The Student Room Group

AEA Mathematics 25/06 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by brittanna
Have you looked at the paper yet? If so what did you think of it? I think I did better in STEP I than this, but i'm probably just overreacting.

I've not attempted any questions as I'm on the phone to my fiancé but it definitely isn't an easy paper :confused:

Why are people saying the paper is easy? It seems at least average for AEA for me, probably harder than recently
Original post by jarasta
I may not have done as bad as initially though either, but I still don't think it was an easy paper. I get you, looking at it now it seems easy, I'm really disliking the me from yesterday who took the exam, he is an idiot, I don't know why I even let him do it. Hindsight like you said.

I agree with this, I messed up almost every part of 5, but when I went through checking at the end I just crossed it all out and re-did it at the back of the answer booklet and found it quite easy the second time. If I had time for 6 I could probably have done the same, but I ran out of time so I rushed it. Looking at the paper at home is similar to this as there is time to slowly mull over all the questions and see all the tricks. Really its just question 6 which worries me, I think I got most parts of the other questions right apart from the last 7 marks on the series question and the last 2 marks on the int(uv) question 4. Question 6 was a biggie so this might have killed me, and its likely there are a few silly mistakes here and there.

In case anyone is reading this who will do the AEA next year, my advice would be to take your time whilst doing the paper, 3 hours is more than enough time to finish. I finished in less than 2 hours but I had to redo all of questions 1,5 and 6 and I barely had time to do this properly. If I had took longer the first time through I possibly would have had time to perform well in most of the questions.
Original post by shamika
I've not attempted any questions as I'm on the phone to my fiancé but it definitely isn't an easy paper :confused:

Why are people saying the paper is easy? It seems at least average for AEA for me, probably harder than recently

The questions which are usually very difficult (geometric ones or vectors) didn't come up, but there were other difficult ones to make up for it. What made it seem difficult is that it felt like you were getting the easy questions wrong and that there was probably a horrible question yet to come. When I flicked through at the start I thought the last question looked bad so when I struggled on 4,5,6 I panicked and gave up too quickly, so I had to redo them later.
Reply 243
Original post by Math-Magician
I agree with this, I messed up almost every part of 5, but when I went through checking at the end I just crossed it all out and re-did it at the back of the answer booklet and found it quite easy the second time. If I had time for 6 I could probably have done the same, but I ran out of time so I rushed it. Looking at the paper at home is similar to this as there is time to slowly mull over all the questions and see all the tricks. Really its just question 6 which worries me, I think I got most parts of the other questions right apart from the last 7 marks on the series question and the last 2 marks on the int(uv) question 4. Question 6 was a biggie so this might have killed me, and its likely there are a few silly mistakes here and there.

In case anyone is reading this who will do the AEA next year, my advice would be to take your time whilst doing the paper, 3 hours is more than enough time to finish. I finished in less than 2 hours but I had to redo all of questions 1,5 and 6 and I barely had time to do this properly. If I had took longer the first time through I possibly would have had time to perform well in most of the questions.
so agree with the time thing, the time really doesn't fly and you just realise that you have a ton of time.
Original post by shamika

I'm not sure, but that's reassuring. Thanks. All I know is that it definitely doesn't deserve the 2010 boundaries (81 for a distinction) :tongue:.
Reply 245
I'm not sure, but that's reassuring. Thanks. All I know is that it definitely doesn't deserve the 2010 boundaries (81 for a distinction) :tongue:.

Think if anything the exam is harder than usual... Haven't tried anything though so until I do I can't tell for sure. Definitely not something I can do in my head (which, by now, usually I can).

Spoiler

Original post by msmith2512
Could someone scan the paper as pictures are hard to read and impossible to print on an iPad.

Here you go
Reply 247
Original post by saadmannan
Here you go

thanks,so beating myself up right now. I feel I have scored between 70-75. Hope thats enough:frown:
Here is the mark scheme for this exam if anyone wants it.

Also, here is a link to the mark schemes for all the other edexcel exams sat this May/June: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2412461

Also, here is a link to the mark schemes for all the other edexcel exams sat this May/June: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2412461

Yeah, I failed this big time. :redface:
Reply 250

Can you post the question paper too please? I can't find it...
Reply 251

aaaaaahhhhh okay lets see how I did :s-smilie:
Reply 252
Original post by shamika

here you go
Original post by shamika

Here you go.
Not gonna look at the mark scheme, I don't need reminding how badly it went.
Original post by Appeal to reason
Not gonna look at the mark scheme, I don't need reminding how badly it went.

It couldn't be worse than me really :redface:
Reply 256
Anyone care to share what they gave themselves?
Original post by jarasta
Anyone care to share what they gave themselves?

Between 85-95, depending on S marks and whether I used full working for some Questions
Reply 258
Original post by Hamster96
Between 85-95, depending on S marks and whether I used full working for some Questions

Wow that's amazing well done!!
What's your firm and insurance for what course?
69-72
If I could add I could have got 71-74 :angry:. I will never forgive myself for this if I just miss my firm offer because of it
Without the extra marks, I don't really understand them to determine if I've got em.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 259
Original post by Hamster96

That's very impressive. There's several parts of this paper which I thought were pretty tough - 4 (e) and (f), 6(b) if you do it properly - so if you're in that region I'd be very happy. I do think the paper is tougher than normal, but actually on a read through the first few questions are pretty straightforward, just like most AEA papers so there are opportunities to pick up marks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending