The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8060
Original post by sophiegeorge11
Any computer science students, do you think a laptop is a necessity or can you get by using the unis computers?

Its not needed but it is nice to be able to work in the tutorial rooms sometimes (or anywhere else you wish!). The labs can be a very noisy place near submission times. This year's first years were particularly bad.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Are there any modern languages students that could help me out? I have applied to study French and Spanish this September but I am a bit confused about the triple honours language degree and how it works! I really really want to pick up Russian from scratch , so I was wondering if this is possible? :smile: Will I be able to do a triple honours in these three languages as studying three languages to degree level is what I am desperate to do! :smile: thank you! Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bethpillsbury
Are there any modern languages students that could help me out? I have applied to study French and Spanish this September but I am a bit confused about the triple honours language degree and how it works! I really really want to pick up Russian from scratch , so I was wondering if this is possible? :smile: Will I be able to do a triple honours in these three languages as studying three languages to degree level is what I am desperate to do! :smile: thank you! Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't study languages but yep, you should be able to pick up Russian and then change your degree to do the triple honours if you wish :smile:
Thank you! So does that all get sorted out after the first year? Like deciding whether you are doing triple honours or not. :smile: xxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you! So does that all get sorted out after the first year? Like deciding whether you are doing triple honours or not. :smile: xxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well you don't enter honours until 3rd year. I'm not sure triple honours is possible as a) it would be difficult to fit in all the credits and b) your year abroad would have to be diluted into three parts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm about to go into my second year studying History and German and I know a few people doing triple honours so I might be able to help out.

Triple honours with French, Spanish and Russian is possible according to the list of degrees offered by the university (http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/publications/coursecatalogue/undergraduate/2012-2013/Degree%20List%20current%2012-13-2.pdf and http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/admissions/prospectus/2014-2015/Modern%20Languages%20-%202014%20Entry.pdf).

If your offer isn't for triple honours, but you take three languages in the first year anyway then it is possible to change your degree. As far as I remember there is a special meeting early on in the first semester for all first years taking three languages to sort this out.

With regards to the concerns above about the year abroad, it is recommended that you spend your year abroad in one country (generally the country where the language you are weakest at is spoken). Many students, however, often spend the two summers either side of their year abroad in one of the other countries.
(edited 10 years ago)
Thank you SO much! I understand three languages is hard but the triple honours in these three languages is really important to me! :smile: I really appreciate it! Xxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8067
How is the weather?
Original post by OWN4G3
How is the weather?

Wonderfully wet. No, but seriously if you're looking for a university with sunshine every day, this is not the one for you. If you are looking for a variety of weather types, it's perfect.
Reply 8069
I was wondering If I start to study Psychology and Management,how many other modules can I take also ? A graphic design and language lessons would be wonderful two additions for me specially for the first two years :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Charlaux
I was wondering If I start to study Psychology and Management,how many other modules can I take also ? A graphic design and language lessons would be wonderful two additions for me specially for the first two years :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

1 extra module in each of your first 2 semesters (so 1 subject or a different subject in each semester). Then in 2nd year you'll only have 20 credits to spare. Don't think there are any graphic design modules?
Reply 8071
Original post by Charlotte-xoxo
Wonderfully wet. No, but seriously if you're looking for a university with sunshine every day, this is not the one for you. If you are looking for a variety of weather types, it's perfect.

I like rain. :wink:
Original post by OWN4G3
I like rain. :wink:

Me too! You'd fit in perfectly.
Reply 8073
Me too! You'd fit in perfectly.

:biggrin:
Original post by OWN4G3
:biggrin:

Embrace the cheese fest! :colone:
Could anyone tell me from experience or any prospective students included, what the clothing essentials are for st Andrews? Obviously warm attire but anything in particular that you wished you had taken or are planning to, e,g wellies. thanks :smile:
Original post by ohmygosh
Could anyone tell me from experience or any prospective students included, what the clothing essentials are for st Andrews? Obviously warm attire but anything in particular that you wished you had taken or are planning to, e,g wellies. thanks :smile:

I took wellies in my first year and didn't use them once. I would recommend a good, warm waterproof coat and gloves! It can get pretty cold at times and gloves are really my best friend!
I took wellies in my first year and didn't use them once. I would recommend a good, warm waterproof coat and gloves! It can get pretty cold at times and gloves are really my best friend!

okay thank you for the advice, I just seem to be worrying that there is so much I need, I have probably been over thinking it :tongue:
Original post by ohmygosh
okay thank you for the advice, I just seem to be worrying that there is so much I need, I have probably been over thinking it :tongue:

Welly ball though?
Original post by Calllu-m
Welly ball though?

True. I didn't go in first year though, so I remain undefeated.

Latest

Trending

Trending