The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kallisto
I'm here again. I'm often confuse in the usage of the verbs 'take' and 'bring'. Can anyone give me examples to learn the handling of these verbs, please?

Hiya, 'bring' is a word that means 'carry' or 'go with' and is more or less a synonym for 'take' - I take my ball (with me)/ I bring my ball (with me).
However, 'take' has more meanings in which you can't use 'bring', for example:
I take photos.
Also, 'take' would be used for choosing or selecting something - I take a cookie (to eat) or I take a newspaper and in these cases, the action is done immediately and no 'carrying' is done, that is, you aren't taking the cookies or newspapers anywhere.
Bring can almost always be replaced by take, but this is not the same the other way about.

I hope this made sense and hopefully somebody will reply as well to help! :smile:

(also, it's 'confused' in this case)
Reply 4781
I'm here again. I'm often confuse in the usage of the verbs 'take' and 'bring'. Can anyone give me examples to learn the handling of these verbs, please?

aasvogel's advice is good but from experience I'm guessing you're struggling with it in a different way - my Danish other half gets them wrong all the time and I have to keep correcting him.

Which you use if it's in the sense of bringing something with you somewhere usually depends on who is talking and where they are in relation to the item to be taken/brought.

For example, the other day my other half told me, from his workplace, to go to the bank and bring ID so I could pick up my bank card. This made no sense unless he was at the bank at that point, or would be meeting me there and I'd be bringing my ID with me to meet him at the bank. What he should have said is take ID with you, because he was talking about me going somewhere that wasn't where he was. Similarly, if he wanted me to take some food to his workplace for him, he would ask me to bring him lunch. If I were to tell someone else about this, I would say I was taking him some food, unless that person was at his workplace or would be there when I got there, in which case I would say I was bringing him some food, because I'd be taking it towards the person I'm talking about it to.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ronove
aasvogel's advice is good but from experience I'm guessing you're struggling with it in a different way - my Danish other half gets them wrong all the time and I have to keep correcting him.

Which you use if it's in the sense of bringing something with you somewhere usually depends on who is talking and where they are in relation to the item to be taken/brought.

For example, the other day my other half told me, from his workplace, to go to the bank and bring ID so I could pick up my bank card. This made no sense unless he was at the bank at that point, or would be meeting me there and I'd be bringing my ID with me to meet him at the bank. What he should have said is take ID with you, because he was talking about me going somewhere that wasn't where he was. Similarly, if he wanted me to take some food to his workplace for him, he would ask me to bring him lunch. If I were to tell someone else about this, I would say I was taking him some food, unless that person was at his workplace or would be there when I got there, in which case I would say I was bringing him some food, because I'd be taking it towards the person I'm talking about it to.

Damn, this was going to be my explanation :yep:
Reply 4783
Original post by EmilyJayne14
中国是很好! 很多中国人不讲许多英语, or that's what it seemed like when I went to China! We did tend to go to some less-touristy places though :smile:
Read this: http://resources.allsetlearning.com/chinese/grammar/ASG17BLH

usually connects two nouns. There's no need for it if you are using a noun and an adjective. So you should say 中国很好. I think.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Ha, silly person :teehee:

I'm liking Russian :ahee:

Ты можешь говорить по-русский?:biggrin:

Missed a soft sign :wink:

I hate how much of a mouthful the words are but then I feel so proud of myself when I get it right :redface:
Reply 4785
I'm in Wales right now :colone:

The only Welsh I know is 'dim siarad', 'yscol', 'diloch yn fawr' and 'rwy'n dy garu' :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by constantmeowage
Missed a soft sign :wink:

I hate how much of a mouthful the words are but then I feel so proud of myself when I get it right :redface:

Damn it :colone:

I hate how they all mush into one word..
I'm in Wales right now :colone:

The only Welsh I know is 'dim siarad', 'yscol', 'diloch yn fawr' and 'rwy'n dy garu' :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Diolch* ysgol* :colone:
Damn it :colone:

I hate how they all mush into one word..

Oh and it's по-русски without a Й because I think that's the accusative declension :s
Reply 4788
Original post by Gilo98
Hoping my mfl teacher doesnt make me do my french and german CA at the same time, think ill just crawl to a corner and cry.....

Because Italian is an extra language at my school, we kept almost having clashes with our French and Italian CAs :L But they usually manage to make sure that there aren't any clashes, we have quite a few dual linguists :smile: At least French and German are significantly different, rather than doing sonething like Spanish and Italian CAs at the same time!

Duolingo is dying on me...

It's showing different words to the sentence I'm meant to make :frown:

That's annoying :s-smilie: I don't have the app on my phone, only on my iPod, and I can't get mobile Internet on there, so... I might have to download it :wink:

Original post by sunfowers01
I'm frustrated with my language learning. I don't seem to be progressing that much with my Spanish.

Stick with it- progression at the start seems slow but after a period of time you can really see the improvement :smile:

Original post by aasvogel
Picked up a wee book full of Italian verbs and conjugations and the French version of 'Candide' (reading the English atm) for £3.
How I love second-hand bookshops.

Sounds awesome! My friend managed to get me a 3 inch thick, very detailed Italian dictionary for free on work experience!! It even has colour shades and flags and labelled pictures (e.g of power tools, and other random things) in English and Italian!! I'll probably never use half of it, but still! :tongue:

Original post by Kolya
Read this: http://resources.allsetlearning.com/chinese/grammar/ASG17BLH

usually connects two nouns. There's no need for it if you are using a noun and an adjective. So you should say 中国很好. I think.

Ah okay, I think I've heard that somewhere before!! Thank you for reminding me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ronove
x

I guess I got it. I take my food from my home to a certain place, but I bring my food from a certain place home. From this point of view a worker takes the food to the work place, but he brings the food from the work place home. But as far as I can see it depends on the perspective. So I take my food at home, but I bring the food at home for someone.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4790

As was implied, my Welsh is limited :colone: I even asked my Welsh relatives if the spellings were right and they said yes :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh and it's по-русски without a Й because I think that's the accusative declension :s

Aah, whatever :hand:
As was implied, my Welsh is limited :colone: I even asked my Welsh relatives if the spellings were right and they said yes :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

But they weren't :tongue:
Aah, whatever :hand:

But they weren't :tongue:

:redface: it's un-brush-aside-able, you know! :redface:
:redface: it's un-brush-aside-able, you know! :redface:

I'm not gonna be fluent in Russian any time soon anyway:colone:
Reply 4794
I guess I got it. I take my food from my home to a certain place, but I bring my food from a certain place home. From this point of view a worker takes the food to the work place, but he brings the food from the work place home. But as far as I can see it depends on the perspective. So I take my food at home, but I bring the food at home for someone.

Exactly - you only bring it home with you if you're telling someone at home about it. If, say, you were to write a little story where there was no dialogue and no other characters besides the protagonist, he/she/it would only ever be taking things anywhere.
In Italian, what would be the difference between 'I have men's books' and 'I have books from the men.'

I got this on DuoLingo, said the latter and was marked wrong.
Original post by aasvogel
In Italian, what would be the difference between 'I have men's books' and 'I have books from the men.'

I got this on DuoLingo, said the latter and was marked wrong.

Latter doesn't make sense... Compared to the first one anyway
Latter doesn't make sense... Compared to the first one anyway

Isn't 'da' from, anyway?

Ho dei libri dal' uomi...?
Isn't 'da' from, anyway?

Ho dei libri dal' uomi...?

Whaaat?

English I mean
Whaaat?

English I mean

The preposition 'da', I thought that meant from (and things like since and 'chez' and stuff)

Latest

Trending

Trending