The Student Room Group

I'm borderline overweight according to new BMI measure

I'm 4 ft 10 and weigh 50 kilos and apparently that makes me fat :frown:

I'm less than 8 stone and wear a size 10, it's ridiculous. It's really getting me down but having large thighs and a pot belly is part of my constitution really. I've always been like that.

It's unfair that just because I'm small I'm fat. I don't eat much, I even skip meals. What's wrong with me? I want to be taller but that's not going to happen.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9816596/Interactive-calculator-do-you-win-or-lose-with-the-new-BMI.html

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump.
Don't focus on BMI so much - it isn't a completely accurate way of measuring.
Original post by katehlouise
Don't focus on BMI so much - it isn't a completely accurate way of measuring.

This.

Though I must say that with being short, you really don't need the calories people say you do. At my height, I only really need about 1300-1400 calories, not 2000.
Reply 4
According to BMI I am underweight... I just have a slimmer build and I'm quite tall but it doesn't make me underweight. The BMI is just an average, it doesn't take into account frame size or genes etc. Ignore it.
Reply 5
Original post by desdemonata
This.

Though I must say that with being short, you really don't need the calories people say you do. At my height, I only really need about 1300-1400 calories, not 2000.

Often I find it hard to eat only 1300 calories.

May sound silly but I find it unfair that I can't eat as much as normal people can because of my stature.

oh well.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I don't eat much, I even skip meals. What's wrong with me?

This might be part of the issue, skipping meals causes you to gain weight as for starters you can unconsciously compensate for the skipped meals. Also your metabolism starts to change thinking it needs to save and store calories rather than burn them off in case you decide you starve your body again and it'll continue to 'store' the food rather than burn them off.

If you want to loose weight it's better to have 5 small meals a day as you learn to control your appetite and it also helps to increase your metabolic rate and therefore your body adjusts to burning food/ calories quicker :smile:

May sound silly but I find it unfair that I can't eat as much as normal people can because of my stature.

oh well.

What is your diet like, normally? And yeah, it's hard, especially when you always get such big portions of things. The easiest way is to cut down on portion size, rather than skip meals if you're going to eat a lot more later to make up for it :smile:
Reply 8
My BMI has reduced under the new calculations.
Reply 9

I'm less than 8 stone and wear a size 10, it's ridiculous. It's really getting me down but having large thighs and a pot belly is part of my constitution really. I've always been like that.

It's unfair that just because I'm small I'm fat. I don't eat much, I even skip meals. What's wrong with me? I want to be taller but that's not going to happen.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9816596/Interactive-calculator-do-you-win-or-lose-with-the-new-BMI.html

Skipping meals will only make things worse, hit a healthy diet and make sure it is balanced and start exercising and you will lose your pot belly pretty quickly. At the end of the day as a smaller person you will need less calories.
A size 10 on someone your height doesn't really mean you are thin.
Reply 10
Original post by redferry
Skipping meals will only make things worse, hit a healthy diet and make sure it is balanced and start exercising and you will lose your pot belly pretty quickly. At the end of the day as a smaller person you will need less calories.
A size 10 on someone your height doesn't really mean you are thin.

I do try to fit in five portions of fruit and veg a day but I have never managed more than 3. I have a pallate that gives preference to pasta, bread, rice, etc. I find many fruits hard to stomach, I can't even eat an apple though I'd happily drink fruit juice. In fact fruit wise I only ever eat bananas.

I'm weird.
Reply 11
I do try to fit in five portions of fruit and veg a day but I have never managed more than 3. I have a pallate that gives preference to pasta, bread, rice, etc. I find many fruits hard to stomach, I can't even eat an apple though I'd happily drink fruit juice. In fact fruit wise I only ever eat bananas.

I'm weird.

what about vegetables? If you are worried about your weight you should probably be eating more protein and veggies and less carbs, as annoying as that is.

I think most people have a taste for carbs, I for one have a huge potato addiction. Try just cutting down your portion sizes and filling up with less calorific stuff. Stop snacking (if you do) also.
Reply 12
Original post by redferry
what about vegetables? If you are worried about your weight you should probably be eating more protein and veggies and less carbs, as annoying as that is.

I think most people have a taste for carbs, I for one have a huge potato addiction. Try just cutting down your portion sizes and filling up with less calorific stuff. Stop snacking (if you do) also.

I can eat greens though I don't particularly like them. I only eat them in small portions, as a garnish to complement chicken or something. But I do try.

My only really bad habit is Nutella but I don't buy that anymore.

I wonder why people are predisposed to have a preference for carbs and sweets when the evidence suggests they are bad for you? Strange.
I'm overweight according to the new BMI system. I'm a size 12 and am in no way fat.

oh well.

I plugged your stats into a BMR calculator, that lets you know what you should be eating.

Your BMR is 1,314 calories. You then need to multiply it, depending on your amount of exercise.

Little/no exercise: BMR * 1.2 = 1577
Light exercise: BMR * 1.375 = 1807
Moderate exercise (3-5 days/wk): BMR * 1.55 = 2037
Very active (6-7 days/wk): BMR * 1.725 = 2267
Extra active (very active & physical job): BMR * 1.9 = 2497

So unless you're physically active, you're looking at a max of 1600ish calories a day. Any more, and you will gain fat.

I also find it annoying, I'm at a max of 1800-1900. On the plus side, cheaper, you don't need to buy as much food.. But yeah, hardly a bonus when others are stuffing themselves with cake!

If you're happy with how you are, don't worry. Being borderline overweight isn't the end of the world.
I can eat greens though I don't particularly like them. I only eat them in small portions, as a garnish to complement chicken or something. But I do try.

My only really bad habit is Nutella but I don't buy that anymore.

I wonder why people are predisposed to have a preference for carbs and sweets when the evidence suggests they are bad for you? Strange.

I used to be so confused by this! I know the answer now.

In the past, such things were a rarity. They gave basically instant energy - brilliant things. Very good for you, when you were fighting for survival.

Nowadays, we have a lot of food about. We don't eat sweet things on the rare occasion that we grab honey. No... We have it there, everyday. We start overeating... and that's when it becomes unhealthy!
Reply 16
Original post by lightburns
I plugged your stats into a BMR calculator, that lets you know what you should be eating.

Your BMR is 1,314 calories. You then need to multiply it, depending on your amount of exercise.

Little/no exercise: BMR * 1.2 = 1577
Light exercise: BMR * 1.375 = 1807
Moderate exercise (3-5 days/wk): BMR * 1.55 = 2037
Very active (6-7 days/wk): BMR * 1.725 = 2267
Extra active (very active & physical job): BMR * 1.9 = 2497

So unless you're physically active, you're looking at a max of 1600ish calories a day. Any more, and you will gain fat.

I also find it annoying, I'm at a max of 1800-1900. On the plus side, cheaper, you don't need to buy as much food.. But yeah, hardly a bonus when others are stuffing themselves with cake!

If you're happy with how you are, don't worry. Being borderline overweight isn't the end of the world.

wait, so should I be eating 1,314 calories or 1600 calories? I don't do any exercise.
Reply 17

In the past, such things were a rarity. They gave basically instant energy - brilliant things. Very good for you, when you were fighting for survival.

Nowadays, we have a lot of food about. We don't eat sweet things on the rare occasion that we grab honey. No... We have it there, everyday. We start overeating... and that's when it becomes unhealthy!

I'm not really happy with the way I am but it seems I have to make a huge effort just to stay on the slim side. So I'd rather eat what I want, within limits.
Reply 18

Interesting, I read this somewhere but it didn't seem to make sense. Nomads didn't have things like the potato, pasta, rice and chocolate. I can't imagine where they got the sugar from.

I just saw this today. I am 5ft and 8 stone 7 and my BMI on the new measure is 25 and says 'overweight'. People often describe me as 'tiny'. I think the new measure is ridiculous, as the old BMI already seemed to compensate for height e.g at 5ft I'd be overweight if I was 9 stone 7 but if I was 5ft 4 my BMI would be like 22... so on the old system there's already about a point off for every inch of height at the same weight, and lets face it an inch of height difference is barely noticeable.

Plus neither the old or the new measure takes into fact body shape, like I have G gups and a tiny waist and large hips which is supposed to be a healthier fat distribution then if it was on my mid section. I don't even understand on what science the new BMI is based on that short people are actually bulkier at certain weights then once believed???

I think I probably have quite high bone density for my height as when I dieted down to 7 stone 10 once, my periods stopped suggesting I wasn't healthy and they returned once I went up to 8 stone.

I think at 4ft 10 you are a perfect weight. Screw these sizist oxford man! Everyone is different - one size fits all is not right for many.

Quick Reply

Latest