The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Honestly I thought the gap between exam finishing and school holidays starting flew by.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JBrizland
Hi, I am really worried about my maths exam. If worst come to the worst with my maths exam which I sat with Edexcel and I got a D how would I go about sitting another exam as a candidate outside of college in the November or January examination series? Thanks in advance for answering this question.

Hey :smile:

Firstly, just to let you know, you won't be able to resit in January anymore (although you can resit in November).

So you plan on resitting privately? If so, firstly, you'll need to fins a centre that is willing to take you. This may help you find a centre: http://www.edexcel.com/i-am-a/student/private-candidates/Pages/Where-can-I-take-a-GCSE.aspx

The centre you're with should then be able to help you with registration and costs.

Also, are you just finishing year 11 and going into college? If so, you *may* be given the chance to resit this exam alongside studying for your next set of qualifications at college. You'll need to ask them if they're willing to let you do this though. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
The idea of results day looming ahead is constantly at the back of my mind... I wouldn't care if I didn't go to a good grammar school where everyone will be getting straight A's and better. The worse thing is that I could have done something to ease my nerves now... by revising! For most of my subjects, I didn't revise until the night before in bed using my phone's flashlight! In other subjects, I revised the 2 or 3 hours I had before the exam at school! So I know that if and when I fail (and by that I mean a B, which I know many would technically be ecstatic about, but with my parents, teachers, friends and peers, and most importantly with myself, eh no), it'll all be my fault and no-one elses. I've always regretted my approach to revising... but I just can't help it! I want to change but I just cannot bring myself to changing! It wouldn't have been so bad also if my school didn't require a number of A's to continue into 6th form... and since nobody actually bothers to look for another 6th form since everyone apart from those who wish to change schools are expected to get back in... I haven't applied for any... so if I don't get back in... I won't even have a college to go to... well I will since they send you somewhere... but how would I face people again?! The humiliation from my peers! This is killing me! Apart from maths, I cannot count another subject where I am certain an A let alone an A*! I took my Chinese GCSE out of school and got an A* for that but they've said that any subjects taken outside of school is not taken into consideration! I'm so screwed. I know I cannot change anything either... so why worry one might say. But how can I not worry?! I feel like such a failure right now and I don't even know my results yet...
I'm in a very bad situation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just like the one you are in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jellie88
Aww thanks but not sure I'll last with those subjects haha. Hehe :tongue:. I admire your subject choices - you've got English as well as science subjects! :eek:

Aw thanks, I was debating over Physics and Eng Lit for AGES, with Einstein muttering in one ear and Shakespeare in the other -_- In the end, I decided that Lit is something I enjoy (much unlike Physics) and versatility and all that stuff. And for some reason, I couldn't imagine leaving one of the 'core three' subjects behind...yeah, I'm a sentimental freak :biggrin: :tongue:
Original post by 3mma_gal96
Yeah I go back on the 4th :smile:
Feeling really nervous though (for results day, not school).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here :redface:
Original post by usycool1
Hey :smile:

Firstly, just to let you know, you won't be able to resit in January anymore (although you can resit in November).

So you plan on resitting privately? If so, firstly, you'll need to fins a centre that is willing to take you. This may help you find a centre: http://www.edexcel.com/i-am-a/student/private-candidates/Pages/Where-can-I-take-a-GCSE.aspx

The centre you're with should then be able to help you with registration and costs.

Also, are you just finishing year 11 and going into college? If so, you *may* be given the chance to resit this exam alongside studying for your next set of qualifications at college. You'll need to ask them if they're willing to let you do this though. :smile:

Yes, I will be attending College and they have told me I can resit in Summer next year, but I really wanted to get it over while the revision is fresh and so I can concentrate on my AS Level exams next summer.
24 days left ...
Reply 1168
Original post by ResultInExcellence
The idea of results day looming ahead is constantly at the back of my mind... I wouldn't care if I didn't go to a good grammar school where everyone will be getting straight A's and better. The worse thing is that I could have done something to ease my nerves now... by revising! For most of my subjects, I didn't revise until the night before in bed using my phone's flashlight! In other subjects, I revised the 2 or 3 hours I had before the exam at school! So I know that if and when I fail (and by that I mean a B, which I know many would technically be ecstatic about, but with my parents, teachers, friends and peers, and most importantly with myself, eh no), it'll all be my fault and no-one elses. I've always regretted my approach to revising... but I just can't help it! I want to change but I just cannot bring myself to changing! It wouldn't have been so bad also if my school didn't require a number of A's to continue into 6th form... and since nobody actually bothers to look for another 6th form since everyone apart from those who wish to change schools are expected to get back in... I haven't applied for any... so if I don't get back in... I won't even have a college to go to... well I will since they send you somewhere... but how would I face people again?! The humiliation from my peers! This is killing me! Apart from maths, I cannot count another subject where I am certain an A let alone an A*! I took my Chinese GCSE out of school and got an A* for that but they've said that any subjects taken outside of school is not taken into consideration! I'm so screwed. I know I cannot change anything either... so why worry one might say. But how can I not worry?! I feel like such a failure right now and I don't even know my results yet...

Hmm I'm in a similar position at our Grammar, however it seems most people won't be getting straight A's anyway so I'm a bit safer... Sixth Form here only requires 5 C grades, and B/As in what you want to take, so I should easily get that!
Reply 1169
Original post by Sandra1
24 days left ...

ARH!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:
who is afraid that they will not achieve there predicted grades?
Reply 1171
Original post by Sandra1

I have 10 A*s predicted --no pressure!---and i might get a few ... if I'm lucky so i am very nervous, scared, hating this horrible wait for results day:frown: I would rather have been told at the start of the hols so i could just chill out:biggrin::rolleyes:
Original post by Sandra1

Predicted 11A*s.... No ****ingg way that's gonna happen.. I predict myself 7A*s and 4As

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1173
Original post by Sandra1

Does it honestly matter? Our predicted grades were made up from the CATS results in Y7, which nobody here took seriously as we weren't told about them and what they were for. All our teachers know our p. grades are a pile of rubbish and therefore everybody stopped caring about them after year 8 :rolleyes:

Is anyone's school the same as this or are your grades predicted more accurately and have different attitudes towards them etc?
Original post by Tibbz2
Does it honestly matter? Our predicted grades were made up from the CATS results in Y7, which nobody here took seriously as we weren't told about them and what they were for. All our teachers know our p. grades are a pile of rubbish and therefore everybody stopped caring about them after year 8 :rolleyes:

Is anyone's school the same as this or are your grades predicted more accurately and have different attitudes towards them etc?

Ours are predicted really accurately.. We had mocks at the end of year 10 which they base them on highly.. And then they look at our homework record and if we regularly do our homework to a high standard then they thînk we are likely to work hard for our gcses so they take that into account for our predicted grades.. We also do tests throughout the year that they work an average out for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wanted 4/5 A*s, but I will be lucky to get even one.
Original post by haroon77
I wanted 4/5 A*s, but I will be lucky to get even one.

Exactly the same here :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't revise much either
Reply 1178
Original post by gracey11
Ours are predicted really accurately.. We had mocks at the end of year 10 which they base them on highly.. And then they look at our homework record and if we regularly do our homework to a high standard then they thînk we are likely to work hard for our gcses so they take that into account for our predicted grades.. We also do tests throughout the year that they work an average out for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ouch sucks to be you lot then, our school must be pretty relaxed on them!
Original post by Tibbz2

Well for ours, we had to do CAGs, MAGs, and TAGs :L CAGs were what we got in the winter and summer exams - they were our Current Attainment Grade - and then our MAGs were what we got in some aptitude testy thing so they were our Minimum Attainment Grade. And then TAGS were Target Attainment Grades so they were roughly about a grade above the MAG or the same as it, depending on the CAG. Except it didn't work really well and people got MAGs of A*s but CAGs of Bs and the system got annoyed because they shou;dn't be getting below the MAG and then they couldn't set a TAG below the MAG and it was a bit messed up and nobody really paid attention to them haha :L

Latest