The Student Room Group

Physics 2014 Entry Hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by joostan
Yeah, so much money there - maybe being a financial advisor / actuary would be more principled :s-smilie:

My morisby report said I should be an actuary but I don't think I'm quite good enough at maths (I don't think I got an A* this year after a poor c4 :frown: ). I like the idea of (management not financial) consultancy and going all over the world that would be cool. But i also really want to work at JET as fusion is the scientific holy grail ATM in my eyes ..

So many choices!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 261
Original post by Goods
My morisby report said I should be an actuary but I don't think I'm quite good enough at maths (I don't think I got an A* this year after a poor c4 :frown: ). I like the idea of (management not financial) consultancy and going all over the world that would be cool. But i also really want to work at JET as fusion is the scientific holy grail ATM in my eyes ..

So many choices!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I think I'd like to use my degree, maybe for something useful, so we'll see nearer the time :smile:
Reply 262
Hi guys.

I'm interested in studying physics. I'll be applying to Oxford and Imperial, but for the rest i'm still unsure. The next two would probably be Sheffield and Exeter with year in Australia/New Zealand. I wonder if there is anyone else interested in that kind of programme? Also I have noticed (from this and previous year) that nobody is really applying to Sheffield/Exeter. Does that mean that these universities cannot compare to ones like Manchester, Warwick, Durham...?

How is life in big cities like London, Manchaster, Birmingham? Do you have any time to spend it there or are you too busy with studying? I would really like to live in a big city but if you are left with no time that doesn't really make sense.
Reply 263
Original post by Alyo
Hi guys.

I'm interested in studying physics. I'll be applying to Oxford and Imperial, but for the rest i'm still unsure. The next two would probably be Sheffield and Exeter with year in Australia/New Zealand. I wonder if there is anyone else interested in that kind of programme? Also I have noticed (from this and previous year) that nobody is really applying to Sheffield/Exeter. Does that mean that these universities cannot compare to ones like Manchester, Warwick, Durham...?

How is life in big cities like London, Manchaster, Birmingham? Do you have any time to spend it there or are you too busy with studying? I would really like to live in a big city but if you are left with no time that doesn't really make sense.

Glad to see another applicant. I'll be applying to Sheffield as my fourth favourite choice. I can't say much about the other cities, but I have had experience of living as a student in Sheffield when I visit my brother who goes there. I can assure you that students of all degrees have free time when they're not studying. There's plenty to do in all of these cities especially London.
Manchester has been done up and is really nice, London too. However, Birmingham hasn't to the same extent. It has a nice shopping centre, but I find it depressing. I know it's subjective.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alyo
Hi guys.

I'll apply for Exeter probably, I haven't been on an open day yet but love the look of the uni and everyone I know there finds it amazing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 265
Original post by madmadmax321
I think im going to be applying for phyiscs (or chemstry) :biggrin: I'm looking at the 4 year MPhys courses at birmingham, bristol, cardiff and undecided about the other 2 possibly exeter and lancaster (probably 1 high offer and 1 lower offer uni). I'm a little concerned about the difficulty of the maths on the course.

Physics.

How are you finding maths at A level?
Reply 266
Original post by madmadmax321
haha im undecided on which one to choose (dont want to do natural sciences though

It's going well and I'm self teaching it so I can work at my own pace (I think I can push for an A*) although I still haven't decided what applied module to do next june (either M2 or D1) I do have to work at it LOADS which is why im concerned about it getting a lot more difficult at uni.

Where are you looking at applying?

It you're pushing for an A* I'd suggest that you'll be fine some universities do extra maths modules for people who are struggling.. If you're thinking of doing physics definitely do M2 as it could help at university.
I think I'm applying to Durham, Nottingham, Birmingham, Sheffield and Liverpool for the BSc, but I may change to the MPhys/ MSci at uni, I'm not sure

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 267
Original post by adi19956
Glad to see another applicant. I'll be applying to Sheffield as my fourth favourite choice. I can't say much about the other cities, but I have had experience of living as a student in Sheffield when I visit my brother who goes there. I can assure you that students of all degrees have free time when they're not studying. There's plenty to do in all of these cities especially London.
Manchester has been done up and is really nice, London too. However, Birmingham hasn't to the same extent. It has a nice shopping centre, but I find it depressing. I know it's subjective.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm thinking about big cities because of the experience you get when you live there. Coming from a small town even city like Sheffield would be enormous change for me. I'm just worried that there isn't a lot going in smaller cities, like Exeter.
Reply 268
Original post by furryface12
I'll apply for Exeter probably, I haven't been on an open day yet but love the look of the uni and everyone I know there finds it amazing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Let me know how the open day went :smile: From the prospectus I've seen that university is renewed and looks amazing and I am not worried about that. My concern is that it is just not at the same level as some other universities.
Reply 269
Original post by Alyo
I'm thinking about big cities because of the experience you get when you live there. Coming from a small town even city like Sheffield would be enormous change for me. I'm just worried that there isn't a lot going in smaller cities, like Exeter.

Oh I certainly know what you mean, I live in a village on the coast

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 270
Set me up with some good books to read I've read a lot of Feynman so no more please!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Goods
Set me up with some good books to read I've read a lot of Feynman so no more please!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in the middle of E=mc^2, that's pretty good! (Brian Cox and Jeff someoneorother I think)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 272
I'm in the middle of E=mc^2, that's pretty good! (Brian Cox and Jeff someoneorother I think)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Jeff Forshaw

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm hoping to do Physics, but unsure to apply to Cambridge (physical natsci) or Oxford (straight physics).. The main reason is I do AS maths, phys, biology and french. I've loved french and preferred it to biology, and as I want to drop a subject I figured it would be bio, but for Cambridge and their broader science degree that isn't a good idea!!

However I worry that, in doing a straight physics course, I have no option to change the degree a bit if I don't enjoy it as planned. The Oxford course seems very rigid, but it doesn't seem like continuing french over biology would affect my application there....

Advice?? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 274
Original post by naomirebecca1
I'm hoping to do Physics, but unsure to apply to Cambridge (physical natsci) or Oxford (straight physics).. The main reason is I do AS maths, phys, biology and french. I've loved french and preferred it to biology, and as I want to drop a subject I figured it would be bio, but for Cambridge and their broader science degree that isn't a good idea!!

However I worry that, in doing a straight physics course, I have no option to change the degree a bit if I don't enjoy it as planned. The Oxford course seems very rigid, but it doesn't seem like continuing french over biology would affect my application there....

Advice?? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I might be wrong, but at Cambridge if you apply for physical Nat Sci doesn't that just mean you're doing physics?
If your UMS is good enough I'd go for Cambridge. I don't think dropping biology will affect your application there

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Original post by Alyo
Let me know how the open day went :smile: From the prospectus I've seen that university is renewed and looks amazing and I am not worried about that. My concern is that it is just not at the same level as some other universities.

I know, but the entry requirements are slightly lower too and I think I'm going to apply just as one of my five options. I'll wait on results before I decide though! I may not go to an open day though, I visited my cousin there a few years so and I know others that have been so I'll just ask them I think :smile:

Where else are you applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 276
I know, but the entry requirements are slightly lower too and I think I'm going to apply just as one of my five options. I'll wait on results before I decide though! I may not go to an open day though, I visited my cousin there a few years so and I know others that have been so I'll just ask them I think :smile:

Where else are you applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, they are a bit low in comparison with others (AAA -ABB). Nevertheless, I think it is a great uni and would be very happy if got in :smile:

My choices are Oxford, Imperial, Sheffield, Exeter and I am still unsure about the last one, thinking about Lancaster though.

What are your choices?
Original post by Alyo
Yeah, they are a bit low in comparison with others (AAA -ABB). Nevertheless, I think it is a great uni and would be very happy if got in :smile:

My choices are Oxford, Imperial, Sheffield, Exeter and I am still unsure about the last one, thinking about Lancaster though.

What are your choices?

Having told you that, I've just gone and booked the open day for 7th September, so I'll let you know! Probably Exeter, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Royal Holloway and either Lancaster or Leeds. Really love the look of Durham but there's no way I'm gonna get A*AA! What's Sheffield like, I haven't looked there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 278
Really love the look of Durham but there's no way I'm gonna get A*AA! What's Sheffield like, I haven't looked there?

I don't know if this is going to affect you, but I just found it out so I'll tell you: Durham now requests UMS scores at AS level for all applicants (presume they're looking for 90%+ in everything)

Durham Physics Department

We have now started to request UMS marks from candidates who are taking A levels and where their application does not already provide their module marks.

I've been to Sheffield. The city's lovely, not what you expect (or not what I expected). The physics department is pretty standard and quite old fashioned, but has the usual array of expensive equipment. Having talked to some of the professors, I really like them and they seem really enthusiastic. Their union is probably the best in the country and their offer is AAB.
Hi guys, I'm looking to apply for Astrophysics at St. Andrews, Physics with Astrophysics at Bristol, Sheffield, and Birmingham, and Physics with Meteorology at Edinburgh.
I'm hugely interested in weather systems on other planets, and I'm writing my EPQ on the runaway greenhouse effect on Venus, and how understanding that influences environmental action on Earth.

I'm so nervous about applying.
The other day, at a pub quiz, the question:
"What planet is closest to the sun"
came up.
I said Mars.
I was wrong.
I'm having doubts about applying to Astrophysics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending