The Student Room Group

Vocaroo your accent!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by -Neuro-

Maybe I'm one of people from Scotland who doesn't sound Scottish :colondollar: I was born in India and all of my family are from there but I don't think that would explain the "Irishness" I've got. I like Irish accents so I'm really not complaining :tongue:

Wouldn't have guessed you were born in India either :tongue:. Nonetheless kool Irishy scottish accent.
Original post by -Neuro-
I live nowhere near Orkney :ninja: I love Scottish accents too, especially if they are well-spoken and they sound really strong and powerful in debates :love: One of my English teachers had a thick, booming, bellowing Scottish accent and he sounded awesome and so powerful during debating!

I think it was somebody just randomly negging posts for the sake of it! I +repped it to balance it out :h:

Just listened to yours, it's definitely Scottish! It's like a less broad version of Alex from Being Human, big girlcrush there.
Original post by -Neuro-
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1roAC4AkhMq

It's been interesting to here other people's accents so I thought it would only be fair to display mine. I'm reading an extract from the Hobbit and I just blab on a bit.

Damn I've listened to it again and I keep on saying eh or erm :facepalm:

You sound so articulate! :smile:
Original post by bellamarie93
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0T12WcqMO9S

So this is my accent. Can you guess where I'm from?

I love it! :biggrin: Also, definitely not posh (I don't mean that in a bad way :biggrin:).
Original post by sumsum123
You sound pretty posh to me :tongue:
Whereabouts do you think I'm from? :tongue:
Original post by ladymarshmallow
How are you where I'm from - Fitlike the noo
I also like "Fit ya deein?" :smile:

In Aberdeen it's usually just "Fit like?" and pretty much every sentence ends in ken. It's great actually, never liked it at school but after being away for a year and surrounded by heaps of people slipping in Doric words, it's great. I've been writing them down to teach my flatmates. Blethering's a favourite, and blootered, I totally forgot these weren't normal words. :lol:
Original post by bellamarie93
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0T12WcqMO9S

So this is my accent. Can you guess where I'm from?

Lancashire?
Reply 827
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Asklepios had something to say on this very matter, in fact:

In fact, it's been the topic a lot lately in ScotQuals..."a twisted affirmation of my masculinity", I think someone called it. :tongue:

Asklepios was right and its a pretty admirable quality to be honest! If I remember correctly you said you were 6 foot 5 too which I suppose adds another twist :tongue:

Now we just need to figure out how? :holmes:

It would be a bit of a pain to record :redface:

Original post by aspirinpharmacist
Hmmm, mysterious. Yeah, definitely. Same with south Yorkshire accents, my granddad's from there and he has this brilliant accent. I love Paolo Nutini's voice, and James McAvoy, they're lovely. Oh, and Maggie Smith obviously. Basically it's just the Aberdonian accent I'm not so keen on, but I like it more if I've been away and around other accents, not sure why.

Well, it is pretty annoying to be honest. I never listen to recordings of myself, it doesn't sound like me! Or maybe it does. :O Although my flatmates said I had a teensie Scottish lilt when I started uni, it disappeared though, along with my "r's". Thank you though! :biggrin: :biggrin:

It depends on the person's general tone of voice so much too though! I've had a dislike fro Glaswegian and Scouse accents but there's people with nice voices despite the accent. David Attenborough, Brian Cox and Carl Sagan have beautiful voices too. Accents are so cool, they really add character to a person.

I hate listening back to recordings of myself, I always get really hooked up over it and criticize myself a lot. That's why for this recording I told myself to not attempt it over 10 times but keep the number of takings to a strict 3 :tongue: It's quite weird seeing that happen, I know a guy who went from having an American accent to a posh English accent. There are somethings which won't change though, my dad can never pronounce the "z" sound, he always says "j" instead. It's hilarious when he calls a zebra a "jeebra" :lol:
Wouldn't have guessed you were born in India either :tongue:. Nonetheless kool Irishy scottish accent.

Thank you :wink:

Just listened to yours, it's definitely Scottish! It's like a less broad version of Alex from Being Human, big girlcrush there.

I don't follow the series :redface: I'm guessing it's the one with the short hair and Scottish accent? If so, her voice is really nice, quite soothing actually :colondollar:

Original post by AspiringMedic8
You sound so articulate! :smile:

Thank you! :h:

Have you got yours up? I'm listening all the ScotQuals vocaroos :ninja:
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1396O6066tE

I decided to have another go to shake off the 16 year old boy part :lol: I Capture the Castle at its worst, sadly.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by -Neuro-

It depends on the person's general tone of voice so much too though! I've had a dislike fro Glaswegian and Scouse accents but there's people with nice voices despite the accent. David Attenborough, Brian Cox and Carl Sagan have beautiful voices too. Accents are so cool, they really add character to a person.

I hate listening back to recordings of myself, I always get really hooked up over it and criticize myself a lot. That's why for this recording I told myself to not attempt it over 10 times but keep the number of takings to a strict 3 :tongue: It's quite weird seeing that happen, I know a guy who went from having an American accent to a posh English accent. There are somethings which won't change though, my dad can never pronounce the "z" sound, he always says "j" instead. It's hilarious when he calls a zebra a "jeebra" :lol:

I don't follow the series :redface: I'm guessing it's the one with the short hair and Scottish accent? If so, her voice is really nice, quite soothing actually :colondollar:

I actually quite like Scouse accents, it's weird. I think it's because it was the first accent I could ever imitate, we did Blood Brothers at school and I was alright at copying it by the end. :lol: Some Glaswegian voices can be nice too, but I prefer the softer ones. They do, so do Jason Isaacs, Ian McKellen and Jeremy Irons :love: Oh, and Tom Hiddleston.

Yeah, once ended up seeing a recording of me in a play I did, as soon as I came on I buried my face in my hands. :lol: I just re-did mine, couldn't resist. Haha, that's amazing! Apparently the accent you have when you're seven is the one you keep, which makes sense, although I shifted from mild Cornish to this weird posh one that doesn't really belong anywhere. Kinda wish I had a proper regional accent but ah well, I'll move abroad where my British accent will be adorable no matter what. :tongue:

Yep, that's the one! She's got a great voice.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1horApRXALk :colondollar:

I love everyone else's accents to be honest! :smile:
Original post by -Neuro-
Have you got yours up? I'm listening all the ScotQuals vocaroos :ninja:

Mines is up, it's so bad! :lol:
Original post by ladymarshmallow
:redface: I used to not be able to pronounce the th sound :colondollar:, although I have mostly remedied that now - I think I was just a bit nervous!

Is that not what French people find hard to pronounce when speaking English? You must be like a born languages speaker :awesome:
Original post by Multitalented me
Whereabouts do you think I'm from? :tongue:

Mmm mmm mmm, I am going to take a wild guess and say Oxford? :tongue: Okay down south somewhere? :curious:
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1396O6066tE

I decided to have another go to shake off the 16 year old boy part :lol: I Capture the Castle at its worst, sadly.

Did you say "ridiculously deep"? What are these people on about?
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1horApRXALk :colondollar:

I love everyone else's accents to be honest! :smile:

Scottish? I have to be right about this accent atleast :rolleyes:.
Mmm mmm mmm, I am going to take a wild guess and say Oxford? :tongue: Okay down south somewhere? :curious:
I'm from an area South of London so you're right in a way :tongue: (I can assure you I'm not posh though).
Scottish? I have to be right about this accent atleast :rolleyes:.

You are correct! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Multitalented me
I'm from an area South of London so you're right in a way :tongue: (I can assure you I'm not posh though).

Yayy I am right (in a small way :laugh:). Fair enough, I don't sound posh either. Maybe its something this vocaroo site...
You are correct! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:u: if I got that wrong I would have just :facepalm:

Quick Reply

Latest