The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Operating Department Practice 2013 Intake at Portsmouth

Hello :smile: I have received an unconditional offer from Portsmouth to study Operating Department Practice. I attended a department open day yesterday and I was really impressed! I couldn't see a thread for potential ODP students so I thought I would create it. Is there anyone else thinking if going to Portsmouth to become an ODP? I would like to talk to others and see what their thoughts are on the course and housing as I am undecided whether to live in halls or go straight into a private rented house? I will be classed as a mature student when I start I think as I will be 21 and I am not sure how well I would get on in halls. I hope people will respond to this thread, I am very friendly and love to meet new people!
Reply 1
Hi :smile: I have accepted my place for September for odp. So excited. I will also b classed as a mature student I will b 23 when we start, so I was thinking at looking straight into a house share, quite nervous about living with and around people I have never met but I guess it's all part of the fun. Where are you from? I'm from Brighton so not moving that far but will work out cheaper to live there than commute.
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Reply 2
Original post by Bridie1704
Hi :smile: I have accepted my place for September for odp. So excited. I will also b classed as a mature student I will b 23 when we start, so I was thinking at looking straight into a house share, quite nervous about living with and around people I have never met but I guess it's all part of the fun. Where are you from? I'm from Brighton so not moving that far but will work out cheaper to live there than commute.

Hey :smile: I haven't accepted my place at Portsmouth yet as I have another offer at another university closer to home and I am totally torn between the two. I live near Norwich so Portsmouth is quite a long way away for me. I was also looking into going straight into private rented house but I have no idea how to go about it- I think about 25% of first year students choose a house share rather than halls. I spoke to two 2nd year students after my interview at Portsmouth and they said to consider renting a house with other ODPs so there will be that mutual understanding and respect that you are on a professional course that is demanding and you may have to wake up early to go on your placement. Why did you decide to apply for the course? :smile:
Reply 3
You can choose house share instead if hall preferences on the housing form and then they give you access to a renting site type thing for other Portsmouth students. They hold events in the summer as well for you to meet people in your situation who you might want to live with and then you get a place together with them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
That is really useful to know as I was worried that it would be a bit of a hassle, thanks :smile:
Reply 5
Hi Guys

I'm starting at Portsmouth in September too. I'm probably the most 'mature' out of everyone...!

Really looking forward to meeting you all!

:smile:
Reply 6
hi everyone.

really need to start looking for a house share now really dont know where to start though. cant wait to meet all of you.

Bridie
Reply 7
What are the placements like, how many days at uni etc?

I need to decided between Portsmouth or Surrey
Reply 8
Hello! I have accepted my offer at Portsmouth for odp this September :biggrin:!! I am looking at a house share this sat and will hopefully be moving down early sep :smile: would be nice to meet some people on the same course as this is the first time I will be living in a new town.. scary stuff! :smile:
Reply 9
Hiya im in the same boat, i have never lived out of my home town. I have my house set share ready, i move on the 1st September. I tried to message you but it wouldnt let me, will be good to meet up in september if you fancy it, maybe it wont be so scary if there is 2 of us that no know1 there. x
Reply 10
I'm just finishing my first year ODP at Portsmouth. The year has gone very quickly. Any questions, you are welcome to message me.
Reply 11
haha yes that will be good, im moving in around the 10th will be nice to know someone and not be a larry and defiantly be less scary!!
Reply 12
Original post by Beanie99
I'm just finishing my first year ODP at Portsmouth. The year has gone very quickly. Any questions, you are welcome to message me.

Hi :smile: I am going to apply for 2014. I am very anxious. Do you have any tips to give to me? Well I am mature student I think eh eh I am 32 years old and I have 2 children but be an Odp is my dream because I have done the course in Brasil but can not work in here until I complete the course :frown: the thing is, it is very hard the away to get in there to at least start.
I still have to get 7.0 in my Ielts so another barrier.

Sorry for talking to much...can you give any advice? Is that hard to be accepted? Do you know how many hours study a day? I leave in Guildford so probably I will need to drive for an hour to get in there...

thank you for your time :smile:

Pri
Reply 13
Original post by Beanie99

hello, I'm very interested in applying for the ODP course at portsmouth uni next year. Iam mature student with two kids and this will b a career change for me. I would like some insight on the placement aspect of the course.
What is the earliest time, in the morning, you have had to be at your placement,
Have u ever done weekend or night placements and are the placements within portsmouth or have you had to travel far.
I will be very grateful for your reply, it will give me an insight on the type of childcare I will have to arrange for my kids when I'm on the course. Many thanksthanks
Reply 14
hi yes i move in on the 1st so we will sort something out to meet. will u be going to freshers i have seen alot advertised for it but dont want to go along on my own lol.
Reply 15
yes! i want to go to all that fresher's stuff but not on my own!! cant wait :smile:
Reply 16
Hey everyone!
Oh My Gosh! Ive just accepted my place at Portsmouth!
Im so excited to meet everyone! although I will be commuting from poole (this may change!) :smile:
anyone else a bit nervous???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending