The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 960
Original post by parasagarwal01
it seems that people dont want to do physics? i have chosen BIOLOGY, CHEMISTRY, PHYSICS AND MATHS(6 UNITS).
However i am not too sure about physics. Maybe you guys can advise me what i can do instead of physics. I want to study medicine.

You could do nearly ANY other subject instead of physics because you already have the 3 sciences (chemistry and biology being the most wanted ones). I would recommend doing a 'hard' subject e.g. Language/humanity to make your application more competitive :smile:

Good luck

P.s. I also want to study medicine and am doing chemistry, biology, maths and german next year (and an EPQ)

Posted from TSR Mobile
thank you all for your opinions :smile:
Reply 962
Out of interest, how many of you plan on maintaining a part-time job on top of your studies?
Reply 963
Original post by CD223
Out of interest, how many of you plan on maintaining a part-time job on top of your studies?

I am - I started working after January modules, and plan on keeping it through sixth form as I only work four hours a week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 964
Posted from TSR Mobile
how did you find a job ? i've been trying to find one .
Reply 965
Original post by Sandra1
Posted from TSR Mobile
how did you find a job ? i've been trying to find one .

There was a sign up in the window (I work in a bakery/café), so I printed off an application form and gave it in. I had an interview and a few weeks later they offered me the job :smile: Before I got this job though, I applied for one on gumtree.com - although I didn't get it, it's another way of applying for a job, so maybe look on there, and also in your local paper :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 966
Original post by Jatz07
Biology, Chemistry, Maths, History
We're doing 3 of the same A-levels.
:yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep:

I'm doing History as my 4th :biggrin:
Jatz

I'm doing the exact same subjects as you :eek:
Reply 967
Original post by Kat187

I am yet to find someone with the exact same subjects as me :frown: Spanish, French, English language and history anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kat187

:eek: Me too! Exactly the same! :biggrin:
Original post by blackstah
:eek: Me too! Exactly the same! :biggrin:

Im doing those but doing French and Eng lit aswell :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GGKeams
The iron lung one was weird- when you had to say pros and cons of the positive and negative pressure... I was stumped!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, lol, I put the same thing for an advantage and disadvantage but only realised afterwards

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 971
English Lit, Philosophy, Maths, Further Maths, Geography anyone :c?
Is it worth doing English Lit? What does it involve? And would there be a lot of coursework? I'm more comfortable with exams than coursework and I'm going to be taking Math, Physics and French. I'm just not sure whether I should drop English Lit for Chem.. Any ideas?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 973
Original post by ChronicBoredom
Is it worth doing English Lit? What does it involve? And would there be a lot of coursework? I'm more comfortable with exams than coursework and I'm going to be taking Math, Physics and French. I'm just not sure whether I should drop English Lit for Chem.. Any ideas?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the biggest factors are if you enjoy literature and any career aspirations. What are you thinking of career wise? There is a coursework for English but I've been told its not that bad

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tibbz2
I don't already have the grades, but I'm pretty confident I already have what I need for my subjects... I think even if I lost 3/4 of the marks in the final exams for them I would still get into the courses so nothing to worry about for me really :smile:

Good good :smile:
Original post by andersson
Same for me for maths and further maths :smile:

:five: Cool, I could never imagine myself doing further maths, I'm already worried about the Maths A level! :redface:
Original post by parasagarwal01
it seems that people dont want to do physics? i have chosen BIOLOGY, CHEMISTRY, PHYSICS AND MATHS(6 UNITS).
However i am not too sure about physics. Maybe you guys can advise me what i can do instead of physics. I want to study medicine.

I was considering Physics instead of English Lit in case it would make me more desirable for Medicine (I kinda want to be more of a Uni lecturer now). I did some research and it seems that all three sciences are not necessary, just Chemistry and preferably Biology. I though an essay based subject, especially one that I enjoy more than Physics, would throw some versatility into the mixture. :smile: But still, Physics goes very nicely with the your other choices. If you do change, I would recommend something essay based, but one you enjoy!
Original post by Jatz07
Biology, Chemistry, Maths, History
We're doing 3 of the same A-levels.
:yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep:

I'm doing History as my 4th :biggrin:
Jatz

:ahee: :five: Cool! :biggrin:
Original post by CD223

I've just got one, and yeah planning to carry on doing it through A-levels. Its four hours on a weekend, so its not too intrusive :smile:
Hey peeps. I was just wondering about how people say that choosing bio, chem, and maths with a language/humanity would economics count as one of these subjects and would taking economics as make me more competitive ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 976
Original post by pinkgorilla
Hey peeps. I was just wondering about how people say that choosing bio, chem, and maths with a language/humanity would economics count as one of these subjects and would taking economics as make me more competitive ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends on what you want to do and apply for at Uni... What are you thinking of doing?

Generally it is one of the more respected A Levels though, if that's what you're wondering!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 977
I'm nervous for my maths grade, hopefully I'LL PASS WITH FLYING COLOURS.

HEHE. or not.. :frown: BUT I'M THINKING POSITIVE! :smile:

So how's everyone else coping?
Reply 978
Original post by JustaDreamer
Good good :smile:

:five: Cool, I could never imagine myself doing further maths, I'm already worried about the Maths A level! :redface:

I was considering Physics instead of English Lit in case it would make me more desirable for Medicine (I kinda want to be more of a Uni lecturer now). I did some research and it seems that all three sciences are not necessary, just Chemistry and preferably Biology. I though an essay based subject, especially one that I enjoy more than Physics, would throw some versatility into the mixture. :smile: But still, Physics goes very nicely with the your other choices. If you do change, I would recommend something essay based, but one you enjoy!

:ahee: :five: Cool! :biggrin:

I've just got one, and yeah planning to carry on doing it through A-levels. Its four hours on a weekend, so its not too intrusive :smile:

Did you not get one on the weekday after college?
Apparently, the grades for core subjects will be lower but optional subject will be higher than last years :frown:

Latest