The Student Room Group

Girls vs boys maths challenge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PhysicsKid
So how could I do that with my expanded form?

Your expanded form is quite right - you just need to factorise it again. Our answers are the same, but yours is a bit longer and a bit less useful when it comes to solving the simultaneous equations we end up with :smile:
The HCF is s, so is that what I factorise by, or do I do polynomial cubic division?
The HCF is s, so is that what I factorise by, or do I do polynomial cubic division?

Factorise out the HCF first - polynomial factorisation (for anything bigger than quadratic) is something of a dark art, but fortunately there's this nice factor of s to pull out :smile: Then you'll have a quadratic, and it's easy to factor a quadratic by finding its roots using the quadratic formula or completing the square or intuition or something.
Original post by Smaug123
Factorise out the HCF first - polynomial factorisation (for anything bigger than quadratic) is something of a dark art, but fortunately there's this nice factor of s to pull out :smile: Then you'll have a quadratic, and it's easy to factor a quadratic by finding its roots using the quadratic formula or completing the square or intuition or something.

I've taken out -s to give:
-s(s^2+bs+cs+bc)
The quad can be written:
s^2+(b+c)s+bc
Which means that the factorisation is:
(s+b)(s+c)
The factorised form is:
-s(s+b)(s+c)
What do you do next?
d/db = -s(s+a)(s+c)
d/dc = -s(s+a)(s+b)
So what do I need to do next?
d/db = -s(s+a)(s+c)
d/dc = -s(s+a)(s+b)
So what do I need to do next?

So that's fb\dfrac{\partial f}{\partial b}, not Fb\dfrac{\partial F}{\partial b}. You really want the latter, because that's the expression that's got the constraint built in.
Then you work out Fk\dfrac{\partial F}{\partial k} for k=a,b and set them to 0 to find a turning point.
So that's fb\dfrac{\partial f}{\partial b}, not Fb\dfrac{\partial F}{\partial b}. You really want the latter, because that's the expression that's got the constraint built in.
Then you work out Fk\dfrac{\partial F}{\partial k} for k=a,b and set them to 0 to find a turning point.

What's the difference between df/db and dF/db?
What's the difference between df/db and dF/db?

I defined F(a,b,c,s,λ)=f(a,b,c,s)+λ×somethingF(a,b,c,s,\lambda) = f(a,b,c,s) + \lambda \times \text{something}, where the something represents the constraint.
So f(a,b,c,s) = s(s-a)(s-b)(s-c), while F(a,b,c,s,λ)=s(sa)(sb)(sc)+λ(sa+b+c2)F(a,b,c,s,\lambda) = s(s-a)(s-b)(s-c) + \lambda (s-\dfrac{a+b+c}{2}).
I defined F(a,b,c,s,λ)=f(a,b,c,s)+λ×somethingF(a,b,c,s,\lambda) = f(a,b,c,s) + \lambda \times \text{something}, where the something represents the constraint.
So f(a,b,c,s) = s(s-a)(s-b)(s-c), while F(a,b,c,s,λ)=s(sa)(sb)(sc)+λ(sa+b+c2)F(a,b,c,s,\lambda) = s(s-a)(s-b)(s-c) + \lambda (s-\dfrac{a+b+c}{2}).

Thanks so much for you help? Are you a teacher, you should be? So when I differentiate lambda(s-(a+b+c)/2) for dF/db, do I get lambda(1/2)?
Thanks so much for you help? Are you a teacher, you should be? So when I differentiate lambda(s-(a+b+c)/2) for dF/db, do I get lambda(1/2)?

Almost, but not quite - you've forgotten the minus sign from s-(that thing).
I'm not a teacher :smile: a humble uni maths student, who would be considerably better at doing this in person rather than over the internet, but such is life…
Almost, but not quite - you've forgotten the minus sign from s-(that thing).I'm not a teacher :smile: a humble uni maths student, who would be considerably better at doing this in person rather than over the internet, but such is life…
So it's lambda (-1/2)? And yeah trying to type and learn latex and stuff is really annoying- I am SO much faster writing on paper or my whiteboard :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
So dF/db = -s(s+a)(s+c)lambda(-1/2)?
Original post by Noble.
Given that xy2\dfrac{x}{y^2} is a minimum you know exactly where the centre of the two circles will be.

should I know this? I'm staying out of this thread :frown:
lol that's actually a good idea (if I still had homework)
Original post by Mr M
434 \sqrt 3

Can I answer any more or am I frozen out of the game?

:lol: You're clearly an expert on the subject! No, you should continue! GOGO!
there are hardly any girls here:rofl:
Reply 236
Original post by Mr M
I think the winner of the previous round should set the next question. This is secondary school level but reasonably difficult. You won't find it anywhere on the internet as I made it up so there is no point Googling. I do have a worked solution.

Question 2

A scalene right-angled triangle with perimeter x cm and area x cm^2 contains a pair of congruent semicircles of radius y cm that do not overlap.

Given that xy2\displaystyle \frac{x}{y^2} is a minimum, find the exact value of y.

Apologies if this has already been answered, but I spent so long at such a late hour trying to get the answer I can't be bothered surfing through the whole thread.

Spoiler

?
So dF/db = -s(s+a)(s+c)lambda(-1/2)?

F(a,b,c,s,λ)=s(sa)(sb)(sc)+λ(sa+b+c2)F(a,b,c,s,\lambda) = s(s-a)(s-b)(s-c) + \lambda (s-\dfrac{a+b+c}{2}), so Fb=s(sa)(sc)λ×12\dfrac{\partial F}{\partial b} = -s(s-a)(s-c) - \lambda \times \dfrac{1}{2}. Do you see why?
The discussions/ arguments on here are making me laugh!

I have a question: Show algebraically the value of the square root of i.
Original post by Technetium
The discussions/ arguments on here are making me laugh!

I have a question: Show algebraically the value of the square root of i.

Oooh oooh pick me!

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest