The Student Room Group

The Proof is Trivial!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jkn
Problem 278***

Evaluate limxΓ(x+1)xxex2πx\displaystyle \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{\Gamma(x+1)}{x^x e^{-x} \sqrt{2 \pi x}} for xRx \in \mathbb{R}.

Comment also on what happens when xCx \in \mathbb{C} and x|x| \to \infty.

Spoiler

(Sorry, doing this in a rush, I saw a question I could do with no thought at all and did that bit :P)
Reply 1961
Original post by bogstandardname
Is the supposed to be a natural log?

I assume so.

Spoiler

Reply 1962
Original post by Smaug123

Spoiler

(Sorry, doing this in a rush, I saw a question I could do with no thought at all and did that bit :P)

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Jkn

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by Jkn

Problem 281

Find an infinite series representation for cosπx\displaystyle \cos \frac{\pi}{x} and sinπx\displaystyle \sin \frac{\pi}{x} involving non-trancendental numbers (ignoring, of course, the possible transcendence of x). A transcendental number is a number that cannot be expressed as the root of a polynomial equation with integer coefficients.

I think you mean rational coefficients :tongue:
Took a crack at the limits one but copied out the question wrong. :facepalm: Back to square one.
Reply 1965

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 1966
Original post by joostan
I think you mean rational coefficients :tongue:
Took a crack at the limits one but copied out the question wrong. :facepalm: Back to square one.

I conjecture that any number that is a root of a polynomial with rational coefficients is also the root of a polynomial with integer coefficients. Prove me wrong? :wink:
Original post by Jkn
<this was spoilered>Oo is that that 'Variational Principles' stuff? :tongue:</spoilered>

Yep, it is - the stuff done in Part IB is pretty basic, but I just can't get the Euler-Lagrange equations to stick in my head, and they take me about two minutes to derive (during which time I could have solved a question if I knew the E-L equations). I'm resorting to Anki to learn them by heart :P
Original post by Jkn
I conjecture that any number that is a root of a polynomial with rational coefficients is also the root of a polynomial with integer coefficients. Prove me wrong? :wink:

Maybe joostan thought you meant "monic polynomial" or something :smile:
Original post by Jkn

Good point . . . :redface:

Maybe joostan thought you meant "monic polynomial" or something

That's what I was thinking, but I wasn't really thinking
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by bogstandardname
Is the supposed to be a natural log?

Yup! (we could, if we wished here, use the Gamma function)
Reply 1971
Yep, it is - the stuff done in Part IB is pretty basic, but I just can't get the Euler-Lagrange equations to stick in my head, and they take me about two minutes to derive (during which time I could have solved a question if I knew the E-L equations). I'm resorting to Anki to learn them by heart :P

Hahaha #CambridgeMathsLAD :lol:

No idea what any of that stuff is bro!

Anki? :tongue:
Original post by Hasufel
Yup! (we could, if we wished here, use the Gamma function)

Spoiler

Original post by Jkn
<spoilered>Oo is that that 'Variational Principles' stuff? :tongue:</spoilered>

The highlight of the course is when we prove that in the problem of finding the function that minimises the distance between two points, a straight line extremises that distance, and it is a local minimum. I don't think we ever proved that it was a global minimum.
Original post by Jkn

Euler-Lagrange is the differential equation which you use to extremise a functional (in the same way as you use the differential equation dfdx=0\dfrac{df}{dx} = 0 to extremise a function).
Seriously, IB Variational Principles contains about five theorems, and the rest of it is examples :P
Anki is a spaced-repetition program (like Memrise, if you ever used that) - it's designed for optimal rote-learning of small facts. I've used it to rote-learn a proof of the Sylow theorems, for example (by splitting the three theorems up into 51 short linked facts).
I hasten to add that I'm not one of these people that finds Cambridge maths basic in general - I struggle just as much as anyone else :smile: from the look of your preparation, the first year will essentially be entirely stuff you already know (possibly excepting groups)…
Original post by Jkn

Spoiler

Yes, indeed.
Original post by Hasufel
PROBLEM 277

Derive (pardon the pun) a series representation, excluding the constant of integration, for:

xn(In(x))mdx\displaystyle \int x^{n}(In(x))^{m}dx

(Hint: one way is to incorporate derivatives into your answer)

Not at all sure on this one, I had to look up a few properties and what not, which I don't think I can prove but:
As that's apparently ln(x)\ln(x)
Solution 277:

Spoiler

Where m is a positive integer:

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Solution 285

Firstly ddx(xn)=nxn1 \dfrac{d}{dx}(x^n) = nx^{n-1}

Repeating, dadxa(xn)=n!(na)!xna \dfrac{d^a}{dx^a}(x^n) = \dfrac{n!}{(n-a)!}x^{n-a}

Generalise for any real a with gamma function; dadxa(xn)=Γ(n+1)Γ(na+1)xna \dfrac{d^a}{dx^a}(x^n) = \dfrac{\Gamma(n+1)}{\Gamma(n-a+1)}x^{n-a}

Set a=12 a = \frac{1}{2} and we get H(xn)=Γ(n+1)Γ(n+12)xn12 H(x^n) = \dfrac{\Gamma(n+1)}{\Gamma(n+ \frac{1}{2})}x^{n- \frac{1}{2}}

Repeating HH twice gives;

Unparseable latex formula:

H^2(x^n) = H(\dfrac{\Gamma(n+1)}{\Gamma(n+ \frac{1}{2})}x^{n- \frac{1}{2}}) [br][br]\ \\[br][br]= \dfrac{\Gamma(n+1)}{\Gamma(n+ \frac{1}{2})} H(x^{n-\frac{1}{2}})[br][br]\ \\[br][br]= \dfrac{\Gamma(n+1)}{\Gamma(n+ \frac{1}{2})}\dfrac{\Gamma(n+ \frac{1}{2})}{\Gamma(n)}x^{n-1}[br][br]

=nxn1=nx^{n-1}

And so we find H2(xn)=D(xn) H^2(x^n) = D(x^n)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1977
Problem 287 */***

Prove that 2(ab+bc+ca)4=a4(bc)4+b4(ca)4+c4(ab)4\displaystyle 2(ab+bc+ca)^4=a^4(b-c)^4+b^4(c-a)^4+c^4(a-b)^4 when a+b+c=0a+b+c=0.

Another problem that came from an interesting place and has a rather insane generalisation. As usual, the tall tale will follow a correct proof! :biggrin:
Euler-Lagrange is the differential equation which you use to extremise a functional (in the same way as you use the differential equation dfdx=0\dfrac{df}{dx} = 0 to extremise a function).
Seriously, IB Variational Principles contains about five theorems, and the rest of it is examples :P
Anki is a spaced-repetition program (like Memrise, if you ever used that) - it's designed for optimal rote-learning of small facts. I've used it to rote-learn a proof of the Sylow theorems, for example (by splitting the three theorems up into 51 short linked facts).
I hasten to add that I'm not one of these people that finds Cambridge maths basic in general - I struggle just as much as anyone else :smile: from the look of your preparation, the first year will essentially be entirely stuff you already know (possibly excepting groups)…

Sounds a bit brutal, I may take a peak later in the summer.

Oh right, yeah I've used similar things before. They tended to help with boring slogs (spanish vocal, stats definitions, physics definitions, etc..), I used several iPhone apps. :tongue:

Hmm, I doubt that! I still have {groups}, matrices, a lot of vector stuff, applications of s. relativity to solving problems, all of probability, etc.. from 1A that I haven't really scratched the surface on! :redface: My fear is that this would mean I have to spend my whole first year focusing on the areas of maths I disliked so much that I didn't touch on it over the summer! :frown: ..like I doubt I will have much fun with integration over the next year or two! :lol:
Original post by joostan
I=(1n+1)m+1Γ(m+1,t)I = -\left(\dfrac{-1}{n+1} \right)^{m+1}\Gamma (m+1,t)

Nice stuff man.

Ah, that's what I got! :smile:
I=k=0m((1)km!ln(x)mkxn+1(mk)!(n+1)k+1)I = \displaystyle\sum_{k=0}^m \left( \dfrac{(-1)^k m!\ln(x)^{m-k}x^{n+1}}{(m-k)!(n+1)^{k+1}} \right)

Looks similar to the series I derived using IBP => recurrence relation (functional equation) => solve. Probably the same but my notebooks/ridiculous piles of paper are not beside me atm! :lol:
Original post by Jkn

Nice stuff man.

Ah, that's what I got! :smile:

Looks similar to the series I derived using IBP => recurrence relation (functional equation) => solve. Probably the same but my notebooks/ridiculous piles of paper are not beside me atm! :lol:

Cheers :smile:
Yeah I did it by IBP at first (hence deriving them is a positive integer series) but then I realised it was for all values, so along came the gamma :cool:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1979
Original post by FireGarden
Generalise for any real a with gamma function; dadxa(xn)=Γ(n+1)Γ(na+1)xna \dfrac{d^a}{dx^a}(x^n) = \dfrac{\Gamma(n+1)}{\Gamma(n-a+1)}x^{n-a}

Nice stuff, welcome back! :biggrin:

BUT you are only half-done (I am trying to force people to provide elementary solutions, sorry! :colone:) as the following issues arise: if the gamma function is the solution to the 'smooth curve passion though the factorials' problem, then why can it be applied here also? I there any guarantee that the fractional derivate (something fixed) is going to se the same function that was only created to pass through the certain integer points? (why must the fractional derivative be smooth anyway?) Also, the gamma function is not the only such function that passes through these points (as I recently found out!) etc.. (you get the idea).

Anyway, I conclude that it is non-obvious (so we require a proper mathematical derivation). Enjoy :wink:

Edit: Oh and the form given for the half derivative can be simplified by using Gamma function properties (which you may use without proof as the property has been derive before on this thread). :smile:
Original post by joostan
Cheers :smile:
Yeah I did it by IBP at first (hence deriving them is a positive integer series) but then I realised it was for all values, so along came the gamma :cool:

It seemed odd that it could be stated in such a simple form, especially when he asked for a series solution ;0
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest