The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Okay, I'm not doing Statistics A Level anymore.. Instead I want to do Spanish AS in Year 12.

But would it be realistic to try and do an A2 in Year 13?
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Okay, I'm not doing Statistics A Level anymore.. Instead I want to do Spanish AS in Year 12.

But would it be realistic to try and do an A2 in Year 13?

It's very realistic provided that you work hard every week and make sure not to get consumed by the work from your other A-Levels.
If you're intelligent enough (which you seem to be) there's nothing stopping you except laziness :tongue:
Original post by BaconEmperor
It's very realistic provided that you work hard every week and make sure not to get consumed by the work from your other A-Levels.
If you're intelligent enough (which you seem to be) there's nothing stopping you except laziness :tongue:

Right, all I need is permission! I'm WJEC I think... Which books did you recommend me again?:colondollar: my thread is so far back
Right, all I need is permission! I'm WJEC I think... Which books did you recommend me again?:colondollar: my thread is so far back

They're the Wjec animo books (The french versions of these are called "élan"). The first one is the actual course book while the second one is a self-study guide that has vocab and tips for the exams themselves.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/%C3%81nimo-Para-AQA-Student-Book/dp/0199129088/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1374684744&sr=8-2&keywords=animo+aqa
(I know it's the AQA one but in my class we tried both for AS and A2 and the AQA one has vocab pages at the end of each chapter and more practice texts than the WJEC version)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/%C3%81nimo-Self-Study-Guide-CD-ROM-Animo/dp/0199153841/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374684754&sr=8-1&keywords=animo+wjec
They're the Wjec animo books (The french versions of these are called "élan"). The first one is the actual course book while the second one is a self-study guide that has vocab and tips for the exams themselves.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/%C3%81nimo-Para-AQA-Student-Book/dp/0199129088/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1374684744&sr=8-2&keywords=animo+aqa
(I know it's the AQA one but in my class we tried both for AS and A2 and the AQA one has vocab pages at the end of each chapter and more practice texts than the WJEC version)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/%C3%81nimo-Self-Study-Guide-CD-ROM-Animo/dp/0199153841/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374684754&sr=8-1&keywords=animo+wjec

1) Shall I buy both?
2) Will it be hard to follow with the AQA book?
3) Shall I wait till September? Because they might say no...
Reply 4505

For verb conjugations and the use of different tenses, I really recommend Practice Makes Perfect - Spanish Verb Tenses by Dorothy Richmond. It's an American textbook, so it might be slightly different (e.g. apparently Americans seem to often replace the present perfect with the preterite, and they don't use vosotros, though this book does teach it), but the differences are minimal and will not impede your learning. Our teacher gives it to us and it is really effective. I mean, my friend who couldn't even conjugate the present tense at the end of Year 11 can now conjugate the conditional with ease, and gets the present subjunctive right 7 out of 10 times. In fact, some of the translation exercises I gave you came from that book. :colondollar: :mmm:
Original post by AquisM
For verb conjugations and the use of different tenses, I really recommend Practice Makes Perfect - Spanish Verb Tenses by Dorothy Richmond. It's an American textbook, so it might be slightly different (e.g. apparently Americans seem to often replace the present perfect with the preterite, and they don't use vosotros, though this book does teach it), but the differences are minimal and will not impede your learning. Our teacher gives it to us and it is really effective. I mean, my friend who couldn't even conjugate the present tense at the end of Year 11 can now conjugate the conditional with ease, and gets the present subjunctive right 7 out of 10 times. In fact, some of the translation exercises I gave you came from that book. :colondollar: :mmm:

The actual conjugations are fine, just knowing when to use them :h:
1) Shall I buy both?
2) Will it be hard to follow with the AQA book?
3) Shall I wait till September? Because they might say no...

1)Definitely buy the first one, the second one is optional as it basically is a summary of the bigger book.
2) Not at all, the content is exactly the same but check anything it says about the exams because they may or may not apply to WJEC (eg. in AQA there's no translation into English at AS but there is for WJEC)
3) My school supplied these books so maybe there's a chance yours will?
1)Definitely buy the first one, the second one is optional as it basically is a summary of the bigger book.
2) Not at all, the content is exactly the same but check anything it says about the exams because they may or may not apply to WJEC (eg. in AQA there's no translation into English at AS but there is for WJEC)
3) My school supplied these books so maybe there's a chance yours will?

1) Okay :biggrin:
2) So how do I practise AS translations?
3) Hmmm... Maybe, but I'll be self teaching if I do it. AS anyway, I might drop Geography AS and then do Spanish A2 with a class.
1) Okay :biggrin:
2) So how do I practise AS translations?
3) Hmmm... Maybe, but I'll be self teaching if I do it. AS anyway, I might drop Geography AS and then do Spanish A2 with a class.

2) The small book has translations I think if you wanted. You can probably find them online on sites like TES or getrevising or just by doing past papers. Getrevising was superb for A2 French :biggrin:
3) If they have spares then there's no reason they wouldn't be happy to them to you. I self-taught GCSE Italian and they bought me a grammar book, course book and even a dictionary :cool:
2) The small book has translations I think if you wanted. You can probably find them online on sites like TES or getrevising or just by doing past papers. Getrevising was superb for A2 French :biggrin:
3) If they have spares then there's no reason they wouldn't be happy to them to you. I self-taught GCSE Italian and they bought me a grammar book, course book and even a dictionary :cool:

You have a nice school :emo:
Excellent!

I know English (Obviously :tongue: ) and I used to be really good at French but lost my touch! I'm looking to really advance on my French again... who knows may even get to do a Year abroad in France when I get to uni.

Then I want to learn some Portuguese in time for Rio 2016 (Want to volunteer there)
Original post by Warner's Box
Excellent!

I know English (Obviously :tongue: ) and I used to be really good at French but lost my touch! I'm looking to really advance on my French again... who knows may even get to do a Year abroad in France when I get to uni.

Then I want to learn some Portuguese in time for Rio 2016 (Want to volunteer there)

Bonjour! Quel-âge as tu?:tongue:

Vas tu a l'université l'année prochaine? Ou... :redface:
Reply 4513
I am very frustrated with DuoLingo right now. How on earth are we supposed to hear La bottiglia ha dell'acqua when the audio is so crap? :angry::angry:
Original post by AquisM
I am very frustrated with DuoLingo right now. How on earth are we supposed to hear La bottiglia ha dell'acqua when the audio is so crap? :angry::angry:

No puedes :wink:

:reel:
I'm going to Germany in a few weeks, I know only a few sentences in German. I have a lot of free time (summer holiday). What should I learn? What do you recommend? I was thinking of buying assimil, teach yourself and a good German dictionary but of course of course that is more of a long term plan...

:-)
Reply 4516
No puedes :wink:

¡Sí, es verdad! Estoy muy decepcionado. De hecho, ¡un hombre se quejó diciendo que ni siquiera su mujer podía oír ha y es italiana!
Original post by AquisM
¡Sí, es verdad! Estoy muy decepcionado. De hecho, ¡un hombre se quejó diciendo que ni siquiera su mujer podía oír ha y es italiana!

Haha, como español, no puedo oigar unas h :frown:

Reply 4518
Haha, como español, no puedo oigar oír unas h :frown:

True, but at least the h doesn't come up as often is it does in Italian since to have in Spanish is tener, not haber, and when haber is used it's always in a set phrase or with a participle, so it's easier to spot. :biggrin:
Original post by AquisM
True, but at least the h doesn't come up as often is it does in Italian since to have in Spanish is tener, not haber, and when haber is used it's always in a set phrase or with a participle, so it's easier to spot. :biggrin:

Es verdad... Pero a veces, no que el passage esta saying...

Latest

Trending

Trending