The Student Room Group

How important is a 4th AS Level?

So if you were to get AAAC at AS level, although predicted A*A*A at A2 (having dropped the subject you got a C in) what's the best bet for getting into Cambridge?

a) resit the C and therefore have to take a gap year?
b) Leave the C alone and just concentrate on getting the prediction mentioned above?

Essentially, how important is the 4th As level to Cambridge if it's not related to your course?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you got AAAC at AS level, and predicted A*A*A at A2 what would your chances be of getting an interview for Cambridge for law? Also the C would be in Maths so fairly irrelevant to law.
Reply 2
Original post by iano101
So if you were to get AAAC at AS level, although predicted A*A*A at A2 (having dropped the subject you got a C in) what's the best bet for getting into Cambridge?

b) Leave the C alone and just concentrate on getting the prediction mentioned above?

Essentially, how important is the 4th As level to Cambridge if it's not related to your course?

Its of marginal importance if its genuinely not related to the course. For humanities courses you are ranked on your best three and even for science courses the fourth is only included if it is maths/science. In the overall holistic assessment a C in English might be a mild disadvantage even for science courses but nobody is going to worry about a C in maths if you are applying for French for example. Definitely dont take a Gap year. Don't worry about predictions either, Cambridge make their own assessment based on your AS UMS achieved.
Reply 3
If it was any other University I would say it would be irrelevant but then as it's Cambridge they may be fussier. You can only try and hope though. If you have enough other good things on your CV hopefully it shouldn't matter.
Reply 4
I think it would depend on your actually UMS, I have a friend who studied their, the offer was A*A*A/c for Physics, they told him that they wanted high UMS for the C, he had 97% (570/600) for the two A*s and 79% (417/600) for the C.

So I presume that it's quite important, especially with Law, since it's an overly subscribed course.

Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Colmans
Its of marginal importance if its genuinely not related to the course. For humanities courses you are ranked on your best three and even for science courses the fourth is only included if it is maths/science. In the overall holistic assessment a C in English might be a mild disadvantage even for science courses but nobody is going to worry about a C in maths if you are applying for French for example. Definitely dont take a Gap year. Don't worry about predictions either, Cambridge make their own assessment based on your AS UMS achieved.

Yeah it would probably be in maths, and i want to apply for law
Original post by iano101
If you got AAAC at AS level, and predicted A*A*A at A2 what would your chances be of getting an interview for Cambridge for law? Also the C would be in Maths so fairly irrelevant to law.

I wouldn't necessarily characterize maths as "irrelevant to law," particularly since you can get into law with a number of different subject combinations. Also, since mathematics is based on applying logic and making inferences, these skills are undoubtedly useful if not necessary for the legal profession.
Reply 7
Original post by McLachlin CJ
I wouldn't necessarily characterize maths as "irrelevant to law," particularly since you can get into law with a number of different subject combinations. Also, since mathematics is based on applying logic and making inferences, these skills are undoubtedly useful if not necessary for the legal profession.

Yeah I'd agree to an extent that maths is relevant in certain aspects, however my question wasnt really about that but more on the 4th as level and how it's looked at if Cambridge gives you a 3 grade offer based on your best 3 subjects? Essentially do they not mind if you have 3 high as scores but maybe one which is not?

EDIT: The neg is childish
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
BUMP- Any other ideas from anyone?
Reply 9
I got AAAB last year, the B was only 2 marks off an A too annoyingly. But I have resat that AS level during my A level exams and have hopefully got it up to a pretty high A. (I am a law applicant and possibly thinking about applying to Cambridge during my forthcoming gap year) My advice would be to resit the AS level if you think you stand a good chance of improving it while having a much harder work load with your A levels. However, if you think there is a chance it may affect your other results don't bother, as they are far more important.
I got in for law with a full A-level C in maths, so I don't think they'd be overly concerned with the grade, although I was doing 4 other A-levels (and had to explain myself at interview!). Generally, though, it's hard to tell and different colleges may have different opinions of it - some might expect that you do well in anything you have the opportunity to study (and thus restrict their 3 A-level offers to people who haven't had the chance to do any more than that); others might think it's fine as long as you do well in your other 3. If it concerns you, try phoning an admissions tutor at your chosen college, but I wouldn't be put off applying in any case.
Maths is not irrelevant to Law, by the way.

But to answer your question: obviously, it's going to put you at a disadvantage as a lot of candidates are probably going to have AAAA, at least, for Law. But if your UMS average of the other three was high/exceptional - in the region of 90-95%+ - you'd still have a chance I'm sure, provided the rest of your application is stellar. You've not really given enough information to receive a fully reasoned answer to be quite frank.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Theflyingbarney
I got in for law with a full A-level C in maths, so I don't think they'd be overly concerned with the grade, although I was doing 4 other A-levels (and had to explain myself at interview!). Generally, though, it's hard to tell and different colleges may have different opinions of it - some might expect that you do well in anything you have the opportunity to study (and thus restrict their 3 A-level offers to people who haven't had the chance to do any more than that); others might think it's fine as long as you do well in your other 3. If it concerns you, try phoning an admissions tutor at your chosen college, but I wouldn't be put off applying in any case.

Which college are you at?
Reply 13
Original post by Unsworth
I got AAAB last year, the B was only 2 marks off an A too annoyingly. But I have resat that AS level during my A level exams and have hopefully got it up to a pretty high A. (I am a law applicant and possibly thinking about applying to Cambridge during my forthcoming gap year) My advice would be to resit the AS level if you think you stand a good chance of improving it while having a much harder work load with your A levels. However, if you think there is a chance it may affect your other results don't bother, as they are far more important.

How did you find the workload? Also did you take the gap year just because you really wanted to get into Cambridge? Or were there other reasons?
Reply 14
Original post by iano101
How did you find the workload? Also did you take the gap year just because you really wanted to get into Cambridge? Or were there other reasons?

It was pretty intense, as I also did an EPQ this year while studying for my A levels, so that added to it along with retaking an AS level. The workload is manageable as long as you stay organised and keep on top of everything, especially around Easter onwards.

No I have got a place on a gap year programme at the law firm Pinsent Masons, so it was just an added bonus really. Had I not been successful when applying for it, I would have just gone to university in September. The whole application to Cambridge while on my gap year is something that very much depends on what my results are like on Thursday, so may not actually happen!
Reply 15
for Cambridge it is very important as they are looking for high standard consistency in all of your subjects.
Original post by iano101
Which college are you at?

Pembroke. But don't necessarily go thinking this sets a precedent - your 4th AS level would only be one of a number of factors they'd consider in your application, same as at any other college. If Pembroke would consider you good enough, so likely would several other colleges, so don't just pick a college based on where you think you're most likely to get in!
Most people are capable and therefore should take a 4th AS level...most top unis expect people to have got either at least a C or sometimes an A in a 4th AS level. It will also give you more freedom to choose which subject to drop if you wish to, to carry on 3 full A levels...

(ha that was my 444th post...)
Original post by iano101

I had exactly this problem - what a coincidence!

I got 'A', 'A', 'A', 'C' at AS (completely baffled by the 'C' as it was in my best subject). Resat the 'C' without revision and got an 'A' (the teachers and I believe the former was mismarked before as it happened to a few people that could afford remarks). Went on to get A*A*A at A2, took a gap year and now I'm off to Cambridge. I strongly recommend resitting the 'C'.
Reply 19
Original post by hogwartian1993
I had exactly this problem - what a coincidence!

I got 'A', 'A', 'A', 'C' at AS (completely baffled by the 'C' as it was in my best subject). Resat the 'C' without revision and got an 'A' (the teachers and I believe the former was mismarked before as it happened to a few people that could afford remarks). Went on to get A*A*A at A2, took a gap year and now I'm off to Cambridge. I strongly recommend resitting the 'C'.

What college are you going to be going to then? Also what did you do in your gap year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending