The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6920
Original post by xxxKINGxxx
Federer should retire once he drops out of top 16. (Seeding for masters, which are the best tournaments RF can realistically win consistently now)

Federer will definitely retire in the top 8. Even at 35, he would still be part of that elite group of players at the WTF.
I dunno about Murray on Clay. He hasn't played the other big 5 on clay for a while, but when he does he doesn't play that bad. I remember him taking Novak to a close 3 setter at a clay masters.

He needs to have a Wimbledon 2013 style seed collaspe to have a realistic chance of the French Open. Obviously he can grab the AO unless Novak proves himself to be invincible on there, Murray has reached the last 3 out of 4 finals.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Roger1
Federer will definitely retire in the top 8. Even at 35, he would still be part of that elite group of players at the WTF.

As much as I believe it is extremely unlikely, Federer needs about 1,000 points to secure WTF this season. Should he not reach the 2nd week of the USO, and not go on a good run in the remaining masters he could have to do it all in some 250s.
Reply 6923
Cilic failed a drug test during Wimbledon, gets a 3 month ban. Fakes injury as a means of withdrawing from the tournament. Supposedly sent his friend to the pharmacy to get glucose tablets, but he didn't read the label which had a warning specifically not to take it if you were a professional sportsman. He took it anyway and subsequently failed the drug test.

Hmmm, aren't there a couple of other players who have taken long breaks from the game...? One player comes to mind in 2012...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by PoisonSky
Hi guys. For those of you who can execute massive flat serves and kick serves

-I've just found out I've been doing the flat serve wrong all the time I've been playing tennis. I need to start working on pronating (leading with the racket edge) from tomorrow. At the moment my serve speed is accurate and fast enough to not hand the receiver the advantage, but not fast enough to ace any decent opponents. So maybe 70mph, although I don't have a speed gun so can't really say. I know over the internet most people massively overestimate their serve speeds so I'm trying not to.
How much more speed do you think pronating adds to the flat serve? If I get the proper technique working could I start hitting a few aces a match?

If you don't pronate by coming up on edge when you serve, you're vastly limiting the racket head speed and by extension the amount of power you can potentially have on your serve. Pronation is actually a very natural action and to be honest if you have good technique you can't not be pronating when you serve, it's an essential component of a good serve. Once you incorporate fast pronation into your serve you'll definitely notice a jump in speed from 10-20mph, maybe more depending on your strength and the racket head speed you can produce. You're right that a lot of people overestimate their serve speeds though, although I have been clocked at 100mph before, and I know I can go slightly faster. This was after working on pronation for a long time. So training wise I would try to do some slow motion exercises where you pronate the racket head very deliberately. Once you get used to the action you should be able to throw the racket head with more speed.

-I'm also trying to learn the kick serve. I've been working on the technique and my coach seems to think I'm getting it right, but when I actually watch the ball, it often has only sidespin on it, or maybe spins from 8 to 2 at most. It arcs high over the net, although I can't really tell whether it "kicks" or not.
What should the spin on the ball look like (what angle should it be spinning) for a kick serve? Should there be more topspin or sidespin?

-My attempts at kick serves also bounce to the left, like a slice serve (I'm a righty), which apparently shouldn't be happening. What am I doing wrong? Being able to hit one of those twist serves that spin to the left then kick to the right would be great

See I'm the other way round - I find the kick serve much easier than the slice, but if you're getting some slice on it that's a good thing. 8 to 2 is correct so your coach is right - if you're not seeing much kick that's all about racket head speed I would guess, but there can be a bit of sidespin as well as top. Ideally I would hit it with the same amount of racket head speed as a flat serve to try to get it kick higher. If it's slicing to the left the only thing I can suggest is change the arc of your swing so you're coming more up the back of the ball and really snapping your wrist out to the 2 o'clock position without coming around the right hand side of the ball.

Twist serves are bloody difficult. I was able to hit them a while ago but can't seem to do it much any more. Takes a lot of racket head speed and a very accurate toss up.
Reply 6925
Original post by Sirocco11
If you don't pronate by coming up on edge when you serve, you're vastly limiting the racket head speed and by extension the amount of power you can potentially have on your serve. Pronation is actually a very natural action and to be honest if you have good technique you can't not be pronating when you serve, it's an essential component of a good serve. Once you incorporate fast pronation into your serve you'll definitely notice a jump in speed from 10-20mph, maybe more depending on your strength and the racket head speed you can produce. You're right that a lot of people overestimate their serve speeds though, although I have been clocked at 100mph before, and I know I can go slightly faster. This was after working on pronation for a long time. So training wise I would try to do some slow motion exercises where you pronate the racket head very deliberately. Once you get used to the action you should be able to throw the racket head with more speed.

Thanks, very helpful :smile:

The pronation feels very natural when I practise swinging the racket, but when I introduce the tennis ball and actually try to serve like that, it feels a lot less natural actually contacting the ball with a flat racket head, with a continental grip. I feel like my wrist gives a little bit, being twisted clockwise more than usual, and I lose a lot of power and accuracy. Either that or I slice it way to the left. Am I doing something wrong with the technique here? I just don't see how it can ever feel natural meeting the ball with a perfectly flat racket head while holding a continental grip, if you see what I mean
Original post by Roger1
1) Probably Delpo or JJ. I've no hope in Dimitrov, Raonic and Tomic.

2) Murray will definitely win the AO somewhere down the line, especially if he can get a mental edge over Djokovic, it'll be a big help. However, I don't see him ever making the finals of FO, let alone win it. There are at least 10 guys better than Murray on clay, and given that clay takes a huge toll on his back, his chances of lifting the RG trophy are next to nothing.

1. Totally agree. Janowicz has really proven himself with his fantastic run at Wimbledon and having made his first Grand Slam semi at a young age he can only get more confident in his abilities. Delpo has got to be the main man, provided he stays healthy - if he doesn't get one before the current generation fades he should definitely be able to after the top 4 decline. But I would dearly love for him to beat one of the big 4 to win a slam again, it would really underline how great Delpo has been trying time and time again to push the one of the top 4 to the edge to beat him.

I agree about Dimitrov, Raonic and Tomic, all of whom I believe have started to move into the territory of 'promise without results'. JJ has already achieved more in terms of top level tournaments than the other three - a Grand Slam semi final and a Masters final as well. Dimitrov, despite beating Djokovic is still performing poorly at Grand Slams - when are the results going to come? Raonic is just a serve, and Tomic is too unorthodox and unfocused to win a slam.

2. Pretty sure Murray will win the Australian at some point. I would be extremely surprised if Murray ever wins the French.
Who do you guys think will win the US Open? I think it'll be a Murray/Djokovic final with Murray edging it again like last year but that's just my thought. I can't see Nadal going too far though because of the hard courts being really bad for his knee but I can see Fed getting to the QFs.
Reply 6928
Original post by Craigenhogen
Who do you guys think will win the US Open? I think it'll be a Murray/Djokovic final with Murray edging it again like last year but that's just my thought. I can't see Nadal going too far though because of the hard courts being really bad for his knee but I can see Fed getting to the QFs.

Most probably Murray/Djokovic, but I think Delpo may have a good run.
Reply 6929
Original post by Roger1
But given his form and his WTF position in doubt he has to play even more tournaments to qualify for it, which is probably one of the reasons why he decided to play Hamburg and Gstaad. I won't be surprised to see him enter a few smaller tournaments that he probably hasn't played before during the fall, if his form doesn't pick up during the US open series.

Did his back injury had a recurrence at Hamburg because he looked fine at Wimbledon?

How many atp 250 and 500 tournaments can you play?
Reply 6930
Original post by ubi1
How many atp 250 and 500 tournaments can you play?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATP_Rankings
Reply 6931
Original post by Zhy
Cilic failed a drug test during Wimbledon, gets a 3 month ban. Fakes injury as a means of withdrawing from the tournament. Supposedly sent his friend to the pharmacy to get glucose tablets, but he didn't read the label which had a warning specifically not to take it if you were a professional sportsman. He took it anyway and subsequently failed the drug test.

Hmmm, aren't there a couple of other players who have taken long breaks from the game...? One player comes to mind in 2012...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Who's that player from 2012?:mad:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6932
Original post by ubi1
Who's that player from 2012?:mad:

Your other half.
Original post by PoisonSky
Thanks, very helpful :smile:

The pronation feels very natural when I practise swinging the racket, but when I introduce the tennis ball and actually try to serve like that, it feels a lot less natural actually contacting the ball with a flat racket head, with a continental grip. I feel like my wrist gives a little bit, being twisted clockwise more than usual, and I lose a lot of power and accuracy. Either that or I slice it way to the left. Am I doing something wrong with the technique here? I just don't see how it can ever feel natural meeting the ball with a perfectly flat racket head while holding a continental grip, if you see what I mean

Just a guess, but it could be that you're holding the racket head too tightly - hence your wrist feels like it's giving out a bit. A nice loose wrist will allow you to pronate maximally. I wouldn't worry about that though - the more pronation and twist you can get on it, the better. If you watch the pros they get an incredible amount of pronation into the swing.

If you're still slicing it you've got to be coming too far round the right hand side of the ball, and if that's the case you need to change the toss of the ball slightly, and try to change the contact point you are making on the stringbed. For a flat serve you want to be contacting as close to the sweet spot (centre) as you can. For a kick you want to be towards the left side of the strings. It sounds like you're making contact on the right hand side of the stringbed, hence why you're slicing it.

It is tough to get used to the feel of a pronation, but when I'm serving for practice I try almost to take the ball out of the equation, and think more about the motion itself. The motion comes first, the placement, precision and power comes later. Hope that helps! I'm no pro, but I've been playing and observing the game for years and have picked up a lot of stuff along the way.
Original post by Sirocco11
It is tough to get used to the feel of a pronation, but when I'm serving for practice I try almost to take the ball out of the equation, and think more about the motion itself. The motion comes first, the placement, precision and power comes later. Hope that helps! I'm no pro, but I've been playing and observing the game for years and have picked up a lot of stuff along the way.

This is the best advice possible. I only really improved when I focused purely on the motion. I've played plenty of sports over the years and whilst they all offer a challenge, I don't think I've come across anything as difficult as serving in tennis. So another key is patience. It can be very frustrating but you can't expect things to click in a relatively short period of time.
So the streak of Fognini continues glad he managed to scrape a win I think it would have really crushed him to end his streak by losing a match which he was 5-0 up in the 3rd set. As for Monfils really think he was very scrappy didn't impose himself at all but credit to him for fighting to come back from 0-5 down to having 3MPs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tactical Nuclear Penguin
Two points for discussion:

1) Who will be the next player of the current crop to win a grand slam other than Federer, Nadal, Djokovic or Murray

2) Will Murray ever win the AO or the French?

Del Potro is streaks ahead of everybody else in being able to compete with the top 4 (actually i don't think he's played Murray since like 2009) and perhaps most importantly has reached the SF in Paris. His fitness needs to improve but i think Wimbledon really illustrated the coming big 3 and i am utterly sure that Del Potro will be the world number 1 at some point.

It's worth noting that in summer 09 he beat Nadal 3 times in a row culminating with the US Open (and i think he got back to that level in 2012 - 9 finals even if small) so if he comes into this summer with a spring from that epic then he could cause serious problems.

Murray will be a champion in Australia and the US multiple times however there is no chance at the French.
Original post by Rakas21
Del Potro is streaks ahead of everybody else in being able to compete with the top 4 (actually i don't think he's played Murray since like 2009) and perhaps most importantly has reached the SF in Paris. His fitness needs to improve but i think Wimbledon really illustrated the coming big 3 and i am utterly sure that Del Potro will be the world number 1 at some point.

It's worth noting that in summer 09 he beat Nadal 3 times in a row culminating with the US Open (and i think he got back to that level in 2012 - 9 finals even if small) so if he comes into this summer with a spring from that epic then he could cause serious problems.

Murray will be a champion in Australia and the US multiple times however there is no chance at the French.

Agree with you about Del potro I think a very important thing for him should be to try and get into top 4 so that he does not face Nadal/Murray or Djokovic before semis, just to add Murray and Del potro played each other in IWs this year Delpo won in 3sets it was a really weird match though with Murray winning a good quality tight 1st set and then just fading away really fast

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheMagicRat
This is the best advice possible. I only really improved when I focused purely on the motion. I've played plenty of sports over the years and whilst they all offer a challenge, I don't think I've come across anything as difficult as serving in tennis. So another key is patience. It can be very frustrating but you can't expect things to click in a relatively short period of time.

So true. The pros make it look so easy, but it's such a difficult shot to truly master, and requires hours of patient exercise. Just keep at it, focusing on the motion, and it will come eventually.
Reply 6939
Original post by Rakas21

He beat Nadal in Miami, Canada and US open, but since then Nadals has done 5 in a row against him.

Latest