The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

Forensic computing anyone?

Anyone out there doing forensic computing, just got my unconditional offer and want to see who else will be joining me in the fun :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hey Shaunnagha - I'm not doing Forensic Computing but will be doing Computer Networks - so should be based in the same place as you. Did you go to any of the applicant days?
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
I did but a while ago lol, getting nervous now about starting gonna be so weird
I'm going to be moving into my 3rd year at BCU in September. It's one of those courses where you'll learn a hell of a lot of interesting stuff, but it takes a while to get your head around it all. There's also a lot of Networking involved within the course.
Reply 4
That's fine with me its one of the subjects I like, just as long as they don't expect me to create a animation again, im fine lol
No, I haven't been asked to do any animations anyway. From what I've found, the 1st year is quite practical, 2nd year is a bit more theory based but it can get very hard at times - especially the law and networking modules.
Reply 6
still looking forward to it, after 4 years of trying to get into university, its a brilliant time to finally get in yay
Cool, good luck :smile: Just as a heads up there is a lot of Maths involved so if you don't have one, you'd need a Scientific Calculator
When you say a lot of maths, are we talking lots of formulas and things to figure out or is it more pick out the right numbers and the calculator does most of the work... If you get what I mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shaunnagha
still looking forward to it, after 4 years of trying to get into university, its a brilliant time to finally get in yay

Are you going as a mature student Shaunnagh?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
i have 3 calculaters so im good for that, and i quite like maths so going to enjoy that. And im not quite a mature student, im 20 so im older but not quite old enough to act like an adult lol
Original post by Starla_Skies
When you say a lot of maths, are we talking lots of formulas and things to figure out or is it more pick out the right numbers and the calculator does most of the work... If you get what I mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile

In my first year, the Maths module was very similar to what you'd find at AS level - so it would be things like Trigonometry (Working out angles using calculators.) There's also Algebra, simultaneous equations and other Statistics such as Probability. The majority of Maths you'd find in other modules (especially Networking and Forensics) is converting numbers between Binary, Decimal and Hexadecimal. In the second year, you'll be working out the Modulus of really big numbers which can be tricky but I'm sure you'll be ok
Original post by Chris3792
In my first year, the Maths module was very similar to what you'd find at AS level - so it would be things like Trigonometry (Working out angles using calculators.) There's also Algebra, simultaneous equations and other Statistics such as Probability. The majority of Maths you'd find in other modules (especially Networking and Forensics) is converting numbers between Binary, Decimal and Hexadecimal. In the second year, you'll be working out the Modulus of really big numbers which can be tricky but I'm sure you'll be ok

Thanks for that... The only one I can't really remember is simultaneous equations so I'll brush up :yy:
Reply 13
haven't done maths like that in so long, might have to search for my books somewhere. The only things I can remember is hex, binary and matrices, so this could be interesting
It's ok, which universities are you guys going to?
Reply 15
Birmingham city, yay
Cool, you'll be at the Millennium Point campus then. There's some really good stuff in there :smile: Plus the food is good in the café :P
Original post by Shaunnagha
Anyone out there doing forensic computing, just got my unconditional offer and want to see who else will be joining me in the fun :smile:

I am doing that course i am so nervous about not knowing anyone and that, the start date is the 16th of september right :smile: Plus my maths is a little rusty :smile:
Hey insanelyfused! Think the course starts the following cuz 16th is welcome week. Don't worry about not knowing/meeting anyone... I've been struggling to find anyone on my course but I just figure it'll be more of a surprise when I get there.
i suppose so i mean i just want to get my instruction form bcu so i know what's going one now that my place has been confirmed hahaha its the waiting that kills you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest