The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

Original post by james1211
Wow talk about un-accomodating. Do they want a more current version of the letter? I wouldn't say 5 months is outdated, that's a lack of understanding there.

Re: smileys, just hit more under the smileys and there's a selection of hundreds.

Thanks:h: some awesome smileys there, quite obvious but I never thought to click 'more' haha!

Re the letter, they didn't seem to say exactly but in fairness it doesn't explicitly say that there's grounds for what I want to happen.

Original post by Sabertooth
That's ridiculous. I'm really surprised they're being such ass****s about it, in my experience they didn't overly care about the contents of the letter so long as there was one. Is there anyone you can talk to or perhaps try to get a letter from your GP just to confirm what you've told them? I'd think even a GP letter should be good enough.

Absolutely driving me mad(der)! This is all after I've been referred person-to-person for ages. They suggested getting a GP letter but I can't get one until I can get back to uni and see the GP face to face because she refuses to send one without me wasting time going in for yet another appointment................................................:rolleyes:
Still sliding :s-smilie:

Original post by asdfgah
:hugs: thanks hun, I'm really sorry I never replied to the pm.. am being appalling at all communication until I'm fully meltdowny and then end up posting here. Yeah I'm still away... looking forward to being alone for more than 5 mins at a time. I really appreciate it, hope you're not doing too badly. Hopefully catch up once I'm back and have a computer. :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry I didn't get in touch today (or yday rather) - things have been a bit eventful this end. Will try and be in touch better in future, though Wagnerfest recommences tomorrow and goes on til God-knows-when on Sunday :eek:

Get that app I told you to btw! :yep:
Reply 5022
How is everyone :smile: kinda ditched you lot but things aren't very good. Fourth night in a row of not being able to sleep and things have gone massively downhill over the last day. I missed my CBT appointment yesterday because it isn't helping me so I don't see the point. I have a headache right now because of the bad thoughts. I don't see things improving for me at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi,

I was just wondering if I can ask about other people's reactions to Citalopram - I've been getting ridiculous headaches if I don't take them on the dot at the same time everyday (I can't even be off by an hour), feel constantly nauseous that I can't eat properly (my mum made my favourite dish today and I was so upset I could barely eat two spoonfuls, then at dinner, it took me an hour to finish a bowl of soup, and my toilet routine (wel... it's not good). I'm not sure if this is normal, I'm only two days into it.

Xxx
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I was just wondering if I can ask about other people's reactions to Citalopram - I've been getting ridiculous headaches if I don't take them on the dot at the same time everyday (I can't even be off by an hour), feel constantly nauseous that I can't eat properly (my mum made my favourite dish today and I was so upset I could barely eat two spoonfuls, then at dinner, it took me an hour to finish a bowl of soup, and my toilet routine (wel... it's not good). I'm not sure if this is normal, I'm only two days into it.

Xxx

When I started citalopram I had pretty bad headaches and nausea for maybe 2 weeks-ish, so I'd say it sounds like it could be a normal reaction. I'd say give it a bit longer and hopefully it will wear off. Remember though, there are a lot of different antidepressants so if the side effects are too extreme for you to put up with you could always try a different one.
Hi,

Xxx

Hi. If you check the leaflet in the box you'll find these are normal side effects. The first few days are aweful in my experience, but it should improve after that.
Trouble eating is something I had too. I felt sick and nauseous and couldn't bring muself to eat. I found that things like biscuits were easier though, especially ginger biscuits because they help when you're feeling sick. Give it a go just trying little bites of something basic, maybe a cheese sandwich with really plain cheese.
Most side effects will go in a week or so. There may be something that stays (i still get dizzy when i've just taken them or when I get up too quickly), but you'll get used to it if it does.
As for having to take it at the same time, I used to have that too early on but now it's not an issue. If i'm off by too long I sometimes feel nauseous or more dizzy, but I usually take them hours apart each day with no real issue.

Just keep at it for a while and it will get better. :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5026
Original post by danny111
Where do you want to go? Just out of the house away from your sister?

Can't really talk about what I really want cos it's against the rules. But yeah. Having somewhere other than our room to sleep would have helped last night..

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Still sliding :s-smilie:

Sorry I didn't get in touch today (or yday rather) - things have been a bit eventful this end. Will try and be in touch better in future, though Wagnerfest recommences tomorrow and goes on til God-knows-when on Sunday :eek:

Get that app I told you to btw! :yep:

sorry you're sliding. :hugs: haven't bothered to charge my phone yet (on tablet) but I will if I get energy.

Original post by avhhs
How is everyone :smile: kinda ditched you lot but things aren't very good. Fourth night in a row of not being able to sleep and things have gone massively downhill over the last day. I missed my CBT appointment yesterday because it isn't helping me so I don't see the point. I have a headache right now because of the bad thoughts. I don't see things improving for me at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Going to be blunt: cbt isn't meant to have an immediate effect. You don't go into a session feeling bad and come out feeling better.. you work on thought patterns over several sessions and eventually improve. But it won't help unless you go. In my experience, unless you are incapacitated, if you feel bad enough to warrant treatment it is worth accepting the treatment you're given...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by avhhs

Posted from TSR Mobile

:hugs: I hope things are going to start picking up for you asap. Having had CBT myself, my advice is just to stick at it, missing appointments won't work in your favour. You need to keep up with it and stay regular. I know it doesn't feel like it is doing nothing, it does take quite a while I will admit that, but in the end it does help a lot. I'm a lot less anxious than I used to be and can deal with stress much better. It did take months of hard work but you'll get there :hugs: I know it's easy for me to say, and it's hypocritical of me saying this, but you really have to force yourself to believe that things will get better. If you're at rock bottom the only way is up :hugs: PM me if you need someone to talk to or if you have any questions about CBT. I might not have all the answers you're looking for but I can try :smile:
Hi,

Xxx

It's quite common to feel like this on anti depressants. Usually it's only very short term. I can't remember how I felt when I was put on citalopram it was about 5 years ago and I have changed medications a lot since then. It should wear off within a few weeks. As for the constipation some people get that effect from all anti depressants, some anti depressants or none at all. I've found most do it to me. So my psychiatrist or GP prescribed stuff to help with that.
Hi,

Xxx

Like anonymoose said, all of that is quite normal early on. Everyone reacts differently to it, but the harsh effects should subside in two weeks tops, if not earlier.

The only side effects i had after that initial period were feeling tired regularly, difficulty sleeping, some constipation and trouble reaching climax (that may only be for guys, not sure though)

That said, i know people that after about 3 weeks still felt terrible, so they just tried different medication.

SSRIs, the type of drug that citalopram is, are all similar since they essentially do the same thing. However you might react badly to one but be fine with another.

If citalopram doesn't work for you, don't worry, there is a lot of medication out there, you just have to persevere some times to find what works for you.

Be assertive to your doctor too, make sure they know if you're having trouble with something.

Best of luck to you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
So confused right now. Can't put my thoughts into words.
Original post by sunfowers01
So confused right now. Can't put my thoughts into words.

:console: It's horrible feeling like that; I'm getting it a lot at the moment. Have you tried just writing things down as they come into your head to see if that helps at all?
Reply 5032
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Oooooh, you is so blue! (And that rhymed :awesome: ) :ahee: :party: :danceboy: :yeah: :cool:

Thank you :colondollar: I don't think blue suits me :colonhash:
Reply 5033
Original post by avhhs

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to be blunt dude but just by believing and thinking what I've put in bold means you probably won't 'see' any improvements even if there is any because you've closed your mind to the possibility to it ever happening. I'm not going to lie, I used to think exactly that around the time where things were incredibly tough for me last year but I had abit of tough love from people in this thread and looking back; although I just wanted to wallow and see things with a closed mind, it was exactly what I needed in the long run. If you don't think there's any possibility of getting better mate, you've immediately lost the war and the battle. You need to have a slightly more open mind. Recovery won't come immediately and it won't come quickly and it'll be hard - There's no getting away from that but it can happen.

I also think that, like asdfgah has said previously, if health professionals have judged you bad enough to need therapy and if you think you're bad enough to need therapy, you should grab it with both hands. There'll be people on the waiting list for therapy that would jump at the chance to start it and to just throw it away like you're doing? :/ It just doesn't sit well with me. I know I slag my therapist off for not being amazing but there has been things I've taken away from it. It's given me a different view on the things people said to me while I was bullied. It helped me identify my thought patterns a whole lot more and while I wish I'd dealt with the bullying abit more directly, it's now more in the past than it was before I started therapy. I just don't believe you should throw away the chance of therapy like you could be doing - especially given you're not allowed to be referred again for 6 months after they've discharged you.

Hi,

Xxx

Citalopram? I had no initial side effects to it on 20mg but found it didn't help much at all. Ended up with an emergency appointment with a psychiatrist who doubled my dose to 40mg which completely ****ed my sleep up and made things a million times worse. Yeah, I don't really rate it as a drug but that's just my personal experience :redface: Side-effects should wear off after a couple of days? It's the first line SSRI though for all GP's so like what everyone else who's responded has said, there's alot more anti-depressants you can try. They'll probably want you to continue with taking it for around 8 weeks before they think of changing it though if it's not had/having any positive affect at all since it can take upto 8 weeks for them to start showing any lasting effect.
Hi,

Xxx

While I mostly agree with the others that it's generally best to stick with a drug for a while to see if the side-effects wear off (as they most commonly do), thought I'd also give a word of caution. I had an equally bad reaction to citalopram when I tried it, but stuck with it anyway for six weeks. What I failed to notice was that because of the nausea and lack of appetite, and because nobody was keeping a particular eye on me (least of all myself), I'd actually managed to become dangerously underweight in those six weeks. Use common sense, and if the side-effects really are that bad and remain so, discuss switching with your doctor. It might also be worth talking things over with your mum, get her to keep an eye on your wellbeing and to assess if the drug's doing you more harm than good (although the positive effects of antidepressants can commonly take up to six weeks or so to appear, it's no good waiting that time if by doing so you become twice as miserable :tongue:).

Hope you do find something that helps soon, whether that be citalopram or another treatment. :smile:
Reply 5035
Something quite odd and upsetting happened earlier. Can't really talk about it cause of rules. I'm just feeling really really wobbly :cry2:
Reply 5036
Original post by 08batee
Something quite odd and upsetting happened earlier. Can't really talk about it cause of rules. I'm just feeling really really wobbly :cry2:

no wobbles. wobbles are for jelly. cuddles and hugs to calm you. lots of them. x
I actually had a surprisingly good day today, I was terrified to start with, I spent the day with my boyfriends mum and sister while he was at home!!
We went to a fashion museum and it was amazing, so many beautiful dresses. And I even had a mess around trying on a Victorian dress! Was actually quite a fun day :smile:

Just hope this party that I have to go to tomorrow night goes just as well!
Terrified isn't even the word, I had a massive breakdown last night because of it. Gahhhh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5038
Original post by zonkfrog
no wobbles. wobbles are for jelly. cuddles and hugs to calm you. lots of them. x

Thanks, hun :hugs: I really appreciate that :redface: Hope things are okay with you :hugs:
Reply 5039
Original post by 08batee
Thanks, hun :hugs: I really appreciate that :redface: Hope things are okay with you :hugs:

Its not been great. I have medical stuff I wont go into but essentially I'm having an ill day which then makes my mood is pretty bad too.

I'm glad you liked my jelly comment. I was worried it came across like one of those idiots that's like "don't be sad, get over it" but I'm glad you didn't take it that way :smile: