The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AngryJellyfish
Did you see the second link that I edited in? Here it is again if you missed it.

http://forbiddenplanet.com/stores/

Like I said, haven't a clue what the difference between 'Forbidden Planet' and 'Forbidden Planet International' is, but maybe one of these stores might be a bit closer? :dontknow:

Makes it a little easier but I HATE TRAINS, I ALWAYS get lost! DX
At least I don't have to change trains, literally a single bus and then a single train. So, 2 buses and 2 trains in total, although, journey time = little under 3 hours there and back...

I hope it's worth it the one in London.
Reply 4921
Original post by Scienceisgood
Makes it a little easier but I HATE TRAINS, I ALWAYS get lost! DX
At least I don't have to change trains, literally a single bus and then a single train. So, 2 buses and 2 trains in total, although, journey time = little under 3 hours there and back...

I hope it's worth it the one in London.

I live in London, so I've only been to the London one and can't compare to others --- but even so, I think it's a pretty cool place. It's 2 floors the first floor is dedicated to Action Figures and merchandise such as t-shirts, mugs, posters, toys. It has everything from The Big Bang Theory to Star Wars. But downstairs, is where the magic happens - this floor is dedicated entirely to comics - both Western and Japanese and also anime. They also have those Shounen Jump/Shojo Beat magazines with like 10 chapters of different manga. Next to Forbidden Planet you have Trocadero, an arcade with a Tokyo Toys shop so that's always nice to check out :smile: I'm going FP myself on Tuesday and I'll be dragging a friend - he's not into anime but he likes superheroes so he'll be checking out the action figures with me :smile:
Hope this is the right thread and not the other one! :tongue: Many moons ago I used to love anime however for many years now I've been really out of touch with it and haven't watched any, been trying to get back into it and was hoping for some recommendations anything post 2005 really as that's when I largely stopped watching it :smile:

Used to love ones like Serial Experiements Lain, Hellsing, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell, Outlaw Star, etc.

Decided to give anime a go again after stumbling across some vids of Attack on Titan and Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood whilst browsing youtube. I've done some quick searching and picked out Ergo Proxy, Darker than Black, Psycho-Pass and Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom as some other ones to add to my list but I'm sure there must be more :tongue: I generally like most things horror, sci-fi, fantasy and action related, don't particularly like anything that's too overly cutesy or heavily reliant on the comedy side of things.
Original post by fire2burn
Hope this is the right thread and not the other one! :tongue: Many moons ago I used to love anime however for many years now I've been really out of touch with it and haven't watched any, been trying to get back into it and was hoping for some recommendations anything post 2005 really as that's when I largely stopped watching it :smile:

Used to love ones like Serial Experiements Lain, Hellsing, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell, Outlaw Star, etc.

Decided to give anime a go again after stumbling across some vids of Attack on Titan and Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood whilst browsing youtube. I've done some quick searching and picked out Ergo Proxy, Darker than Black, Psycho-Pass and Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom as some other ones to add to my list but I'm sure there must be more :tongue: I generally like most things horror, sci-fi, fantasy and action related, don't particularly like anything that's too overly cutesy or heavily reliant on the comedy side of things.

Your quick search has brought up some good results, the shows you've listed are certainly among the best action series of recent years. :yes: Here's a few more I'd suggest - sorry if the list is a bit big, but 8 years out of the loop means you've missed out on a lot. :p:

2006:
Black Lagoon - Code Geass - Death Note - Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - Noein

2007:
Baccano! - Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - Claymore - Zombie-Loan - Sword of the Stranger

2008:
Ga-Rei Zero - Kaiba - Kurenai - Shigofumi - Macross Frontier

2009:
Kemono no Souja Erin - Sengoku Basara - Guin Saga - Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 - Aoi Bungaku

2010:
Shiki - Durarara!! - House of Five Leaves - Rainbow - Katanagatari

2011:
Steins;Gate - Fate/Zero - Mirai Nikki - Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Un-Go

2012:
Shin Sekai Yori - Zetsuen no Tempest - Tasogare Otome x Amnesia - Jormungand - Robotics;Notes

2013 (bear in mind some are still airing):
Kakumeiki Valvrave - Suisei no Gargantia - Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi - Danganronpa - Gatchaman Crowds

...those are just some of the ones I'd consider highlights. :giggle:
(edited 10 years ago)

Holla! -waves-

Certainly some good stuff there and Angryjellyfish gave some great ones. IMHO you should check out Planetes which is my personal favourite sci-fi anime and if you try Higurashi no Naku Koro ni then 'Another' is worth a watch as well.

Other recs (I'm probably going to kick myself for missing a bunch but oh well):
Hell Girl (Horror/Action)
Paranoia Agent (Horror)
Revolutionary Girl Utena (not as cutesy as it first appears, honest!)
Eden of the East (Sci-fi elements)
Texhnolyze (Only if you like your anime void of happy feels)
Mushishi (Sort of horror-y)
Gankutsuou (sci-fi/awesome version of Counte of Monte Cristo)
Gyo (Lovecraft-esque horror film)
Legend of the Galactic Heroes (bit old but it's brilliant sci-fi)
Cat Soup (for when you no longer want your sanity)
Monster (psychological thriller)
Time of Eve (sci-fi)
Pale Cacoon (dystopian future oneshot)
Le Portrait de Petit Cossette (supernatural horror)
Voices of a Distant Star (sci-fi one shot)
Witch Hunter Robin
Last Exile (Sci-fi/Steampunk)
Gunslinger Girl (Action)
Blood+ (Horror/Action)
Elfen Lied (Just creepy as hell)
Michiko to Hatchin (action)
Demon Prince Emna (horror short series)
(edited 10 years ago)
Did you see the second link that I edited in? Here it is again if you missed it.

http://forbiddenplanet.com/stores/

Like I said, haven't a clue what the difference between 'Forbidden Planet' and 'Forbidden Planet International' is, but maybe one of these stores might be a bit closer? :dontknow:

I've been to both. The only difference is they give you vouchers in "Forbidden Planet" that you can't use in "Forbidden Planet International"
X

Tell us, are you sub or dub? *Choose carefully*
Although, if you like action, I would recommend Blue Exorcist/Ao No Exorcist
Or even Sword Art Online =P
DBZ is the only anime where i prefer dubs over subs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by F_shakeey
DBZ is the only anime where i prefer dubs over subs

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's because Goku sounds like a woman in sub...
Then again, he is voiced by a woman and I don't like it when women are VA to guys, it just doesn't work, it sounds, well, Goku...
Guys, does anyone know where I can find high quality anime downloads without the excessive data requirements?
I have downloaded the first 48 episodes of Fairy Tail (although, quality is right up there, 1080p) and it takes up 39.9 GB of data...
What anime are people watching from the current quarter? Personally i am a fan of Ginga Kikoutai MJP (my favourite over last two quarters), Shingeki no Kyojin, Highschool DxD New, Dangan Ronpa: The Animation, Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou, Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi, TWGOK3 and SxS :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by JamesR1993
What anime are people watching from the current quarter? Personally i am a fan of Ginga Kikoutai MJP (my favourite over last two quarters), Shingeki no Kyojin, Highschool DxD New, Dangan Ronpa: The Animation, Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou, Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi, TWGOK3 and SxS :smile:

New this season:

Genshiken Nidaime (my favourite by far)

Danganronpa (obligatory survival game)

Senki Zesshou Symphogear G (the ultimate guilty pleasure)

Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi (mysterious and intriguing)

Gatchaman Crowds (certainly has style)

Free! (basically K-On! with guys, but at least they take their club activities seriously)

Gen'ei o Kakeru Taiyou (it's trying so hard to be the new Madoka Magica...)

Gin no Saji (educational and entertaining)

Stella Jogakuin Koutou-ka C³-bu (light-hearted action)

Rozen Maiden Zurückspulen (hurry up and start already!)

Love Lab (my body is lingerie)

Uchouten Kazoku (nice animation, character designs... traps...)

Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku (...this is actually pretty bad)

Blood Lad (...this is worse)

Continuing from earlier seasons:

Hunter x Hunter (epic)

Shingeki no Kyojin (EPIC)

Uchuu Kyoudai (great storytelling and character development)

Mushibugyou (current arc isn't off to a great start, but the show has its moments)
Original post by JamesR1993

Still way to busy going through old stuff to catch the new things but i've caught the first ep of Genshiken Nidaime and it was a good start so hopefully i'll be sticking with that. Right now though I just really want to finish Higurashi :^_^:

Any good horror or hard sci-fi anime out so far this year?
Does anyone know when Higurashi: Outbreak is being released?
Been waiting FOREVER AND A HALF for it! DX
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
Still way to busy going through old stuff to catch the new things but i've caught the first ep of Genshiken Nidaime and it was a good start so hopefully i'll be sticking with that. Right now though I just really want to finish Higurashi :^_^:

Any good horror or hard sci-fi anime out so far this year?

Suisei no Gargantia is probably the best sci-fi offering so far this year; there's also Kakumeiki Valvrave, but that's hard to take seriously. :p: Horror-wise, Shingeki no Kyojin and Gen'ei o Kakeru Taiyou spring to mind. :yes:

Does anyone know when Higurashi: Outbreak is being released?
Been waiting FOREVER AND A HALF for it! DX

There's no set release date so far. :no:
I thoroughly enjoyed Watching Suisei no Gargantia. I seems this is quite a year for decent robot based anime. We've had Suisei, Valvrave (season 2 next quarter), Robotics;Notes, Ginga Kikoutai to name a few. It seems gaming anime (Sword Art for example) are on the up as well
That's because Goku sounds like a woman in sub...
Then again, he is voiced by a woman and I don't like it when women are VA to guys, it just doesn't work, it sounds, well, Goku...

Sounds like a little kid which is want they went for because of his personality etc etc
I agree not trying to be sexist but if it's a man then it needs a mans voice, if a woman can pul that off then that's fine but in Gokus case he was made to sound like a kid so they used a womans voice and I just cant take him seriously in it.

Hardest decision of my life : Watch sub battle of the gods or wait 1-2 years for a dubbed version? :sigh:
Suisei no Gargantia is probably the best sci-fi offering so far this year; there's also Kakumeiki Valvrave, but that's hard to take seriously. :p: Horror-wise, Shingeki no Kyojin and Gen'ei o Kakeru Taiyou spring to mind. :yes:

Many thanks, i'll watch them once i'm done with Higurashi, Paranoia Agent, Texhnolyze and Elfen Lied. I don't think my sanity could take much more than these :s:
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
Many thanks, i'll watch them once i'm done with Higurashi, Paranoia Agent, Texhnolyze and Elfen Lied. I don't think my sanity could take much more than these :s:

I'm not sure I'd have any sanity left after watching those particular series in short succession. :p:
I'm not sure I'd have any sanity left after watching those particular series in short succession. :p:

I watched 'Another' in two days a bit back, finished at night when everyone was asleep, went to get some food and screamed my head off at the shape of the hedges outside ;__;

I've got Ouran, Polar Bear Cafe, Kino's Journey and Princess Tutu on the go right now as well so it's... Varied.

Latest