The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Obiejess
Question: Soooo, what's the preterite?

Posted from TSR Mobile

In Spanish it's like the French Perfect. It has a set of conjugations... Where we'd say:

J'ai mangé we wouldn't use he comido... Instead it'd be comí :smile:
Original post by EmilyJayne14
We hadn't even discussed the preterite in Italian :redface: It was only in French that I found out about it, but we only need receptive knowledge at A-Level- it isn't really known about at GCSE.

The preterite in Italian is like the preterite in French; it's not used in every day conversation, rather in books and newspapers. :smile: Although the Italian preterite is useful when conjugating the Italian imperfect subjunctive, which is used in everyday conversation :wink:

I see everyone's doing well on Duolingo :wink:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
In Spanish it's like the French Perfect. It has a set of conjugations... Where we'd say:

J'ai mangé we wouldn't use he comido... Instead it'd be comí :smile:

Not strictly true. :tongue: It just means that the perfect in Spanish is used for more recent events, either when we'd also use the perfect in English (I've always wanted to live in America/siempre he querido vivir en los Estados Unidos) or when something happened close to the time of speaking (I had breakfast and I drove to the shops before coming here/me he desayunado y he conducido al supermercado antes de venir aquí), although I gather that the last example is okay to use the preterite with too :smile:
Reply 4563
We hadn't even discussed the preterite in Italian :redface: It was only in French that I found out about it, but we only need receptive knowledge at A-Level- it isn't really known about at GCSE.

Ah, I see, but if memory serves, it's not really used in French either, right, having been largely replaced by the passé composé?
Original post by AquisM
Ah, I see, but if memory serves, it's not really used in French either, right, having been largely replaced by the passé composé?

Preterite (passé simple) isn't used in speech at all. It's used in literature basically. It's actually quite an easy tense, there's just no point learning it as it's pretty recognisable (you'd be able to understand the meaning if you saw a passé simple-conjugated verb) and unless you're going to be writing a book the passé composé is all you'd need.
Original post by constantmeowage
Not strictly true. :tongue: It just means that the perfect in Spanish is used for more recent events, either when we'd also use the perfect in English (I've always wanted to live in America/siempre he querido vivir en los Estados Unidos) or when something happened close to the time of speaking (I had breakfast and I drove to the shops before coming here/me he desayunado y he conducido al supermercado antes de venir aquí), although I gather that the last example is okay to use the preterite with too :smile:

Ignore me then :ahee:

Do you have duolingo?
I'm getting along well thanks :smile: I've had it for a while, only recently come back to it, and I've been working on Spanish and Italian. I'm level 8 for both :smile: Just finished 'verbs present 2'.

I don't think I've added you on Duolingo :redface: What's your name?

It's been so long since I've actually learnt the tenses, so I can't remember the exact order, but in both French and Italian we've learnt the present, perfect past, imperfect past, simple future, other future, conditional and subjunctive. I only used some preterite in French because it was on a set phrases list and my teacher said it was very high level, so my response was 'yep, I'm using that then' :tongue:

From what I saw on Wikipedia, I think it's historic past. I used it in French and an example phrase was 'the house where Shakespeare was born' - 'la maison naquit Shakespeare' with 'naquit' being the preterite verb.

I'm 19 sunflower if you want todo add me.

Do you think duolinguo is the best free language learning software?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4567
The preterite in Italian is like the preterite in French; it's not used in every day conversation, rather in books and newspapers. :smile: Although the Italian preterite is useful when conjugating the Italian imperfect subjunctive, which is used in everyday conversation :wink:

Alright, probably why we haven't learnt it then. I don't think it's in the GCSE spec and I therefore I think the teachers avoid even mentioning it for fear of confusing the, er, less capable linguists in the class :wink:

Yeah :tongue: I've moved onto Memrise now, I had a total of 430ish words to review, including 213 Chinese ones :eek:

Original post by AquisM

Yeah, I think so. I don't really know much about it :tongue:

Original post by sunfowers01
I'm 19 sunflower if you want todo add me.

Do you think duolinguo is the best free language learning software?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I added you :smile:

I think Duolingo is pretty good for learning grammar and a little vocab, however I also really like Memrise for vocab!

Personally I'd say the preterite (or remote past) is used more in Italian than in French. Generally the perfect tense is used for recent activities and the remote past is used for those that occurred a bit further in the past. :smile:
The further you go south into Italy the more they use the remote past instead of the perfect tense.
I agree though that you don't need to produce it for GCSE or even A-level but recognition will be necessary :cool:
Original post by BaconEmperor
Personally I'd say the preterite (or remote past) is used more in Italian than in French. Generally the perfect tense is used for recent activities and the remote past is used for those that occurred a bit further in the past. :smile:
The further you go south into Italy the more they use the remote past instead of the perfect tense.
I agree though that you don't need to produce it for GCSE or even A-level but recognition will be necessary :cool:

I probably should stop pretending I know lots of things about Italian :tongue: I'm just repeating what I've read from grammar books :tongue: Have you been to Southern Italy much then? :smile: I've heard the divide between North and South is much bigger than in Britain, in culture and in wealth (almost a Republic of Venice/Two Sicilies split)?
I probably should stop pretending I know lots of things about Italian :tongue: I'm just repeating what I've read from grammar books :tongue: Have you been to Southern Italy much then? :smile: I've heard the divide between North and South is much bigger than in Britain, in culture and in wealth (almost a Republic of Venice/Two Sicilies split)?

All of my grammar knowledge comes from Living Italian or assuming it's the same as French :h:
Not at all I've only been to Rome once and when I went I knew not one word of Italian :tongue:
The south is less economically developed than the north (I think) because the north is in Europe's Blue Banana. It's this group of super urbanised cities in Europe that join to form, you guessed it, a banana :mmm:
All of my grammar knowledge comes from Living Italian or assuming it's the same as French :h:
Not at all I've only been to Rome once and when I went I knew not one word of Italian :tongue:
The south is less economically developed than the north (I think) because the north is in Europe's Blue Banana. It's this group of super urbanised cities in Europe that join to form, you guessed it, a banana :mmm:

Hahaha well you've probably done a lot more work than I have so I trust you :tongue: Ah, I've heard of the Blue Banana :smile: goes through England, Holland, the Ruhr, and Italy right? :smile: I've also heard that the dialects can also be heard a bit more in the south, like Neapolitan, because standard Italian is taken from old Tuscan...?
Hahaha well you've probably done a lot more work than I have so I trust you :tongue: Ah, I've heard of the Blue Banana :smile: goes through England, Holland, the Ruhr, and Italy right? :smile: I've also heard that the dialects can also be heard a bit more in the south, like Neapolitan, because standard Italian is taken from old Tuscan...?

Ok but I warn you I'm FAR from an expert :wink:
Yeah that's right, it only touches the very north of Italy though eg. the top quarter of the whole country.
I honestly have no idea about dialects and can hardly contain myself over the existence of a language called Neapolitan :woo:
Ok but I warn you I'm FAR from an expert :wink:
Yeah that's right, it only touches the very north of Italy though eg. the top quarter of the whole country.
I honestly have no idea about dialects and can hardly contain myself over the existence of a language called Neapolitan :woo:

Hahaha well when Naples makes the best mafias and the best ice cream, it's only natural they have the best dialect names :wink:
Reply 4574

:lol: That was my reaction to finding out about the sub-languages (would you call them that?) of Italian! There's one called Emiliano-Romagnolo, from the Emilia-Romagna region- I like it a lot that there's not only a region, but also a language with a very similar name to me :tongue: I want to learn it! :wink:
Hahaha well when Naples makes the best mafias and the best ice cream, it's only natural they have the best dialect names :wink:

That's where I'm from :P and I speak Neapolitan if anyone has questions about it :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
:lol: That was my reaction to finding out about the sub-languages (would you call them that?) of Italian! There's one called Emiliano-Romagnolo, from the Emilia-Romagna region- I like it a lot that there's not only a region, but also a language with a very similar name to me :tongue: I want to learn it! :wink:

Sub-languages sounds cool but it's probably better to stick with dialects :tongue:
When exactly do you suppose you'll have the time for that then? :wink:
Damn :colonhash:

German is the best going on Duolingo (in terms of losing lives... It's easy to hear as well)
Original post by Bambirina
That's where I'm from :P and I speak Neapolitan if anyone has questions about it :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow :eek: is it a nice city to live in? :smile: I know it's built near a supervolcano, but is it pretty and quintessentially Italian? :tongue:
Can anyone tell me how you make a noun plural in German?

Frauen
Kinder
Manner

Er and en?

Latest

Trending

Trending