The Student Room Group

Architecture Applicants 2014

Couldn't see a thread so I thought I'd make one.

Anyone out there applying for architecture for 2014 entry? :^_^:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Me!

At the moment, I'm thinking of applying to Bath, Sheffield (possibly for a joint Architecture & Structural Engineering course), Oxford Brookes, and Liverpool. All will change on August 15th though. Anyone out there doing the EPQ?
Reply 2
Original post by DominikS
Me!

At the moment, I'm thinking of applying to Bath, Sheffield (possibly for a joint Architecture & Structural Engineering course), Oxford Brookes, and Liverpool. All will change on August 15th though. Anyone out there doing the EPQ?

Someone else! :colondollar:

Nice choices. I'm considering UCL, Bath, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Nottingham and Cardiff at the moment. I did look at Sheffield, but didn't like it that much.

I did the EPQ, although my topic was Art History as opposed to specifically focusing on architecture. Waiting for the result in August :K:
Reply 3
Original post by CoffeeAndCake
Couldn't see a thread so I thought I'd make one.

Anyone out there applying for architecture for 2014 entry? :^_^:

Me!
I think of Cambridge, Northumbria, Liverpool, Cardiff and Shefield
Reply 4
Original post by villy95
Me!
I think of Cambridge, Northumbria, Liverpool, Cardiff and Shefield

Nice, have you visited all your choices?

Which Cambridge college are you interested in?
Reply 5
I am international and I can't visit them. My Cambridge application is open. I think I've done a good choise.
Reply 6
Original post by villy95
I am international and I can't visit them. My Cambridge application is open. I think I've done a good choise.

Where are you from?

Are you applying to unis in your home country too?
Reply 7
Finally a thread on this!
I'm thinking on applying for Architecture
Currently thinking about UCL and Bath as my top choices.
Is work experience really necessary?
Reply 8
Original post by anowak
Finally a thread on this!
I'm thinking on applying for Architecture
Currently thinking about UCL and Bath as my top choices.
Is work experience really necessary?

:hi:

I think Bath and UCL are my top choices too.

I've done a couple of weeks work experience. I don't think its necessary, but its good to mention in your PS because it shows you've taken an interest in the discipline and that you've tried to experience it first hand. Especially as most people won't have experienced architecture within school. But I guess there will be a lot of people who haven't done any / much, so I doubt it would be a deciding factor on an application. If you have done some though, they might ask you at interview?

What subjects have you done in sixth form?
Reply 9
I'm doing Art & Design, English Lit, Maths and Physics
I don't know what to drop through :/

What about you?
Reply 10
Original post by anowak
I'm doing Art & Design, English Lit, Maths and Physics
I don't know what to drop through :/

What about you?

I did Art, Maths, Further Maths, Physics and History to AS and then Art, Maths, Further Maths and Physics to A2. I've just finished year 13 and I'm taking a gap year.

I just dropped the subject I did worst in on results day.
Reply 11
I'm applying for Architecture for 2014 too!

At the moment my choices are Cambridge, Bath, Cardiff, Newcastle, and one other, looked at Manchester but went off it.

I've done Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics and Product Design at AS, and probably dropping Further Maths, depending on results! :smile:

Has anyone started putting together a portfolio yet?
Reply 12
Original post by Jose23
I'm applying for Architecture for 2014 too!

At the moment my choices are Cambridge, Bath, Cardiff, Newcastle, and one other, looked at Manchester but went off it.

I've done Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics and Product Design at AS, and probably dropping Further Maths, depending on results! :smile:

Has anyone started putting together a portfolio yet?

Hi :smile:

Have you considered Nottingham, Edinburgh or Sheffield as your fifth choice? :h:

I'm a gap year student, but when I was in year 13, most people didn't start portfolios for art-related subjects until about a week before their deadline. Most people ended up including a lot of their year 13 work, just simply because their year 13 work was better than stuff that had been produced before.

Have you started work on your PS yet? What sort of stuff are you including?
Reply 13
Hi :smile:

Have you considered Nottingham, Edinburgh or Sheffield as your fifth choice? :h:

I'm a gap year student, but when I was in year 13, most people didn't start portfolios for art-related subjects until about a week before their deadline. Most people ended up including a lot of their year 13 work, just simply because their year 13 work was better than stuff that had been produced before.

Have you started work on your PS yet? What sort of stuff are you including?

I've looked at all 3 of those, Nottingham and Edinburgh are definite options, just need to choose one! Ah I guess that makes sense, thanks for the advice!

Ive written a draft personal statement, mainly focused on why I'm interested in architecture and what It means to me, and then extra curricular stuff that will benefit me in Architecture. Is there anything else that you would suggest?
Reply 14
Original post by Jose23
I've looked at all 3 of those, Nottingham and Edinburgh are definite options, just need to choose one! Ah I guess that makes sense, thanks for the advice!

Ive written a draft personal statement, mainly focused on why I'm interested in architecture and what It means to me, and then extra curricular stuff that will benefit me in Architecture. Is there anything else that you would suggest?

Oh, did you not like Sheffield then? I can understand that; I really hated it!

So far I've been to UCL, Nottingham, Bath, Cambridge and Sheffield. I'm going to Cardiff and Edinburgh in September, because their summer open days were the same day as A2 exams :angry:

Which Cambridge college were you thinking of applying to?

I'm including a paragraph about why I want to study architecture, discussing my work experience, a level choices and art foundation, trips abroad to interesting architecture sites, then super/extra curricular stuff. I can't really think of anything else to put in :s-smilie:
Reply 15
Hey if anyone needs advice regarding portfolio or anything else I'll be happy to help! I took a gap year and got offers from all my choices. Starting university this September.
Reply 16
Oh, did you not like Sheffield then? I can understand that; I really hated it!

So far I've been to UCL, Nottingham, Bath, Cambridge and Sheffield. I'm going to Cardiff and Edinburgh in September, because their summer open days were the same day as A2 exams :angry:

Which Cambridge college were you thinking of applying to?

I'm including a paragraph about why I want to study architecture, discussing my work experience, a level choices and art foundation, trips abroad to interesting architecture sites, then super/extra curricular stuff. I can't really think of anything else to put in :s-smilie:

I haven't been to visit, but my first impression wasn't great, but there's a course there that I quite like there so I don't know.
Bath and Cambridge are definitely my favourite, probably King's at Cambridge, I really liked it.

I might go and visit Edinburgh in September, maybe Liverpool, Sheffield and Nottingham, but I really hated Manchester.

Yeah that sounds about right I think, I just need to finish mine
Reply 17
Original post by Glitched
Hey if anyone needs advice regarding portfolio or anything else I'll be happy to help! I took a gap year and got offers from all my choices. Starting university this September.

What kind of thing did you put in your portfolio? Congratulations, where are you going?
Reply 18
Original post by Jose23
I haven't been to visit, but my first impression wasn't great, but there's a course there that I quite like there so I don't know.
Bath and Cambridge are definitely my favourite, probably King's at Cambridge, I really liked it.

I might go and visit Edinburgh in September, maybe Liverpool, Sheffield and Nottingham, but I really hated Manchester.

Yeah that sounds about right I think, I just need to finish mine

I liked the look of the course in the prospectus, but I hated it at the Open Day :K: I haven't looked at Manchester.

I didn't see Kings, but I really liked Gonville and Caius, Trinity and Sidney Sussex. Although whether or not I apply depends a bit on what my results are like on the 15th :afraid:

I'm going to the Edinburgh Open Day in September :colone: Maybe I'll see you there? :eek:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Jose23
What kind of thing did you put in your portfolio? Congratulations, where are you going?

Thank you, I'm going to the Architectural Association and got offered a scholarship! Basically since I took a gap year I decided instead of doing a foundation year I would do my own projects at home. I realised that universities appreciate it more when you do your own projects because it shows that you are self motivated. The thing that people don't realise is experimentation is far more important than having final pieces. Experimentation shows that you can make decisions and can learn from mistakes etc.

Btw when applying to universities extra curriculum stuff and work experience isn't really a big deal. Just make sure the portfolio is really good and you'll get offers. Feel free to ask anymore questions!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending