The Student Room Group

Law or sociology a level

As the title says im having problems choosing an a level. My other options are biology physics and psychology. For now I am hoping to persue a career in either psychology or nursing hopefully at oxbridge or something.
I thought law is seen as less soft as sociology but sociology is more related what should I do. Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Id do sociology
Original post by Aneesah_May
As the title says im having problems choosing an a level. My other options are biology physics and psychology. For now I am hoping to persue a career in either psychology or nursing hopefully at oxbridge or something.
I thought law is seen as less soft as sociology but sociology is more related what should I do. Thank you.

Id do sociology as its more related to what you want to do.
I also did sociology at a-level, and id definitely recommend it. I found i really enjoyed it, and i also got my highest grade in sociology.

Sociology relates to your other choices more, but remember you'll be studying the subject for at least a year. So maybe some light research about would help you to figure which one you would find most interesting? If you know what exam board they'll be with you could go on their website, look up the subject and check through the specification and google from there :smile:.

Most are interesting and worthwhile subjects.
Reply 4
Original post by .:Twilight:.
Sociology relates to your other choices more, but remember you'll be studying the subject for at least a year. So maybe some light research about would help you to figure which one you would find most interesting? If you know what exam board they'll be with you could go on their website, look up the subject and check through the specification and google from there :smile:.

Most are interesting and worthwhile subjects.

Ive already looked into both subjects and I am really interested in both which makes it harder to pick. Which do you think prestigious unis prefer.
Reply 5

Hi,

They do nursing degrees at Oxbridge?

As a teacher of sociology and psychology i suggest that you pick sociology over law. I'm not going to get into these pointless conversations about 'soft' A levels. Every Russell Group Univerity has a sociology or psychology (usually both) department and if your grades are good, your reference is good and you can give them what they want at interview then you can secure a place in any one of them. Law, in my opinion, gives you an instrumentalist view of the world - that is it can be changed by individuals, this - again in my opinion is a fallacy, I would argue that Law does not teach you critical thinking skills. Also picking sociology and psychology will cut down on your revision as research methods is practically the same in both of them in terms of making evaluative points in the exam.

However, check with the univeristies that they will accept a combination that includes sociology and psychology as some will say there is too much overlap - both being social sciences an' all.
Best wishes

Risteard
Reply 6
Original post by risteard
Hi,

They do nursing degrees at Oxbridge?

As a teacher of sociology and psychology i suggest that you pick sociology over law. I'm not going to get into these pointless conversations about 'soft' A levels. Every Russell Group Univerity has a sociology or psychology (usually both) department and if your grades are good, your reference is good and you can give them what they want at interview then you can secure a place in any one of them. Law, in my opinion, gives you an instrumentalist view of the world - that is it can be changed by individuals, this - again in my opinion is a fallacy, I would argue that Law does not teach you critical thinking skills. Also picking sociology and psychology will cut down on your revision as research methods is practically the same in both of them in terms of making evaluative points in the exam.

However, check with the univeristies that they will accept a combination that includes sociology and psychology as some will say there is too much overlap - both being social sciences an' all.
Best wishes

Risteard

Thank you. No they dont do nursing in oxbridge or most if not all russel unis. I dont agree about soft subjects etc but unis have this view which I can change.
Reply 7
Thank you. No they dont do nursing in oxbridge or most if not all russel unis. I dont agree about soft subjects etc but unis have this view which I can change.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The thing is they dont have a perception of soft A levels, this is a fallacy perpetuated on this board by 17 year olds who dont understand how universities work. Only Cambridge and LSE have these lists. The unthinking amongst the commentators here put 2 and 2 togethet and come up with 127. I have sent students to Russell group universities with A levels in things like film and communication studies which are probably on the C list for these two universities. .....
Reply 8
Posted from TSR Mobile

The thing is they dont have a perception of soft A levels, this is a fallacy perpetuated on this board by 17 year olds who dont understand how universities work. Only Cambridge and LSE have these lists. The unthinking amongst the commentators here put 2 and 2 togethet and come up with 127. I have sent students to Russell group universities with A levels in things like film and communication studies which are probably on the C list for these two universities. .....

Wow thank you. So biology physics psychology and sociology would be good choices and will still potentially let me go to cambridge. Do a lot of students get good grades in sociology would you say it would be a good idea to revise sociology and psychology for my summer holidays.
Reply 9
Wow thank you. So biology physics psychology and sociology would be good choices and will still potentially let me go to cambridge. Do a lot of students get good grades in sociology would you say it would be a good idea to revise sociology and psychology for my summer holidays.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Students get out what they put in. If they never do any reading, don't do any homework, leave revision until the last minute then they do badly. See if you can find out what exam board you will be following and get the textbooks, gently read (not revise) through these - you are on holiday! -and you will be in a good place for September.

Oxbridge are straight A universities.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Finally, someone with sense.
Reply 11

I hope to pursue a career in psychology also so I picked law, sociology and psychology. If your picking between them two I would pick sociology it's more linked in with psychology. Law is a whole different topic but its interesting to do also but wouldn't do you justice. Hope this helps:-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by cevansxx
I hope to pursue a career in psychology also so I picked law, sociology and psychology. If your picking between them two I would pick sociology it's more linked in with psychology. Law is a whole different topic but its interesting to do also but wouldn't do you justice. Hope this helps:-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whats your fourth a level choice.
Reply 13
Whats your fourth a level choice.

Government and politics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Anyone else with an opinion. Is AS sociology interesting in first year
Reply 15
Anyone else with an opinion. Is AS sociology interesting in first year

It is in my class, come join us.
Reply 16
It is in my class, come join us.

Lol. I dunno what why I wrote that. :smile:
Which exam boards for each? OCR Law is such a good, interesting specification but AQA not so much and sociology AQA is arguably the easiest and simplest. Took both subjects, loved them both although sociology becomes a bit of a drag by the end of A2 year.
Reply 18
Original post by und3niable_
Which exam boards for each? OCR Law is such a good, interesting specification but AQA not so much and sociology AQA is arguably the easiest and simplest. Took both subjects, loved them both although sociology becomes a bit of a drag by the end of A2 year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ocr is the easiest sociology exam board. Cambridge international is the hardest.
Reply 19
Original post by und3niable_

I dont know what exam board they are and I think the staff are on holidays so mat not be able to ask them. Whats grades did you get for both if you dont mind ke asking for AS and possibly a2

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending