The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HmMusic
Hi everyone, sorry about not posting for such a long time! I have a good reason, I promise.

And that reason is

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1374654014.824114.jpg

Scott Harry Fletcher was born on Saturday 20th July at 6:38am, weighing 7lb5oz.

I've been in hospital for a very long time, not only the mental health unit over the past 3 weeks but also having to stay in the maternity ward after the birth. Now we are home and I'm feeling very good, even if a little sleepy. It's good to not have a big bumpy baby belly any more, and the most amazing little man to show for all the trouble over the last few weeks.

Birth story (not for faint hearted!):

Spoiler

I really want to thank Tyrion_Lannister and Anonymous#1 for their awesome support over the last few weeks, so if you guys see this I appreciate what you've done for me more than you will ever know.

Spoiler

I'm super broody 24/7 anyway but this post just made me rocket. Wow. Your baby is super cute. Congratulations, I hope the three of you are well!
Aw HmMusic, your baby boy is very cute. :smile:

I'm meant to be volunteering at an animal shelter tomorrow. Really nervous about it. It'll be great getting to pet the cats but the whole other people being there thing is going to be horrible. :yucky:
Reply 4902
Original post by ParadoxSocks

Just jump right in and talk to us. A few know each other outside of TSR but the majority of us met through here. Literally just join in and you'll be one of us in no time at all :biggrin:

Thanks for the offer. I often do but kind of get lost in the chat :/
Reply 4903
:grumble:
Original post by IDukem

What's up?
Original post by zonkfrog
Can I just ask ( I swears it's not supposed to sound rude or anything) but is this kind of a private club? Like everyone seems to know each other and is always like "I'm on skype later" "I sent you stuff in the post" "Did you get my texts" etc. Do you all know each other outside TSR? I was thinking of starting a new group cause I feel you guys all know each other and I feel like I'm imposing or something cause I don't know peoples back story or that I'm reading peoples private chats cause I'm like not part of the group and your discussing home life and stuff. I hope I haven.t offended or anything.

New group for newbies?

Not a private club at all. As has been said, just get stuck in. I'm sorry I haven't replied to many of your posts before. My head's been a bit all over the place (hence why I left, etc) and when I'm in this kinda state I just stick with the people I know really well :colondollar:
Original post by IDukem

What's up? :hugs:
Reply 4907
Today has been hard :sigh:
Reply 4908
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
What's up?

Just a complicated mixture of things and the lovely feeling of deflation and broken, but i've kind of accepted bits and bobs about myself today to be honest.

Original post by tasha96
What's up? :hugs:

Ditto above.

But I haven't seen/spoke to you before so hey! :hugs:

Original post by 08batee

I read your pm and I will reply tomorrow as I came back form the ebahc and i'm shattered (being in the sea does that to me :colondollar:) And thank you for the guidance in the pm! :hugs:

Also I hope you gett better soon! I haven't been feeling well too in the later part of the day...I blame the sea for that too :tongue:
Original post by 08batee

Are you okay hun? :hugs:
Reply 4910
Hi guys, never posted in here before..

Figured joining in the conversation would be easier than starting a new thread!

Anyway, I feel like I'm going a bit down hill again. I was suffering with depression and panic attacks about a year ago. I continued to have panic attacks but not so many, however have been having a few lately. I had a particularly bad panic attack last night. My chest still hurts so much even now, it feels like I have a constant weight on it. I haven't been able to eat since and throughout the day I haven't been able to control my rapid breathing.

Any good relaxation tips? I've gone for a walk on the beach, listened to some music and tried to sleep but nothing has worked so far. I'm in pain and I just feel incredibly on edge at the moment.
Reply 4911
Original post by 08batee

Hug:hugs: Sorry I was a grump the other day.

Did anything make it rubbish or just one of those days?
Reply 4912
Original post by Sp20

Anyway, I feel like I'm going a bit down hill again. I was suffering with depression and panic attacks about a year ago. I continued to have panic attacks but not so many, however have been having a few lately. I had a particularly bad panic attack last night. My chest still hurts so much even now, it feels like I have a constant weight on it. I haven't been able to eat since and throughout the day I haven't been able to control my rapid breathing.

Any good relaxation tips? I've gone for a walk on the beach, listened to some music and tried to sleep but nothing has worked so far. I'm in pain and I just feel incredibly on edge at the moment.

Hi :smile:

I know its not much help but when I ever have panic attacks it just seems to take as long as it likes to go away. Try not to worry about it cause focusing on it will make it worse. I know when I get upset the more I think about it the worse it gets.
Reply 4913
Original post by Sp20

Hey! First and foremost, welcome to the thread! :smile:

I'm really sorry to hear that you feel like you're going down hill, there will be at least someone on this thread that can provide some assistance and help when you need :smile:

As for relaxation tips? Try yoga poses cause they can help control your breathing whilst also doing flexible exercise :smile: That's helped me out a few times so far. Maybe something like lying down with your eyes closed and having a youtube video on waves crashing on in the back ground. Sorry if they're bad advice or they don't work, but I know a few people who has had some success with both :h:
Reply 4914
Original post by IDukem
Hey! First and foremost, welcome to the thread! :smile:

I'm really sorry to hear that you feel like you're going down hill, there will be at least someone on this thread that can provide some assistance and help when you need :smile:

As for relaxation tips? Try yoga poses cause they can help control your breathing whilst also doing flexible exercise :smile: That's helped me out a few times so far. Maybe something like lying down with your eyes closed and having a youtube video on waves crashing on in the back ground. Sorry if they're bad advice or they don't work, but I know a few people who has had some success with both :h:

Thank you :smile: exercise usually helps when I'm feeling stressed, not feeling up to going to the gym at the moment though but will give it a try. Thanks
Reply 4915
Hi :smile:

I know its not much help but when I ever have panic attacks it just seems to take as long as it likes to go away. Try not to worry about it cause focusing on it will make it worse. I know when I get upset the more I think about it the worse it gets.

Yeah this makes sense, I'm trying to distract myself. Thanks for the reply :smile:
Reply 4916
Original post by IDukem
Just a complicated mixture of things and the lovely feeling of deflation and broken, but i've kind of accepted bits and bobs about myself today to be honest.

Ditto above.

But I haven't seen/spoke to you before so hey! :hugs:

I read your pm and I will reply tomorrow as I came back form the ebahc and i'm shattered (being in the sea does that to me :colondollar:) And thank you for the guidance in the pm! :hugs:

Also I hope you gett better soon! I haven't been feeling well too in the later part of the day...I blame the sea for that too :tongue:

No worries, no pressure at all. Sorry to hear that :console: The sea is awesome though :eek: :woo:
Original post by tasha96
Are you okay hun? :hugs:

I'm alright lovely, thanks. :hugs: I'll probably drop you another PM later, just to be super annoying :tongue: Its probably sort of TMI for the thread though :lol:

Original post by Sp20

Welcome! :hi:
Sorry to hear all of that :console: My brain is being a bit rubbish and scrambled at the moment but I'll have a think of some things that might help you :smile:

Hug:hugs: Sorry I was a grump the other day.

Did anything make it rubbish or just one of those days?

No worries hun, you weren't a grump :hugs: Ugh I dunno really. I think it's just a case of hormones and depression not mixing too well really, coupled with not sleeping at all last night. :huff: :tongue: How are you doing? :smile:
Reply 4917
Original post by 08batee

No worries hun, you weren't a grump :hugs: Ugh I dunno really. I think it's just a case of hormones and depression not mixing too well really, coupled with not sleeping at all last night. :huff: :tongue: How are you doing? :smile:

Yeah I get that. Yesterday was pretty horrible for me. Today's been a nothing day. Pretty much sat in the same spot all day. Tv on in front of me and staring at my laptop at the same time. Very unproductive.

I never seem to sleep these days :/
Original post by james1211
Starting to have an anxiety attack, not sure how many more of these I can cope with. Don't really know how to manage it between now and my doctors appointment on Friday. Heart feels like it's about to beat its way out my chest, my hands and eye are twitching, having to try harder than usual to catch my breath. I cannot live in the moment anymore, every waking thought I have is a fear of the world and the future. I'm convinced I'll end up living in a box with no friends. Forget the fact I'm at university I can't even control my own emotions let alone do any real job properly, I know I'm rubbish at everything.

I almost feel bad for posting on here since some people's problems are more important than mine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey. :smile: Don't feel bad about posting on here - we've all got a right to, no matter what the problem, or even if you just want a chat.

Have you ever been on beta blockers? You seem to be talking about the physical symptoms of having panic attacks etc. quite a lot, so do you think that with the physical symptoms gone you might be able to cope better with the mental ones? If you're open to medication then it might be something to discuss with the doctor tomorrow.

Awful day. Spent the last hour (unsuccessfully) choking back tears to the point I couldn't breathe and was in agony. Right now I'm in my old uni library where an ex is going to pick me up to hang out but only if no-one knows we met up and he gets something out of it. I'm so desperate for any kind of human interaction I don't even care.

:hugs: So sorry things are all rubbish for you at the minute. I've been there too, including the going after ****ty friends for company thing. Believe me they're not worth it, as they only make you more miserable in the end.

Original post by Anonymous #2
Been ages since I've popped in here! Doing relatively OK I think, wobbly but steady at the same time. Starting to get nervous about results day and uni but I'll take it as it comes.

I hope you're all doing OK :hugs:

Hey! :hi: Glad to hear you're doing ok, and good luck for your results. :hugs:

Original post by Magdatrix >_<
Ugh, guys. I've been counting hours again, literally to the point of waking up thinking "it's x many hours until I get to go back to bed".

Such a bad habit!

Does anyone else do anything like that?

Yeah, I used to do that all the time. :colondollar: Still do occasionally on a really bad day.

Original post by Sabertooth
Spoke to my psychologist today. He's worried enough about things I told him that he's telling on me to my psychiatrist Wish I hadn't said anything. Especially as he doesn't believe what I said is going to happen will actually happen. There was another Chinese earthquake to confirm I am correct so I don't get why he would doubt me. Still can't talk to my wife about things, I tried a couple of times and she replied "what do you want me to do about it?" I want her to talk to me to distract me from them but she's too busy playing computer games. I mean...I don't want to get in the way of her playing that would be selfish but I would like very much if she just talked to me for a while. I think that's why I told the psychologist, I can't keep these things bottled up but I can't speak to anyone else. I need to talk to someone if only because it helps shut them up while I'm doing so. I also need a way out of what's going to happen. The psychologist didn't think my plan to avoid what they've been saying from happening was very good but I can't think of any other plan. That's something I need to do - I need a plan, everything's better with a plan but annoyingly I can't think of anything.

Any time you want to talk just ask. :smile: It's good that you told your psychologist, and I think he's doing the right thing, even if it doesn't seem that way to you. And maybe you and the psychiatrist can come up with a better plan together? If not just wait till I've got my mice, and they'll put their scheming little heads together and come up with a genius one! :awesome:

Original post by Kindred
Decided to got to uni this year if I get in. Now I only have a bit over a month to get everything ready. :eek: not sure if i'm quite ready for uni if i'm honest but I think it will be better than a gap year all on my own.
I'm worried i'll loose contact with all my current friends though. I don't know how much time i'll have to see them since we're going to different unis. I may only have a few months left of being friends with them. :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done for making a decision - hope it works out good for you. :smile:

Original post by luno
Thank you! I really hope it is a turn for the better but a little break is better than nothing :smile:.

Oh no :hugs:. Since there's nothing you can do other than wait is there anything you can do to relax/ help distract yourself? I had a housing struggle in France... it was almost impossible to find a place to and I felt like such a burden with the family I was staying with while I found my own place so when I finally found somewhere it was such a relief. Hope it gets sorted soon :jumphug:.

Housing crisis seems to have resolved itself (touch wood), mostly thanks to my awesome friend. :smile:

Original post by PonchoKid
I have a weeks worth of meds left and dont know wether to get some more and either fight for a higher dose or see if a random dr will change them OR just sack them off as i cant carry on like this

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whatever you do I'd consult with a doctor first - antidepressants are not something you should just stop taking, you need a proper plan in place for tapering down the dose and stuff. If you want any advice on different antidepressants then between us lot we've probably got just about all of them covered, so if you say what ones you've tried already and what effect they've had maybe we can help. :smile:

Can I just ask ( I swears it's not supposed to sound rude or anything) but is this kind of a private club? Like everyone seems to know each other and is always like "I'm on skype later" "I sent you stuff in the post" "Did you get my texts" etc. Do you all know each other outside TSR? I was thinking of starting a new group cause I feel you guys all know each other and I feel like I'm imposing or something cause I don't know peoples back story or that I'm reading peoples private chats cause I'm like not part of the group and your discussing home life and stuff. I hope I haven.t offended or anything.

New group for newbies?

People have just got to know each other through posting a lot on here for the most part - hope it's not been too intimidating, just when people are in various different mental states it's hard to tell when someone's been accidentally overlooked. For my part I do try and see that not too many people go unanswered, but I do lose my quotes sometimes or get too big a backlog… :work:

Original post by Sabertooth
Aw HmMusic, your baby boy is very cute. :smile:

I'm meant to be volunteering at an animal shelter tomorrow. Really nervous about it. It'll be great getting to pet the cats but the whole other people being there thing is going to be horrible. :yucky:

Just think of the kitties! You'll be great, and I hope you have loads of fun. :hugs:

Original post by IDukem

:grumble: :grumble: Hope you're feeling better! :hugs:

Original post by Sp20

Welcome to the society. :smile:

Things you may or may not have already tried: meditation, self-hypnosis (sounds a bit daft, but was recommended to me by a psychiatrist), herbal tea (camomile is good, and Twinings do some really tasty varieties), breathing exercises, having a bath, :bath: reading a book (I go for ones I've read a million times before, so I don't have to concentrate too hard), listening to the radio/podcasts while playing solitaire, online shopping (you don't have to actually buy anything, but I find it strangely soothing looking at lists and lists of things I don't even want :tongue:), knitting/doing stuff with your hands.

Slightly random list, but maybe something will work for you!
Reply 4919
Original post by superwolf

:hugs: So sorry things are all rubbish for you at the minute. I've been there too, including the going after ****ty friends for company thing. Believe me they're not worth it, as they only make you more miserable in the end.

People have just got to know each other through posting a lot on here for the most part - hope it's not been too intimidating, just when people are in various different mental states it's hard to tell when someone's been accidentally overlooked. For my part I do try and see that not too many people go unanswered, but I do lose my quotes sometimes or get too big a backlog… :work:

Thanks. :smile:

Latest