The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Matt_dragon
Actually, I haven't even started :teehee:

Yeah, I know :colone:

But do you like to learn through Grammar?
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Yeah, I know :colone:

But do you like to learn through Grammar?

Oh yes, definitely!
Reply 4882
I speak Polish fluently, just to put it out there xD
I want to learn Russian, Spanish, French, German and Japanese! Wooo!

Original post by Obiejess
*whispers* Join us.... French.... Join us....

Posted from TSR Mobile

You listed Spanish first; clearly you want to learn it more than French. Join us... Spanish.... Join us.... :biggrin:
I've decided I would like to fluently speak/write 5 languages: English (Obviously!), French, German, Italian and Spanish,

I'm starting with French.
Oh yes, definitely!

Okay, then I recommend about.com :biggrin:

And perhaps a book?
Original post by AquisM
You listed Spanish first; clearly you want to learn it more than French. Join us... Spanish.... Join us.... :biggrin:

He chose French :colone:
Reply 4885
Okay, then I recommend about.com :biggrin:

And perhaps a book?

He chose French :colone:

:angry::angry: #teamspanishftw xD
Original post by AquisM
:angry::angry: #teamspanishftw xD

No si mi gusto español más que el francés :mmm:
Original post by AquisM

Ideally French along with Spanish :biggrin:
Reply 4888
No si me gusta (el) español más que el francés :mmm:

Ideally French along with Spanish :biggrin:

Well then you've come to the right place :biggrin:
Original post by AquisM
Well then you've come to the right place :biggrin:

Yeah I meant me :colone:
Reply 4890
Original post by Decerto
I've decided I would like to fluently speak/write 5 languages: English (Obviously!), French, German, Italian and Spanish,

I'm starting with French.

That sounds kind of like what I want to do, except I'm not counting English as one of my five languages (since I already know it) and I want to learn Chinese as well. I'll probably learn German later on though, since I haven't done much German at all!!
Original post by EmilyJayne14
That sounds kind of like what I want to do, except I'm not counting English as one of my five languages (since I already know it) and I want to learn Chinese as well. I'll probably learn German later on though, since I haven't done much German at all!!

French is the first one I want to learn, then Spanish, then Italian and finally German.
Reply 4892
Original post by Decerto
French is the first one I want to learn, then Spanish, then Italian and finally German.

Mine is French, then Italian, then Spanish, then Chinese, then German. Mainly because I've been taught the first three properly so they are probably easier.
Original post by EmilyJayne14
Mine is French, then Italian, then Spanish, then Chinese, then German. Mainly because I've been taught the first three properly so they are probably easier.

I do French and Spanish at the moment and am starting A-level this year, I've picked up bits and pieces of German over the years but I start lessons with year nine in September and I'm teaching myself Italian on DuoLingo ready for the history trip to Florence in February :-) I'd then like to do Spanish and German at university, then do a PGCE in modern foreign languages and become a teacher :-D

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4894
Original post by tess_rach
I do French and Spanish at the moment and am starting A-level this year, I've picked up bits and pieces of German over the years but I start lessons with year nine in September and I'm teaching myself Italian on DuoLingo ready for the history trip to Florence in February :-) I'd then like to do Spanish and German at university, then do a PGCE in modern foreign languages and become a teacher :-D

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's pretty awesome!! I'm going on a school trip to Tuscany in February- we're staying in Montecatini, but visiting other places including Siena, Pisa and Florence! :five: I will (hopefully) have been doing A-Level Italian for about six months then, so it will be a very useful opportunity to practise!!

I remember having the language teacher conversation with you!! If I did decide to go down that route, I would do Italian and French :smile:
I'm super disappointed by the advanced Chinese courses on Memrise. The words they teach are super simple. If I'm advanced in Chinese, I think it's pretty obvious that I know how to say " a boat " and " to visit " ! But oh well.. I prefer my books anyway :smile: and there's nothing like writing down characters. (That's the only way I can really remember them)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bambirina
I'm super disappointed by the advanced Chinese courses on Memrise. The words they teach are super simple. If I'm advanced in Chinese, I think it's pretty obvious that I know how to say " a boat " and " to visit " ! But oh well.. I prefer my books anyway :smile: and there's nothing like writing down characters. (That's the only way I can really remember them)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Question about Mandarin! :smile: Obviously the characters and pronunciation is the main bug bear for most people learning...is the grammar just as tricky or is it much simpler? :smile:
Original post by thatitootoo
En ook een hele goede morgen :tongue:

Waarom heb je gedaan besluiten dat je spraken niet meer willen leren? :frown:
Original post by constantmeowage
Question about Mandarin! :smile: Obviously the characters and pronunciation is the main bug bear for most people learning...is the grammar just as tricky or is it much simpler? :smile:

Grammar is much simpler :smile:
Another super hard thing in Mandarin is the great number of idioms - they're called chengyu. They are idiomatic expressions made of 4 characters.
For example : 爱屋及乌. It literally means : love, house, and, crow. So : love the house and the crows. It means that when you love somebody, you have to love the good things about them (like a house, which means wealth in Chinese culture) but also the bad things (such as the crows perched on the roof of their house).
(I think that in English you can say " love me, love my dog ", but the Chinese equivalent is obviously a tiny bit more romantic and poetic :tongue: )

There are about 20,000 expressions like this to remember and Chinese people use them pretty often - especially educated people. I love these expressions but learning/remember them is not exactly a piece of cake :rolleyes:
Original post by Bambirina
Grammar is much simpler :smile:
Another super hard thing in Mandarin is the great number of idioms - they're called chengyu. They are idiomatic expressions made of 4 characters.
For example : 爱屋及乌. It literally means : love, house, and, crow. So : love the house and the crows. It means that when you love somebody, you have to love the good things about them (like a house, which means wealth in Chinese culture) but also the bad things (such as the crows perched on the roof of their house).
(I think that in English you can say " love me, love my dog ", but the Chinese equivalent is obviously a tiny bit more romantic and poetic :tongue: )

There are about 20,000 expressions like this to remember and Chinese people use them pretty often - especially educated people. I love these expressions but learning/remember them is not exactly a piece of cake :rolleyes:

:smile: Is word order much different? And they sound beautiful :redface: I guess the best things to learn in a language are the hardest things to grasp? :wink: would they be used like even more than everyday idioms in our respective European languages then? Almost like a sentence which defines an entire concept?

Latest

Trending

Trending