The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Hey Economics Applicants, I'm an economics student at Warwick who has just finished his first year. I posted over on the UCAS 2013 page and thought it might be worth it if I did so on this one too. If there any questions that you want answered just PM me, just to let you know I'll also be doing blog entries about studying economics at Warwick, which should go live soon, so let me know if you're interested.
Original post by theonewhoknocks
Hey Economics Applicants, I'm an economics student at Warwick who has just finished his first year. I posted over on the UCAS 2013 page and thought it might be worth it if I did so on this one too. If there any questions that you want answered just PM me, just to let you know I'll also be doing blog entries about studying economics at Warwick, which should go live soon, so let me know if you're interested.

Hey I want to apply to Warwick :biggrin: just wanted to ask what is the application process like and what do you think made you stand out and obtain an offer. Also if you dont mind me asking what were your gcse and a level grades like? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 482
Does anybody happen to know roughly if 'Small is beautiful' could be considered a 'cliche' book? (Like undercover economists).

Otherwise I'll stick with Worldly philosophers :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jkizer
Does anybody happen to know roughly if 'Small is beautiful' could be considered a 'cliche' book? (Like undercover economists).

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think worldly philosophers would be much better.

I think either is fine but the latter is definitely very widely read.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 484
Original post by Jkizer

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're only cliche to put on personal statements because so many other applicants have done so, but even then it wouldn't be a disaster to include them.

Keep in mind they are cliche because they are so widely read, meaning that if you are actually interested in a book about economics its worth a read!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 485
Okie dokie. I'm reading 3 books over the summer, one about current economics (US crisis), one which argues against Adam smith. I wanted to thirdly add some historical book to the list. The only ones which my library had was Philosphers and Small - So i took them both :biggrin:

I'll probably read the other one in my spare time during A2 anyways, just that not sure which to read and mention in my PS :biggrin:

But thanks for the help :smile:

Original post by amg_22
They're only cliche to put on personal statements because so many other applicants have done so, but even then it wouldn't be a disaster to include them.

Keep in mind they are cliche because they are so widely read, meaning that if you are actually interested in a book about economics its worth a read!

Original post by tooambitious
I don't think worldly philosophers would be much better.

I think either is fine but the latter is definitely very widely read.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hoping to do Mathematics and Economics at LSE, I'm expecting AAAC at AS and A*A*A at A2 (If S2 goes well then 1/3 of A* for further Maths is complete). Doubt I'll get into Oxford or Cambridge and I'm thinking of applying to UCL as well.
Original post by Jkizer
Okie dokie. I'm reading 3 books over the summer, one about current economics (US crisis), one which argues against Adam smith. I wanted to thirdly add some historical book to the list. The only ones which my library had was Philosphers and Small - So i took them both :biggrin:

I'll probably read the other one in my spare time during A2 anyways, just that not sure which to read and mention in my PS :biggrin:

But thanks for the help :smile:

I'm planning to read Paul krugman's "Depression economics" and Fermats last theorem this Summer. I'll probably begin after results day.
Original post by Dilzo999
Hoping to do Mathematics and Economics at LSE, I'm expecting AAAC at AS and A*A*A at A2 (If S2 goes well then 1/3 of A* for further Maths is complete). Doubt I'll get into Oxford or Cambridge and I'm thinking of applying to UCL as well.

You could easily give Oxford and Cambridge (depending on UMS) a good shot with those. Obviously interview is really important, but you'd be up there on grades alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 489
Planning on applying for LSE I have been told I am predicted A*A*A. Also doing an EPQ next year, on economics somehow, hoping to get A*/A.
Too low? Should I carry on with a fourth A-level. This would change predictions to A*A*A*A. I'm predicted an A* for the one I'm dropping, dropping it because it business studies and already doing economics.
You could easily give Oxford and Cambridge (depending on UMS) a good shot with those. Obviously interview is really important, but you'd be up there on grades alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks but I feel like applying to one of the Oxbridge universities will probably be waste of a spot, my personal statement is pretty bad.
Thanks but I feel like applying to one of the Oxbridge universities will probably be waste of a spot, my personal statement is pretty bad.

Where else are you applying? Gcses?
I always think its worth a punt tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How do people have their predicted grades before their results? :s-smilie:
Where else are you applying? Gcses?
I always think its worth a punt tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

UCL, Warwick, Leeds, Queen marys and LSE as of right now. GCSEs are 1A*, 5 As, 2Bs and 3 Cs (Really regret taking Art). My personal statement isn't bad I've been to quite a lot of extra curricular things like lectures, presentations at banks, University course and I was also planning on doing the essay competition but I've got literally nothing and the deadline is in 3 days. However I haven't done any work experience of summer school I've literally done nothing this summer. Still have to read 2 books. Also the interview is what I'm dreading, I can't bullsh*t for the life of me if they ask me a hard question or something I fear they'll ask me a question with a word I have no idea about and when I ask what does this word mean I'll get insta rejected. Also people with bad GCSE grades like me, I've heard that some top unis like to see an upward slope academic wise as it shows you'll be more prepared than people who just got straight A* as you'll know how to work hard.

Original post by Boy_wonder_95

I'm just assuming this as S2 is one of the components of getting an A* at further maths and looking at the mark schemes I've only lost 1 mark. It's an intelligent guess but for all I know I might got 4 U's.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by eco1995
Planning on applying for LSE I have been told I am predicted A*A*A. Also doing an EPQ next year, on economics somehow, hoping to get A*/A.
Too low? Should I carry on with a fourth A-level. This would change predictions to A*A*A*A. I'm predicted an A* for the one I'm dropping, dropping it because it business studies and already doing economics.

What are your subjects? If you have FM then you'd need 4 A2s as it isn't accepted as a 3 subject combo
Reply 495
What are your subjects? If you have FM then you'd need 4 A2s as it isn't accepted as a 3 subject combo

Maths, Sociology, Economics and business studies.
predicted A in Sociology and A* in the rest.
Original post by eco1995
Maths, Sociology, Economics and business studies.
predicted A in Sociology and A* in the rest.

Then 3 subjects will be fine, they generally don't like Business Studies being offered alongside Economics.
UCL, Warwick, Leeds, Queen marys and LSE as of right now. GCSEs are 1A*, 5 As, 2Bs and 3 Cs (Really regret taking Art). My personal statement isn't bad I've been to quite a lot of extra curricular things like lectures, presentations at banks, University course and I was also planning on doing the essay competition but I've got literally nothing and the deadline is in 3 days. However I haven't done any work experience of summer school I've literally done nothing this summer. Still have to read 2 books. Also the interview is what I'm dreading, I can't bullsh*t for the life of me if they ask me a hard question or something I fear they'll ask me a question with a word I have no idea about and when I ask what does this word mean I'll get insta rejected. Also people with bad GCSE grades like me, I've heard that some top unis like to see an upward slope academic wise as it shows you'll be more prepared than people who just got straight A* as you'll know how to work hard.

I'm just assuming this as S2 is one of the components of getting an A* at further maths and looking at the mark schemes I've only lost 1 mark. It's an intelligent guess but for all I know I might got 4 U's.

Ha, you've chosen some universities that really love their gcses! Youll probably be fine for Leeds and QMUL but may want to consider one of the top 3 (all of them look for strong gcses); good choice might be one of Durham, Bath or Bristol, Cambridge (depending on UMS)
Work exp, Summer school quite irrelevant really.
Interviewers aren't as harsh as that
Hmmm, I have no idea how true it is but it sounds like BS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ha, you've chosen some universities that really love their gcses! Youll probably be fine for Leeds and QMUL but may want to consider one of the top 3 (all of them look for strong gcses); good choice might be one of Durham, Bath or Bristol, Cambridge (depending on UMS)
Work exp, Summer school quite irrelevant really.
Interviewers aren't as harsh as that
Hmmm, I have no idea how true it is but it sounds like BS

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been to Leeds and I really like the place and Queen marys is just for insurance incase I completely fail my A2. I was thinking of which degree to go with for LSE, there's Mathematics with Economics. and there's Mathematics and Economics. Truthfully right now I'm favouring "with" because my personal statement kinda leads towards maths with a bit of Economics.
(edited 10 years ago)

At my school we got given rough A2 predictions(including in the subject you intend to drop) to give us an idea of where we could apply.
The predictions then may be altered in light of AS results.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending