro Rosell) has been very clear with Man United."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23404946

Really bizzare! Moyes is a smart man who kept his cards to his chest at Everton so I don't understand what's going on.

I get it completely, players hold so much power in todays game, once a player announces they want to leave the ability of the club to hold on to them is difficult, once they have a destination its near impossible. By announcing it publicly, you give them a destination, even a hint of wanting to leave makes things difficult. I don't think there is much of a downside of making it public you would like to get a player like Fabregas, most club's would, so the position you would like him but can't have him is pretty much assumed. I guess there are still some deals like Kagawa the club would like to keep quiet, mainly because there is nothing to be gained by going public, but I can't think of many high profile moves that have occurred of late on the quiet.

Well that only works if the player actually wants to leave? Usually to a club he's a fan of or bigger club or more money.. but here Fabregas hasn't come out to say any of that (if anything, he did the opposite in the past by forcing a move to Barcelona).

Agreed that every club would like to get a player like Fabregas but if after this protracted saga, the player stays at Barcelona then the club look silly to having chased him for weeks on end?

Tbh most high profile moves which are done publically are usually the player saying he wants to move or agents putting information into the public but rarely do you see a buying club say we've made a bid unless the player has basically told them he wants to move to them.

I can't imagine Fabregas has told the club he wants to leave after such a drama about going back to his boyhood club..?
Original post by Zerforax

Do you not think such a public approach to transfers can only lead to egg on your face?

Think it depends on what else happens. Failing to sign Cesc + signing Modric may cause less focus on the announcement of the bids than Failing to sign Cesc + buying .. Osman or whatever. Clearly if we get him i don't think too many people will care, there will probably be stories about the public approach, the impact on Cesc and other crap they'll write to fill papers.

But in the end, i don't think its much different than what would happen if we didnt say it in public. Thiago didnt have any public comments such as this really but we still have the "United failed to sign Thiago" comments that go alongside having no pulling power, no-one wants to play for Moyes etc type comments too, which we dont know if true or not given some suggest we didnt even put in the buyout clause/negotiated fee anyway.

If Fabregas was the same, not out in public, semi-reliable people reporting on it and we are still going to get the same comments if he doesnt sign, and even more-so if the stories were about actual bids like we know is true.

I'm not too bothered about the public approach. I'm confused as to why its being done or why the sudden change, but i dont think much harm can come of it. At the end of the day, Manchester United know if and why they missed out on x player and y player, i highly doubt they give a **** if the Daily Mail writes an article about how we failed to sign Cesc after 'embarrassinging desperate public comments' or whatever.
Original post by DH1'
All the signs point to Moyes buying two midfielders. One creative, and the other more defensive. I really wouldn't mind Schneiderlin of Southampton. Think he's a really tidy player, great at intercepting, tackling, covering ground. Would complement Carrick well and i don't think he would cost too much either.

Felliaini and Cabaye.
Reply 7193
Yokohama F·Marinos Vs Manchester United

De Gea; Fabio, Jones, Evans, Evra; Anderson, Cleverley; Zaha, Lingard, Januzaj; Van Persie

Beauty of a team

Their team has an average age of 29.5, ours is 23.5
Original post by River85
Felliaini and Cabaye.

I'm not convinced Cabaye is a good choice, especially as a player to play alongside (rather than instead of) Carrick. With the pursuit of players like Fabregas, it would seem very much like a step down.
If you are pursuing Cesc, pretty much everyone is a step down.
Reply 7197
Good team
Original post by Eru Iluvatar
I'm not convinced Cabaye is a good choice, especially as a player to play alongside (rather than instead of) Carrick. With the pursuit of players like Fabregas, it would seem very much like a step down.

I'm taking the piss out of the constant transfer rumours and pointless discussion/speculation, to be honest, and also the likely disappointment of getting the one or two world class players. I'm not suggesting these are my choices.

But Cabaye is a quality player when he's not playing in a team that, despite having some great talent, is asked to play hoofball.
De Gea has produced some absolutely awesome saves in this game. Januzaj has also came close to scoring. Still 1-0 down though :/

Latest