The Student Room Group

FDMGroup: Scam?

Hi,

I was really happy as I had a telephone interview with FDMGroup and an hour later they sent me an email saying I made it through to the next round which is an assessment centre. But then I went on Google for reviews and I was shock (take a look at this: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2374919 (esp the posts towards the end)). People saying there're a scam, dodgy etc.

This guy (http://www.glassdoor.com/Interview/FDM-Group-Interview-RVW912936.htm) declined the offer they made him saying it sounded dubious, dodgy, they asked him silly questions like "How do you make a Hello World program?".

Thoughts? What do you think?

Edit: Their website looks legit http://www.fdmgroup.com/
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not really a scam just ties you to a terrible contract, if you're dumb enough to sign up go ahead.
Original post by grumbeale
Not really a scam just ties you to a terrible contract, if you're dumb enough to sign up go ahead.

Thanks for that.

I'm definately not gonna sign up but thinking I should go to the assessment centre to see how it goes, nothing to lose, what do you think?
Reply 3
Original post by Prokaryotic_crap
Thanks for that.

I'm definately not gonna sign up but thinking I should go to the assessment centre to see how it goes, nothing to lose, what do you think?

Go along with suspicion.
Go along with suspicion.

yh, exactly what I was thinking, I won't sign anything
Reply 5
Hey, just to update this thread.

I got a call from fdm group today to book a telephone interview and the job and training look great for a grad, but after reading all this training academy scam. Im going to cancel that.
Reply 6
Hello there,

I am also very doubtful about the whole thing.

In a nutshell, I am one of the original 'recession fatalities'. Finished my undergraduate in 2010 (in a built environment subject), worked in temp jobs till 2012, and I have just completed a MScDip (not sure if I will go on to do the dissertation for a full MSc as this for me was a 'topper' qualification, and it is, so far, not doing anything for me!).

Anyhow, I had a short term contract in the past year within and IT department which I enjoyed and I think I would be very happy to work in the industry. I love technology and I think to have those qualities needed for the industry

BUT

Years of no jobs and being let down are turning me into a negative-nancy and I have lost my confidence almost completely.Again, I am working for a temp agency and it is killing me. Just to be clear, I don't mind working in any field and I think all workers deserve respect - for me is the uncertainty and not knowing if I will be working tomorrow or next week that is intolerable!

I have applied for the FDM Academy Graduate Training Scheme, and I did get loads and loads of phone calls today - I cannot answer as (today) I am working.

There are loads of reviews online and I would like to get the opinion of someone that has been with them and gone through the process kind of recently. I am just curious to see if they have changed their ways? I cannot imagine a company doing nothing in response to some many bad reviews.I don't want to let my desperation to get a job tie me up to something that is not right.

I would appreciate the input of anyone who has had experiences, good or bad with them before I give them a call back. The last thing I want is getting into debt just because I want a job/career.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by MissSQ
Hello there,

I am also very doubtful about the whole thing.

In a nutshell, I am one of the original 'recession fatalities'. Finished my undergraduate in 2010 (in a built environment subject), worked in temp jobs till 2012, and I have just completed a MScDip (not sure if I will go on to do the dissertation for a full MSc as this for me was a 'topper' qualification, and it is, so far, not doing anything for me!).

Anyhow, I had a short term contract in the past year within and IT department which I enjoyed and I think I would be very happy to work in the industry. I love technology and I think to have those qualities needed for the industry

BUT

Years of no jobs and being let down are turning me into a negative-nancy and I have lost my confidence almost completely.Again, I am working for a temp agency and it is killing me. Just to be clear, I don't mind working in any field and I think all workers deserve respect - for me is the uncertainty and not knowing if I will be working tomorrow or next week that is intolerable!

I have applied for the FDM Academy Graduate Training Scheme, and I did get loads and loads of phone calls today - I cannot answer as (today) I am working.

There are loads of reviews online and I would like to get the opinion of someone that has been with them and gone through the process kind of recently. I am just curious to see if they have changed their ways? I cannot imagine a company doing nothing in response to some many bad reviews.I don't want to let my desperation to get a job tie me up to something that is not right.

I would appreciate the input of anyone who has had experiences, good or bad with them before I give them a call back. The last thing I want is getting into debt just because I want a job/career.

Thank you :smile:

Hey MissSQ,

I actually went to their assessment centre after that ridiculously easy telephone interview I mentioned in my OP. Just to give you heads up if you get invited and decide to go: they first will give you a presentation (which is basically the video on youtube/their website whateva), then they'll split you up into groups of five and ask you to imagine you are a famous person from history (you choose who) and you are on a sinking boat with the other four people and the boat can only hold one person, and basically you have to argue as to why you should be the one who remains on the boat and not get chucked off. The next activity is an individual interview. Then they will give you a written test to see your basic knowledge of IT. Then finally they will give a long presentation where someone from HR comes and talks about 'the contract'...

I didn't get an offer but if I did I wouldn't have accepted it anyway. Its not worth it. The training is for twelve weeks 9am to 5pm Mon-Fri in which you are not paid and you are expected to turn up every day and on time...and by the way, if you don't turn up a day or two without what they deem as a good reason or they think you are not making satisfactory progress they have the right to cancel they contract and you therefore have to pay for the training which is £20,000!!!

After the training is complete, you are tied to them for two years. Basically, they are your employer for two years and if you break this and refuse to work for them, again you pay the £20K. They will try to trick you saying that if they don't find you work within 90 days, then the contract terminates and you are no longer bound to them, but if you read the contract properly (which you should do if you go, they'll give you a copy to read), it does not say what kind of work, so you might be after a Java Developer role for example (like I was) and they can ship you off to a bank to work as an IT Technician and you have to do it.

If you do go though, make sure to ask them lots of questions, bombard them with questions, especially after they give the presentation about the contract. And most of all, DON'T SIGN ANYTHING.

Good luck!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Hello Prokaryotic_crap,

Thank you for your post.

I will definitely take your advice and not bother with them. It is sad that at this time when people are struggling to get jobs such companies take advantage.

I will keep trying to secure employment and, hopefully, everything will be picking up.

Thank you again, very much appreciate :smile:

MissSq
Reply 9
Original post by MissSQ
Hello Prokaryotic_crap,

Thank you for your post.

I will definitely take your advice and not bother with them. It is sad that at this time when people are struggling to get jobs such companies take advantage.

I will keep trying to secure employment and, hopefully, everything will be picking up.

Thank you again, very much appreciate :smile:

MissSq

Hi Miss Sq,

My brother actually graduated in 2010 also, and he applied for FDM after a year of not having any hope of a job.

He got the position at FDM and after his 3 months training her landed a job with UBS part of application support role in Zurich. He is now in his 2nd year finishes in Feb 2014, and absolutely loves it. He has been offered to stay on with a salary of upto £120K in Zurich. ATM FDM pays him £40K as that is Zurich's pay as it is an expensive city. If he was looking to come back to the UK he would be looking at a salary of £50-60K as well... which isn't bad considering you may not yourself get there without the initial foot through the door.

He does not keep communication with FDM but very much is involved with him client and has made several contacts and really made an effort to secure himself a position within the company. So as long as the client likes you it is absolutely fine and as long as you can get yourself a position with a client you should be fine.

In terms of "scam" it is not. They openly say you have to complete the 2 years or you pay them back for the training. That is the hardest part... the commitment. If they don't secure you a position after 3 months from when you are signed off from completing training, you are not charged for the training.

I recently myself went to an AC for them and got the position... and I am hesitant to take it on but it is good if you cannot find anything else for yourself. I am only hesitant as I have 2 more AC for amazing companies with whom my future is more secure and location known, unlike with FDM.

But you sound like you would fit in perfectly there as you have a passion for IT and seem very technical.

Anyway hope that helped.

Jokerdap89
Reply 10
Original post by jokerdap89
Hi Miss Sq,

My brother actually graduated in 2010 also, and he applied for FDM after a year of not having any hope of a job.

He got the position at FDM and after his 3 months training her landed a job with UBS part of application support role in Zurich. He is now in his 2nd year finishes in Feb 2014, and absolutely loves it. He has been offered to stay on with a salary of upto £120K in Zurich. ATM FDM pays him £40K as that is Zurich's pay as it is an expensive city. If he was looking to come back to the UK he would be looking at a salary of £50-60K as well... which isn't bad considering you may not yourself get there without the initial foot through the door.

He does not keep communication with FDM but very much is involved with him client and has made several contacts and really made an effort to secure himself a position within the company. So as long as the client likes you it is absolutely fine and as long as you can get yourself a position with a client you should be fine.

In terms of "scam" it is not. They openly say you have to complete the 2 years or you pay them back for the training. That is the hardest part... the commitment. If they don't secure you a position after 3 months from when you are signed off from completing training, you are not charged for the training. ....
Jokerdap89

I totally agree with this post. Although the unpaid training does sound like a 'scam' - it is worth while trying your best to get through it. As a IT graduate it is vital to pick up these qualifications and could be the difference between your degree/masters and your first job. I was successful at the assessment centre and I am considering my start date. It seems as if the users above are very stubborn and are negative against them because they were not successful. As I said, I need to agree with the whole unpaid training dilemma but apart from that seems like a positive bright solution to kick start your IT career
Reply 11
hmm funny that. Saw this on glassdoor

[h="3"]pplications Support (Current Employee)
Zürich (Switzerland)

[/h]
I have been working at FDM Group full-time for more than 3 years
Pros - You get a job. In this recession that's at least something
- When you're placed you do form a social bond with other FDMers working in the same office as you

Cons - You will NEVER get paid anywhere near as much as a normal IT contractor who does the same work as you (probably around 60% of what they earn at MOST)
- Senior management and legal team take contract questions as threats and bully you into accepting their terms
- You don't get paid whilst training, and the training itself is pretty substandard
- You're forced to work for them for 2 years with the threat of legal action if you want to quit early
- I've met my accounts manager 6 times now and the person still doesn't know my name

Advice to Senior Management Please care about your mounties!

I was sent out to Switzerland to work at a major bank. Initially, despite being paid the same as the cleaners for the first 2 years I thought it was a pretty good opportunity, and I really enjoy the job itself.

However, as I came towards the end of my 3rd year I found that FDM no longer offer a competitive salary compared to other IT contracting agencies (they actually offered me about 60% of what I'd have earned working for ANY other contracting agency in Switzerland).

They then threatened legal action due to a a non-competitive clause that forbids us from working for any other contracting agency for a year after leaving FDM, and actually threatened the employing bank as well that it would pull all of its contractors if myself and several others tried to work in the same job but for a different agency. They actually went as far to send people out to Switzerland specifically to threaten us in person (rather than via email), which really strikes it home that all they care about is the money.

Due to internal politics I couldn't be employed by the bank itself, so I'm forced to stick it out with FDM earning a subpar salary, or quit and wait a year before I'm allowed to work again in my chosen career path.

So, I'm employed, but really not happy with the way myself and many others have been treated.

I'd be extremely wary of the flannel that FDM tell you. You will never get a job with an organization without paying this bunch of parasites through the nose

Original post by ItsallPR
hmm funny that. Saw this on glassdoor

[h="3"]pplications Support (Current Employee)
Zürich (Switzerland)

[/h]
I have been working at FDM Group full-time for more than 3 years
Pros - You get a job. In this recession that's at least something
- When you're placed you do form a social bond with other FDMers working in the same office as you

Cons - You will NEVER get paid anywhere near as much as a normal IT contractor who does the same work as you (probably around 60% of what they earn at MOST)
- Senior management and legal team take contract questions as threats and bully you into accepting their terms
- You don't get paid whilst training, and the training itself is pretty substandard
- You're forced to work for them for 2 years with the threat of legal action if you want to quit early
- I've met my accounts manager 6 times now and the person still doesn't know my name

Advice to Senior Management Please care about your mounties!

I was sent out to Switzerland to work at a major bank. Initially, despite being paid the same as the cleaners for the first 2 years I thought it was a pretty good opportunity, and I really enjoy the job itself.

However, as I came towards the end of my 3rd year I found that FDM no longer offer a competitive salary compared to other IT contracting agencies (they actually offered me about 60% of what I'd have earned working for ANY other contracting agency in Switzerland).

They then threatened legal action due to a a non-competitive clause that forbids us from working for any other contracting agency for a year after leaving FDM, and actually threatened the employing bank as well that it would pull all of its contractors if myself and several others tried to work in the same job but for a different agency. They actually went as far to send people out to Switzerland specifically to threaten us in person (rather than via email), which really strikes it home that all they care about is the money.

Due to internal politics I couldn't be employed by the bank itself, so I'm forced to stick it out with FDM earning a subpar salary, or quit and wait a year before I'm allowed to work again in my chosen career path.

So, I'm employed, but really not happy with the way myself and many others have been treated.

I'd be extremely wary of the flannel that FDM tell you. You will never get a job with an organization without paying this bunch of parasites through the nose

They sound like all they care about is money.

Do not sign anything when you go for an interview. It is your last resort if you cannot get anything

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Thank you guys for alerting me about this. I am an international student and had no idea that they're a scam. I have rejected their offer of an assessment center. Thanks again, you might have just saved my career !

Well excuse me! I have completed the training with FDM and am now in a top role with a prestigious client. The contract is nothing like terrible.

What I would say is that the assessment centre is not a great process. It is way too easy and being successful at that does not necessarily mean you will find the training that easy.
Once you get through the training then it is the ideal way to get a fantastic career. Some of the opportunities I had presented to me were nothing like the ones I could have got having not gone through FDM.
The training is 4 months (unless you get placed earlier like I did) and it is not ideal not being paid. But once you complete it you have a lot more skills in your arsenal.

I'll leave it there as I have just realized this post is 2 years old and you probably are all long past FDM. However, if you are not, then I suggest giving it a go as it has been fantastic so far.
Reply 15
I just got a telephone interview for the FDM Graduate Programme, I just want to get some more information before I take it.
First of all, I don't mind not being paid for the training as long as it will provide me with excellent career opportunities.
I am Business Graduate, so maybe there is anyone working for FDM Business sector?
I am a bit confused about the IT side though, do I need to be like a master of IT if I am applying for the Business programme? Maybe you know the approximate salary of the FDM Business Graduate Programme after you finish the training?
Sorry for so many questions, I just found this forum really informative :smile:
Thanks!
Reply 16
Original post by Dulis
I just got a telephone interview for the FDM Graduate Programme, I just want to get some more information before I take it.
First of all, I don't mind not being paid for the training as long as it will provide me with excellent career opportunities.
I am Business Graduate, so maybe there is anyone working for FDM Business sector?
I am a bit confused about the IT side though, do I need to be like a master of IT if I am applying for the Business programme? Maybe you know the approximate salary of the FDM Business Graduate Programme after you finish the training?
Sorry for so many questions, I just found this forum really informative :smile:
Thanks!

I will have a telephone interview tomorrow~ It seen that you have had the telephone interview long time ago. If you see this reply, can you give some advices about the telephone interview and have you joined the graduate programme of FDM? Thanks a lot if you can reply this message.
Reply 17
I was wondering if FDM group were up to their old ways or have they changed? They have been calling me recently and I've read the old reviews about them but I am not sure whether to go for it or not. Thanks :smile:
I've had this mob badgering me for a week or so. In this competitive grad market you have to think why they're contacting us. That set off alarms in my head straight away.

Seems like they're best ignored.
Original post by kheelife
I was wondering if FDM group were up to their old ways or have they changed? They have been calling me recently and I've read the old reviews about them but I am not sure whether to go for it or not. Thanks :smile:

Its really ideal for those that are struggling to land a job due to lack of networking connections or those that want to break into a specific field without any experience.
Just from looking at some linkedin profiles there are many kicking off the career in top banks et.c. What i've noticed its those that ended up in a role they didnt like or couldn't cope with the intense training therefore struggled to get a placement that complain a lot.

Latest

Trending

Trending