The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by constantmeowage
Waarom heb je gedaan besluiten dat je spraken niet meer willen leren? :frown:

Schat, wat een rommeltje! :tongue: You sound like one of those stereotypical farmers somewhere in (redneck) Niedersaksischland xPP

Your sentence could only work in past tense in standard Dutch! :redface:

"Waarom heb je besloten dat je geen talen meer wilt leren."

The "gedaan" shouldn't be there...where did.
you get that from!?! lol Also, second person singular for "willen"

If you would really like to use "niet" in the sentence: "Waarom heb je besloten dat je niet meer verder wilt gaan met talen te leren." :wink:

In Holland they say "talen" but in the pro-German culture eastern provinces of the Netherlands you will often "spraken" instead ;D

Well done, you've just convinced me not to give up on Dutch...Jij bent een slimme kat ;-)
(edited 10 years ago)
It's similar in German right...
Warum hast du beschlossen, dass du keine andere Sprachen lernen willst!?
Waarom heb je besloten dat jij geen andere talen wilt leren!? :grin:
(edited 10 years ago)
2nd version: Warum hast du beschlossen, dass du nicht mehr weitergehen willst, mit Sprachen zu lernen (?) :tongue:
:smile: Is word order much different? And they sound beautiful :redface: I guess the best things to learn in a language are the hardest things to grasp? :wink: would they be used like even more than everyday idioms in our respective European languages then? Almost like a sentence which defines an entire concept?

For simple sentences, not so much, but some grammar structures bring word order changes. It's not so hard though ! Just another thing to learn by heart.
Yes I guess they use idioms as often as we do, although it's a little hard to compare :rolleyes: yes, they tend to define an entire concept. You can answer a question with a chengyu, for example.

It's super hard but it's worth it, if you're really into it. I think that you need a great amount of time, patience and above all passion to truly master Chinese ... now that I think of it, all the kids I've known who were like " hey you know what I'm gonna learn Chinese because ... yes, I'm gonna learn Chinese. Sounds fun. LOOK I KNOW HOW TO SAY CHOPSTICKS IN CHINESE " failed/stopped when they understood that they would need to spend hundreds of hours sitting at a desk writing down characters.
I miss China :frown:
(This post makes no sense, I know, sorry.)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by L'Evil Fish
My new word is:

Гоблин :ahee:

Learn by heart this song. :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDgVPzNpxb4
The silence at the battle field.
The fires among the tents.
My friends, the moon shines for us over here.
The cover of heaven is above us.
Let's fill mutual goblet, take friendly hand in hand.
Let's drink by wine the bloody fight and farewell with the fallen.
Let's dedicate this goblet for the children of the ancient years.
Glory for you our grandfathers.
Friends, there are no mighty among us anymore - there are no the Chiefs of the Victory.
Friends, there are no mighty among us anymore - there are no the Chiefs of the Victory.
But father's spirit had rised from the dead in the sons.
Their millitary profession is before us.
We shall find there their glorious ashes together with their glorious deals.
Oh, Svyatoslav the scourge of the ancient years.
We see your eagle flight.
"Let's die - there are no shame for the dead"
Thunders before the prince's army force.
And you the fear of the of infidels - Donskoy
Together with the couple of the double-names one.
Flies like the mortal thunder on the army of the foreign tribes.
And you, our Peter, in the croud of chiefs.
Listen his call "Poltava!"
The horde of invaders which came is - the work for the swords.
And all the world calls "Honour!"
Gaul grows pale, Sarmat trembles in the tents from the ferocious looks.
The grief, grief for you, the adversary.
That's our ferocious Suvorov.
This mutual goblet is for the privates and for the chiefs.
In the tents on the field of the honour.
And life and death - is half-and-half.
Here is the friendship without flattery.
Resoluteness, truth, simplicity and no morals dissemling.
And the courage - the beauty of the warriors
And hardness and submissiveness
The friends we know no baseness relations
To the wreaths by the right road!
The danger - the our firm alliance.
We flame by the one glory.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Paul PTS
Learn by heart this song. :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDgVPzNpxb4
The silence at the battle field.
The fires among the tents.
My friends, the moon shines for us over here.
The cover of heaven is above us.
Let's fill mutual goblet, take friendly hand in hand.
Let's drink by wine the bloody fight and farewell with the fallen.
Let's dedicate this goblet for the children of the ancient years.
Glory for you our grandfathers.
Comrades, there are no mighty among us anymore - there are no the Chiefs of the Victory.
Comrades, there are no mighty among us anymore - there are no the Chiefs of the Victory.
But father's spirit had rised from the dead in the sons.
Their millitary profession is before us.
Oh, Svyatoslav the scourge of the ancient years.
We see your eagle flight.
"Let's die - there are no shame for the dead"
Thunders before the prince's army force.
And you the fear of the of infidels - Donskoy
Together with the couple of the double-names one.
Flies like the mortal thunder on the army of the foreign tribes.
And you, our Peter, in the croud of chiefs.
Listen his call "Poltava!"
Gaul grows pale, Sarmat trembles in the tents from the ferocious looks.
This mutual goblet is for the privates and for the chiefs.
In the tents on the field of the honour.
And life and death - is half-and-half.
Here is the friendship without flattery.
Resoluteness, truth, simplicity and no morals dissemling.
And the courage - the beauty of the warriors
And hardness and submissiveness

"Learn this song by heart" we'd say :smile:

In English? Or... :h:
"Learn this song by heart" we'd say :smile:

In English? Or... :h:

The couple of the double-named in the song are the monks from my town: Alexander (before he became monk - was Peresvet), and Rodion - (before he became monk - was Oslyabya).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1u5SDAGmz8

Btw, if there are any muslim-terrorists on TSR - they should better not to watch this cartoon. It's very bad for them, terrorists go hell, Russians go heaven.

In the cartoon the founder of my town says: " Lord said - don't kill, but he also have said that there are no greater love, than to sacrifice your own soul for your nearest. Where is the truth? When the enemy assaults you, you may not to answer, but when the enemy provide danger of the death for our nearest, your duty is to take the armour and to protect. "
Don't forget - the death of the person for his native land is the road to heaven. And the same is written in Koran.
(edited 10 years ago)
"Let's fill mutual goblet, take friendly hand in hand" :zomg:

"This mutual goblet is for the privates and for the chiefs. In the tents on the field of the honour" :zomg:

"Here is the friendship without flattery Resoluteness, truth, simplicity and no morals dissemling" romantic

"And the courage - the beauty of the warriors And hardness and submissiveness" :zomg:

"The friends we know no basement relations"

What do the monks get up to in the basement?
:rofl:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by thatitootoo

What do the monks get up to in the basement?
:rofl:

We didn't have millitary crusade orders in Russia, like in the West. But there were former knights who became monks. The saint who found my town gave Moscow prince his bless and send two such monks to fight for Russia against Mongols and their Italian friends slave-traders.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kulikovo
The couple of the double-named in the song are the monks from my town: Alexander (before he became monk - was Peresvet), and Rodion - (before he became monk - was Oslyabya).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1u5SDAGmz8

Btw, if there are any muslim-terrorists on TSR - they should better not to watch this cartoon. It's very bad for them, terrorists go hell, Russians go heaven.

In the cartoon the founder of my town says: " Lord said - don't kill, but he also have said that there are no greater love, than to sacrifice your own soul for your nearest. Where is the truth? When the enemy assaults you, you may not to answer, but when the enemy provide danger of the death for our nearest, your duty is to take the armour and to protect. "
Don't forget - the death of the person for his native land is the road to heaven. And the same is written in Koran.

I cannot watch this :hand:

I'm a Muslim terrorist :rolleyes:

Why all these vids anyway?
I cannot watch this :hand:

I'm a Muslim terrorist :rolleyes:

Why all these vids anyway?

I thought you learn Russian language. So you should know what kind of cartoons are being provide with the bless of Russian Church. :smile:
I thought you learn Russian language. So you should know what kind of cartoons are being provide with the bless of Russian Church. :smile:

:I thought you were learning (the) Russian language. So you should know what kind of cartoons are being provided with the blessings of the Russian Church:

Nah, I suck at Russian, haven't learnt :nah: but goblin was my new word
Reply 4912
Original post by Bambirina
That would suck ! Characters are so important. It's so much easier to remember the meaning when you see the actual character ... and there are so many homonyms, how are they even gonna manage ?
Oh well.
Spoken Chinese is comprehensible, right? So writing it in pinyin will be comprehensible as well.

Don't get me wrong - I like using characters. How could I not, given I've spent hundreds of hours memorizing them. But I think Duolingo would do best to stick to the spoken language if it is to work as well as the other courses. People who are serious enough to learn hanzi have plenty of other resources available already.
Original post by thatitootoo
Schat, wat een rommeltje! :tongue: You sound like one of those stereotypical farmers somewhere in (redneck) Niedersaksischland xPP

Your sentence could only work in past tense in standard Dutch! :redface:

"Waarom heb je besloten dat je geen talen meer wilt leren."

The "gedaan" shouldn't be there...where did.
you get that from!?! lol Also, second person singular for "willen"

If you would really like to use "niet" in the sentence: "Waarom heb je besloten dat je niet meer verder wilt gaan met talen te leren." :wink:

In Holland they say "talen" but in the pro-German culture eastern provinces of the Netherlands you will often "spraken" instead ;D

Well done, you've just convinced me not to give up on Dutch...Jij bent een slimme kat ;-)

The dictionary said '(doen) besluiten' :redface:

And that wasn't an answer to my original question :wink: why give up on us? :frown: I thought it was meant to last... </3
For simple sentences, not so much, but some grammar structures bring word order changes. It's not so hard though ! Just another thing to learn by heart.
Yes I guess they use idioms as often as we do, although it's a little hard to compare :rolleyes: yes, they tend to define an entire concept. You can answer a question with a chengyu, for example.

It's super hard but it's worth it, if you're really into it. I think that you need a great amount of time, patience and above all passion to truly master Chinese ... now that I think of it, all the kids I've known who were like " hey you know what I'm gonna learn Chinese because ... yes, I'm gonna learn Chinese. Sounds fun. LOOK I KNOW HOW TO SAY CHOPSTICKS IN CHINESE " failed/stopped when they understood that they would need to spend hundreds of hours sitting at a desk writing down characters.
I miss China :frown:
(This post makes no sense, I know, sorry.)

No no I totally agree with you, it really annoys me when people suggest to learn a language because of the economy/the amount of people/because it makes you look accomplished. >~< And then I always say 'learn the language and the culture you find most interesting because you'll do so much better and enjoy it so much more' and then I get negged because I didn't recommend Rosetta Stone. >.<

Maybe I'll get to Chinese one day...at the moment I'm interested in the language, but I'm not interested enough in the culture at the moment for me to really take advantage :frown: Maybe one day :wink: When I get so interested in a language that I want to really get into it, it's normally because I've met someone or been somewhere that's just etched the love of the place/culture/language into my heart forever. :tongue: I'm far too poetic for my own good o.o
Original post by Kolya
Spoken Chinese is comprehensible, right? So writing it in pinyin will be comprehensible as well.

Don't get me wrong - I like using characters. How could I not, given I've spent hundreds of hours memorizing them. But I think Duolingo would do best to stick to the spoken language if it is to work as well as the other courses. People who are serious enough to learn hanzi have plenty of other resources available already.

You're right, I guess that as characters and pinyin are indissociable to me, I can't imagine to only learn spoken Chinese. I actually know some people who can speak decent Chinese but can't read or write, but none of them is fluent, so in my brain it's something that's not so good.
Call me old-fashioned, but I don't know any really good online resources for Chinese, I prefer to use books .. would you happen to know one ?

No no I totally agree with you, it really annoys me when people suggest to learn a language because of the economy/the amount of people/because it makes you look accomplished. >~< And then I always say 'learn the language and the culture you find most interesting because you'll do so much better and enjoy it so much more' and then I get negged because I didn't recommend Rosetta Stone. >.<

Maybe I'll get to Chinese one day...at the moment I'm interested in the language, but I'm not interested enough in the culture at the moment for me to really take advantage :frown: Maybe one day :wink: When I get so interested in a language that I want to really get into it, it's normally because I've met someone or been somewhere that's just etched the love of the place/culture/language into my heart forever. :tongue: I'm far too poetic for my own good o.o

Exactly ! That's exactly what I try to tell people as well. But most of the time, I know that they can't appreciate such a good piece of advice (:cool:) so I just don't say anything and leave them to discover that they won't succeed the hard way.
And don't worry, I'm just as poetic as you are ! So many people are telling me that learning East Asian languages (especially Japanese, because of Japan's current economy blablabla) is useless, that I'd better learn Russian or Portuguese ... and even though I'm quite curious about Brazil/Portuguese, it's actually nothing compared to my love for China and Japan. Other countries/languages will just have to wait :rolleyes:

Let me know if you need any help with French btw :smile:

You're right, I guess that as characters and pinyin are indissociable to me, I can't imagine to only learn spoken Chinese. I actually know some people who can speak decent Chinese but can't read or write, but none of them is fluent, so in my brain it's something that's not so good.
Call me old-fashioned, but I don't know any really good online resources for Chinese, I prefer to use books .. would you happen to know one ?

Exactly ! That's exactly what I try to tell people as well. But most of the time, I know that they can't appreciate such a good piece of advice (:cool:) so I just don't say anything and leave them to discover that they won't succeed the hard way.
And don't worry, I'm just as poetic as you are ! So many people are telling me that learning East Asian languages (especially Japanese, because of Japan's current economy blablabla) is useless, that I'd better learn Russian or Portuguese ... and even though I'm quite curious about Brazil/Portuguese, it's actually nothing compared to my love for China and Japan. Other countries/languages will just have to wait :rolleyes:

Let me know if you need any help with French btw :smile:

I just want to say that it's good to see people talking about learning a language because of an interest in a culture. The thing that annoys me the most about telling people that I'm going to be studying Japanese is being asked "why not Chinese?" purely based on the fact that there are more links to China in the UK. I have nothing against the country it just doesn't interest me in the same way as Japan. Some people don't seem to understand that I'm only going to dedicate four years of my life to studying a language if I'm interested in more than just the language. After all, a language is more a means to an end (understanding a country and its people) than anything else.

Anyway, just good to see some like-minded people but I feel like I'm getting into too much of a rant so I'll stop now. :tongue:
Reply 4917
Racently I've been using this website for grammar and liking it more and more: http://resources.allsetlearning.com/chinese/grammar/Main_Page
(Including a page on C1 grammar points, and links to Yale's usage dictionary)

Everything's hyperlinked so you can click around for hours exploring the grammar.
(edited 10 years ago)
The dictionary said '(doen) besluiten' :redface:

And that wasn't an answer to my original question :wink: why give up on us? :frown: I thought it was meant to last... </3

"beschliessen tun" lol those things are too literal :rolleyes:

I changed my mind again, Ich werde im September anfangen mit Franzoesisch und Naturwissenschaft fuer GCSE zu lernen :tongue:. Aber Deutsch, Niederlaendisch und Anthropologie, finde ich am wichzigsten, also machst du dich keine Sorgen, denn ich werde meine liebe Forumsprachlerners hier ueberhaupt nicht verlassen :')
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4919
Original post by Kolya
Racently I've been using this website for grammar and liking it more and more: http://resources.allsetlearning.com/chinese/grammar/Main_Page
(Including a page on C1 grammar points, and links to Yale's usage dictionary)

Everything's hyperlinked so you can click around for hours exploring the grammar.

That looks like a really useful resource, I'm going to have a better look when I have more time! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending