The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by manchesterunited15
What about David Moyes?

Playing for Fergie=/=Playing for Moyes...
Original post by Zürich

Playing for Fergie=/=Playing for anyone else...
Reply 7502
Original post by zKlown
What makes people think that the clear winners of the prem last season are gonna finish outside the top 3?

Only Chelsea and City are challenging us this season. Who have Arsenal signed? They're laughing at us trying to get Fabregas, but what have they actually done? Apart from made a failed bid for Suarez?

Also, Liverpool? Your best player wants to leave ffs! You ain't finishing inside the top 4 next season, I'm fairly confident of that.

If we finish outside top 3, it's a bad season.

brb celebrating finishing 4th

Exactly. I don't understand how people think we are suddenly going to stop being title contenders.

I think an established CB would be a good addition to the squad. The Vidic - Ferdinand partnership is not what it used to be and i don't think the likes of Smalling and Evans are at the level we need to have a solid back 4.
Reply 7503
Original post by Zürich

Playing for the EPL champions =/= Playing for the team that finished 4th

Same logic tbh, we know that Moyes doesn't have the same pulling power as Fergie, he's just walked into the job ffs. But we are still a global name.

Also when Wenger first walked in, no-one had ever heard of him, he came from some Japanese team if I remember correctly. It's about building from the bottom upwards.
Nani yes, Anderson no
Reply 7505
Original post by poiuytrewq54321
Real Madrid have apparently bid 100 million euro for Bale! (Source ESPN) That is a crazy amount of money! He's good but no way is he worth that much.

Guardian reporting it as well, but its been rejected, bloody hell spurs have some ambition for rejecting such a huge amount. If they keep hold of Bale and get Soldado, with AVB in his second season they could challenge for the title with City, Chelsea & us. Paulinho looks good as well, no wonder why Arsenal are going after Suarez, if spurs had Soldado instead of Adebayor last year they would've been at least 4th.
Original post by rohitbd
Guardian reporting it as well, but its been rejected, bloody hell spurs have some ambition for rejecting such a huge amount. If they keep hold of Bale and get Soldado, with AVB in his second season they could challenge for the title with City, Chelsea & us. Paulinho looks good as well, no wonder why Arsenal are going after Suarez, if spurs had Soldado instead of Adebayor last year they would've been at least 4th.

It's shaping up to be an epic season
Reply 7507
Original post by Zürich

You can talk about the quality of the manager if you want, but Chelsea have signed plenty of world class players with caretaker managers, whereas Arsenal have had the same respected manager for years and haven't really signed anywhere near as many world class players :dontknow:
Original post by xDave-
You can talk about the quality of the manager if you want, but Chelsea have signed plenty of world class players with caretaker managers, whereas Arsenal have had the same respected manager for years and haven't really signed anywhere near as many world class players :dontknow:

Havent had the cash at Arsenal really to match Wenger's predigre. But i'd say any player would relish playing for Wenger given his ridiculous track record for improving players and the opportunities he offers. And Chelsea just stick 30k on top of the players wages to attract them.

Not saying players wont want to play for Utd of course, but it would be in spite of Moyes not because of him. Lots of big clubs about with great managers to choose from.

Problem for Utd(and AFC) right now is the severe shortage of available quality players with PSG/Monaco/City skewing the market severely.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Havent had the cash at Arsenal really to match Wenger's predigre. But i'd say any player would relish playing for Wenger given his ridiculous track record for improving players and the opportunities he offers. And Chelsea just stick 30k on top of the players wages to attract them.

Not saying players wont want to play for Utd of course, but it would be in spite of Moyes not because of him. Lots of big clubs about with great managers to choose from.

Problem for Utd(and AFC) right now is the severe shortage of available quality players with PSG/Monaco/City skewing the market severely.

This doesn't matter though since Arsenal have that £180m in cash reserves?
This doesn't matter though since Arsenal have that £180m in cash reserves?

It doesnt mean Wenger cant sign players, it means he might not want to at current prices. AW could have got Higuain for 34m too but didnt think he was worth more than 24m so value is important.

If PSG were going for Suarez theyd have already paid 55m but Wenger refuses to pay over the odds so things get complicated.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
It doesnt mean Wenger cant sign players, it means he might not want to at current prices. AW could have got Higuain for 34m too but didnt think he was worth more than 24m so value is important.

If PSG were going for Suarez theyd have already paid 55m but Wenger refuses to pay over the odds so things get complicated.

Yep, Wenger's biggest fault
Reply 7512
It's shaping up to be an epic season

The thing is with Chelsea getting Jose back, City spending 100mil, Spurs making crucial signings, all 3 of them have move forwards, whereas we have gone backwards in terms of SAF to Moyes, I'm unsure about Arsenal as even if they do sign Suarez, the lad is such a nut case that he could cause rifts in the side and miss a significant part of the season and leave them stranded. The positives for us is that De Gea finished the season brilliantly, Kagawa looked to have settled in the PL at the end of last season and was showing us what Klopp was talking about, and Nani, Valencia and Young can only move forwards from last season. I'm very excited to see what Moyes does with Nani if he gives him a chance. If we get Fellaini though it'll help our midfield out.
Yep, Wenger's biggest fault

There's a reason why he has 180m in the bank, he doesnt get ripped off.
Original post by rohitbd
The thing is with Chelsea getting Jose back, City spending 100mil, Spurs making crucial signings, all 3 of them have move forwards, whereas we have gone backwards in terms of SAF to Moyes, I'm unsure about Arsenal as even if they do sign Suarez, the lad is such a nut case that he could cause rifts in the side and miss a significant part of the season and leave them stranded. The positives for us is that De Gea finished the season brilliantly, Kagawa looked to have settled in the PL at the end of last season and was showing us what Klopp was talking about, and Nani, Valencia and Young can only move forwards from last season. I'm very excited to see what Moyes does with Nani if he gives him a chance. If we get Fellaini though it'll help our midfield out.

It's true they have all improved, but they have to improve to make up that 11 point gap. It's interesting though because depending on how the rest of the transfer window goes, we could finish anywhere from 1st to 5th. That hasn't been the case for a long time.
Original post by Zürich
There's a reason why he has 180m in the bank, he doesnt get ripped off.

He also doesn't win anything - it's just modern football that you sometimes have to pay slightly more than you really want to.
He also doesn't win anything - it's just modern football that you sometimes have to pay slightly more than you really want to.

Have to remember that the new stadium forced him to become tight as well. He's always had to sell to buy since 2004, before then he was able and willing to bring in players who were probably overpriced like Wiltord for 12m who still made a big impace. Still hopeful he'll revert to that this summer with Suarez etc.
Cleverley's turning 24 in 2 weeks, I don't think he'll improve much more tbh
Reply 7518
Cleverley is a good player, just needs to polish his game up a bit
Reply 7519
Original post by NathanW18
Depends on the signings. I refuse to believe that we go through this window and don't sign a midfielder (we really need two), but we need some quality. If we're going to sign an average midfielder, then there's no point in bothering. I keep seeing people say, "Who would you prefer: Average player A or B?" People are trying their best to see the positives in signing somebody that would barely improve us. It's sad.

If we made at least one decent midfield signing, I'd have more hope for next season.

Agreed. :yy:

Latest