The Student Room Group

Birkbeck's Legal Method (Certificate in Higher Education) Enquiry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Forum User
I'm not sure what an insuring post is so I can make neither head nor tail of the first sentence.

This thread had nothing to do with BPP at all. The original poster did not mention BPP at any stage. The first person to mention them was you, and your comment about them was both negative and entirely irrelevant to the question you were asking. So I am sure you can see how it seems like a 'crusade' against them.

Fair enough that you think that the structure is poor and the teaching is minimal, obviously I disagree. I look forward to proving you wrong about the course being pointless.

Using a samsung tablet means you probably wont be able to make out any of my posts right now.

Yes it did have relevance. I have had discussions with ROH about BPP. She notified me of this post due to our discusiosns. I am making a point that accepting Greenwich for example, may be just as pointless as accepting BPP. Therefore, if I do not get an offer from SOAS I may be better off doing the Cert to HE at Birkbeck first.

Bpp have given me this impression by the way they have been through their admisions process. Im yet to meet one person who has said doing the LLB at BPP is a better idea then doing the Cert to HE then applying to an RG/ other good traditional uni. Therefore arrived at my opinion of it being pointless, if you wish to persue a career in Law.
Reply 21
ok... let's not hijack the post. I have contacted several private institutions who are providing LLB programme and all of them are providing misinformation.

Can we please discuss Legal methods at Birkbeck?
Original post by solicitor2b
ok... let's not hijack the post. I have contacted several private institutions who are providing LLB programme and all of them are providing misinformation.

Can we please discuss Legal methods at Birkbeck?

Im not trying to hijack anything!! I am in a simillar situation and its very confusing.

Everywhere will tell you something different but yes you can get in to top unis with the Cert to HE. Do you not already have A levels you can apply with as you have been to an RG before?
Reply 23
You are not hijacking rather 'forum user' is doing so.
You are not hijacking rather 'forum user' is doing so.

.....Back to A levels, do you not have any? You could always try for clearing with A and B grades, or even lower! Unless of course your set on UCL or Kings.
Reply 25
Original post by crystal1330
.....Back to A levels, do you not have any? You could always try for clearing with A and B grades, or even lower! Unless of course your set on UCL or Kings.

I have A levels but it's pointless to discuss about them now because I passed A levels in 2009. If want to study in an undergraduate course again, I need some sort of foundation course i.e. Birkbeck legal methods.
I have A levels but it's pointless to discuss about them now because I passed A levels in 2009. If want to study in an undergraduate course again, I need some sort of foundation course i.e. Birkbeck legal methods.

I guess it depends on where you want to do your LLB as there are plenty of places that will accept decent A levels, even if they are 4/5 years old. Birkbeck would certainly consider you and depending on what you've been doing job/ experience wise in the past year or two, so may QMU and SOAS, to name a few.

But if you only want to either do Cert to HE then RG or BPP now, I'd say Cert to HE. Birkbeck is very well respected for its LLB, particularly if you are a mature student (as its self explanatory why you chose such a place). So there really may be no need to do the Cert to HE first. If I do not get in through clearing this year, I have decided to do the Cert, then Uni over BPP. Hope that helps :-)
Reply 27
Original post by crystal1330
I guess it depends on where you want to do your LLB as there are plenty of places that will accept decent A levels, even if they are 4/5 years old. Birkbeck would certainly consider you and depending on what you've been doing job/ experience wise in the past year or two, so may QMU and SOAS, to name a few.

But if you only want to either do Cert to HE then RG or BPP now, I'd say Cert to HE. Birkbeck is very well respected for its LLB, particularly if you are a mature student (as its self explanatory why you chose such a place). So there really may be no need to do the Cert to HE first. If I do not get in through clearing this year, I have decided to do the Cert, then Uni over BPP. Hope that helps :-)

I have decided to for Legal Methods because my targets are top law school. Good that you haven't chosen BPP. BPP and the University of Law (formerly college of law) are only good for LPC and BPTC.
E
I have decided to for Legal Methods because my targets are top law school. Good that you haven't chosen BPP. BPP and the University of Law (formerly college of law) are only good for LPC and BPTC.

That's the exact conclusion I arrived at! I'm glad you have made your decision :-). Good luck with it all.
Hi everyone,

I'm 21 and planning to do an LLB degree from UCL/KCL. Previously I was studying Accountancy in a RG university but had to withdraw due to ill health.

I recently contacted UCL and KCL. Both of them have told me to enrol at Birkbeck's Legal Method (Certificate in Higher Education) programme.

Will UCL/KCL ever enrol me in their LLB programme if I complete Birkbeck's Legal Method (Certificate in Higher Education)?

Thanks

The answer is yes, they will look at you - provided you get the right results... someone on here went on to Oxford a couple of years back by doing the same Cert HE course at Birkbeck - i think her profile was Eve something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending